Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The fortress of 'Lightgates' - destroyed by foul forces from the deeps. SPOILERS  (Read 1045 times)

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile

THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILAAHHHHHSSSS

With glee, I downloaded the new version.

And it has not disappointed.

I can proudly say that my fortress was the first to be utterly destroyed by the new demonic forces present in the bowels of the earth.

Everything started well - we began our dig into the side of the mountain, quickly finding minerals and gems-galore.

The overseer decided that we must begin to plumb the deepest depths of the land for riches and treasure, and so we began to dig a shaft - a shaft so deep that anything that is down there was bound to be found.

And we dug, and we dug, until suddenly...

A cavern! We broke through the roof of this huge expanse and saw pillars of rock rising from the water, reaching the roof!

Undeterred; for we found no hostile creatures therein, we dug down through one of these pillars and continued our journey.

Eventually, the earth grew hot and our miners began to worry about what lay below us.
We pressed on! No heat was going to stop our digging!

Disaster! Molten magma began to flow into the tunnels, and our miners barely got away with their lives!
We had realised that there were huge pillars of gleaming, blue-gold metal rising from the magma, and decided we would use these to descend past this layer of molten-earth.

This glorious metal shone brighter than the magma it grew from, and my men were pleased with what we had found - but still, we must go deeper!

So through the pillars of gleaming metal we dug, deeper and deeper, until suddenly we broke through into another cavern, and a deathly chill descended upon the miners...

Swirling purple lights and glowing pits at the bottom of this cavern - we instantly knew we had dug too far...

The screams... oh god the screams...

Then suddenly, out of the darkness came creatures.. Twisted, mis-shapen and ghastly...

Made of snow, salt, fire, embers and filth, these demons immediately swarmed the tunnels, slaughering my men mercilessly. We fought back, hacking and slashing, but it was no use....

The fortress had succumbed to demonic invasion.

And so the fortress of Lightgates became a part of history, and will forever be remembered as the first fortress to succumb to the deeps...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:29:24 am by Beacon »

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They are.... beautiful.
Can you safely use the magma without breaching the HFS?

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile

They are.... beautiful.
Can you safely use the magma without breaching the HFS?

Yeah, the HFS was a good 10 layers below the magma.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile

I just had the same thing happen, I was using the standard 15 zlevels and it it at 9. Good times!