Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [DF2010] Doors break pathing.  (Read 7213 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[DF2010] Doors break pathing.
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:06:03 pm »

So I had a nice little fort, completely underground with a little tower up top. I put a door in the tower to the outside, and suddenly, nobody could do anything. I mean, anything. They couldnt work in the masons shop five tiles away. They couldnt even build a wall.

I then got rid of the door, and everything went back to normal.

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF2010] Doors break pathing.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:09:36 pm »

I think there's more than one pathing bug going on. I've had several cases where dwarves were unable to build because they couldn't path to the materials, or whatever. Nothing quite as cut and dried as your door thing. I'll have to reproduce that myself.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:47:46 pm »

I have as well.  I think if you build something (door, workshop, anything) in an existing path, the dwarves get confused and stop.  Saving and loading seems to fix the path for the time being.  I had a traffic jam when I built a mechanic workshop in my main hallway.  Removing it did nothing- I had to save and reload, then everyone ran off to do something.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:25:00 pm »

thanks - had the same problem. I had built a half-wall around the ramps into my underground fortress and suddenly spammed with 'drop-off site inaccessible' messages, and the dorfs just halted in around the walls. they happily removed the walls beside them but wouldnt move. Saving and reloading worked.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 06:37:32 pm »

I can confirm this, I had a mechanic standing around doing nothing when he was halfway through building a pump.  I cancelled the pump and he still stood around doing nothing.  Trying to rebuild the pump, only the materials on the right side of the door were accessible!  Ditching the door fixed this.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 06:47:06 pm »

I've found that a lot of pathing bugs can be worked around using creative tricks with burrows, but they're still a nuisance.

In this case, try defining a burrow linking the dwarf and where he needs to go. It may help cause pathing recalculation.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

dualR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 07:17:54 pm »

Just a random possibility: You are not using SPEED:0 are you? I have noticed this reliably breaks pathing for me. If you need to cheat for whatever reason, use SPEED:1

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:48:40 pm »

I built a door at the entrance to my underground fort, broke pathing, saved and reloaded and that fixed the pathing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 08:19:34 pm »

It has nothing to do with speed. Thanks god reloading fixes it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 09:15:44 pm »

Seems building a wall in a popular path does this as well, as they can't realise they need to step around it til the next day.  Was there some pathing fix there pathable areas are only calculated once a day rather than once a pathing?

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 09:36:19 pm »

I just used a door to inadvertently fix a pathing bug.

I was trying to dig a tunnel directly underneath an expanse of water (so that I could later drop the ceiling on it and puncture it all along its length) and knew I'd be facing endless cancellations due to damp walls. Rather than mess around with burrows just yet, I installed a door at the entrance to the mine face. As soon as a miner got inside I locked it, so that I could re-designate the tunnel face with every cancellation and the miner would only have that task available.

The miner would get several tiles in, and then just stop. I believe that the freshly mined-out tile was sometimes not being included in the pathable area. There would be no other tasks he could do, so he'd just stand there with "No Job". Until I unlocked the door, at which point he would suddenly realize that he could reach a mining-designated tile and resume work. I assume that when a door is locked/unlocked it forces a refresh of the pathing.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 06:46:00 am »

I just had this happen to me, except it wasn't out of the blue. I have no idea what caused it to happen, but a tile with a door on it turned completely black. Confused, I deconstructed the door. The door by itself showed up fine. Built a new door there, suddenly the tile was black again and pathing was broken despite the wall having a second door two tiles away. Ever since then, dwarves have gotten stuck at various parts of the fort.

Building a third door after some time made the door show back up, but dwarves were still getting lost in completely unrelated and mostly open areas underground.

ASnogarD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 08:04:11 am »

I found setting the doors to be Internal sorted out most of the pathing issues related to doors... some of my issues were related to 2 or more dwarves trying to fetch rocks in a tight corridor ( 1 dwarf spaced ), made worse by those [expletive] cats.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59:56 am »

Pathing breaks for any building you set. If you notice, the dwarf who creates a workshop will stand in the workshop for quite some time until his pathing updates. I put a Kennel in my common area and like 5 dwarves were caught in its footprint and couldn't move or do anything. At least three stayed there until they fell asleep. I had a mass build of some doors for my housing complex and like half the dwarves ended up getting stuck after placing it.

If I had to pick two things for Toady to fix first it would be the planting bug and this one.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 09:35:56 am »

I figured out that an easy workaround to all pathing problems is to just lock and immediately unlock a random door somewhere, probably resetting the pathing grid (or however toady stores pathing info) it causes a slight pause though when unpausing the game again. It's a good exercise to do this every time something major changes in how dwarves get somewhere, (e.g. stairs get removed, a new door gets set or a section of the map gets walled off) This fixed almost all pathing related weirdness for me. I guess for some reason the game doesn't do this on its own anymore when something major in the map changes, at least not always.
Pages: [1] 2