Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Embark in the new version  (Read 2743 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark in the new version
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 03:44:21 pm »

for shame, tarn. -5 dollars from my next donation.

That's a little harsh.

If you want to get rid of barrel abuse (or bag abuse appearance), don't exploit the game. It's not as if you're competing with other abusers or somehow compelled to abuse it.

How about this: I get to decide how I donate my own money?  Maybe I'd prefer a game that's actually well-balanced and well-thought out so that I don't have to personally say "Well I COULD play this way, and it's definitely a better way to play, but I'm just going to NOT play that way because if I were the designer I would have changed that already."

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 03:53:15 pm »

How about this: I get to decide how I donate my own money?  Maybe I'd prefer a game that's actually well-balanced and well-thought out so that I don't have to personally say "Well I COULD play this way, and it's definitely a better way to play, but I'm just going to NOT play that way because if I were the designer I would have changed that already."
Wow. Somebody had cranky-o's for breakfast this morning.

It's nice to see an Embark menu that requires some balancing, especially since I'm finding there is a lot more to do in the fort than there used to be, so it's a bit tougher to get the infrastructure to build everything from components. It's a new ballgame.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 03:55:06 pm »

"Just don't do it" is such a stupid response.  It is worse game because it is possible to do it, whether or not I (or even anybody) actually does it.

Zakastra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 03:59:49 pm »

"Just don't do it" is such a stupid response.  It is worse game because it is possible to do it, whether or not I (or even anybody) actually does it.
because it is possible to do it

I think somebody just missed the point of a sandbox game with more of the game being moved into the notepad editable raws each push

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 04:07:20 pm »

preach it, brother.  i cant stand single player games where its possible for other people to cheat or abuse the system for their own personal ammusement.  im joining the boycott as of now.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 04:18:43 pm »

How does it constitute abuse?  How do you imagine meat could possibly be transported to your embark site without spoiling when exposed to the elements over a long journey?  I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't eat a turtle that was fresh, let alone one that had been baking in the sun for two weeks on the back of a wagon. :-X

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 05:23:31 pm »

How does it constitute abuse?
You do not pay for automatically added containers for food. Each type of meat go to its own new container (they stack in container only if it is same type). Do the math.

Fixes:
- make actually paying for additional containers and mark them in embark screen in special way (to mark fact that they are added/removed automatically).
- stack different type of food in same proper container.
Best would be doing it both.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 05:41:39 pm »

I know! Just the other week, I was ranting incoherently about cheats in single-player games when some guy said "then don't use them." What the hell?? Don't use cheats which I completely despise?? Maybe I'd prefer a game that's actually well-balanced and well-thought out so that I don't have to personally say "Well I COULD play this way, and it's definitely a better way to play, but I'm just going to NOT play that way because if I were the designer I would have changed that already."

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 05:44:20 pm »

preach it, brother.  i cant stand single player games where its possible for other people to cheat or abuse the system for their own personal ammusement.  im joining the boycott as of now.

I know, I hate it when I'm aware that people out there are exploiting small oversights to get a tiny advantage in a completely singleplayer game.

(and that these small exploits are somehow terrible when the easily moddable options that come with the game can remove absolutely all of the challenge if I want)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:48:19 pm by Chicken Launcher »
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 06:44:09 pm »

I know, I hate it when I'm aware that people out there are exploiting small oversights to get a tiny advantage in a completely singleplayer game.

(and that these small exploits are somehow terrible when the easily moddable options that come with the game can remove absolutely all of the challenge if I want)

Err, I just noticed this... you can change the number of embark points as one of the options in world gen. in fact, a lot of the options in world gen have shown me why the site finder isn't really required anymore...

I'm not going to say that you shouldn't be able to choose where you send your money to, that's why it's donation based and not a set price. I do find it strange however that people complain about something as trivial as being able to take free barrels with you at embark, when an option in the game allows you to set your embark points to 10000 and buy pretty much anything you want...
Pages: 1 [2]