Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56472 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2010, 12:15:05 am »

To get to a magma sea you need to go though an open cavern full of creatures, and toady has already said that there is a chance an entire antman army coming for you, and batmen riding on giant bats shooting poison darts in a never ending siege. What are you going to do, encase your entire fortress in lava? They will come from above and below, so now a single bottle neck defense leading into a lava trap will be a lot harder.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2010, 12:18:16 am »

What is this 'easy' you speak of?

We dwarves only know 'fun'.

phi2dao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2010, 12:21:08 am »

Somebody make a hammer out of slade.
I gave a dwarf a slade war hammer in arena mode.  It destroyed bones straight through steel armor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2010, 12:31:46 am »

SLADE!
Righto, that's all for tonight folks, I'm tired and shall sleep soon.

Play DF far into the night, my fellow dwarves!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2010, 12:58:16 am »

Hit the magma sea on level 30. The kind of pump stack that would be required to get some of that closer to my fort doesn't seem worth it.

The underground still has a surprising lack of creatures other than a pack of chundlers, and a bunch of naked mole dogs that somehow got into the fort and are running around interrupting everyone's jobs while the small militia tries and fails to catch them.  ::)
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2010, 01:00:40 am »

I'm getting into the habit of building a small, weakly defended fortress in the first few earth layers, then later on constructing the real fortress in the layers between the magma ocean and the underground river.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2010, 01:11:38 am »

I'm getting into the habit of building a small, weakly defended fortress in the first few earth layers, then later on constructing the real fortress in the layers between the magma ocean and the underground river.
Yea I'm thinking of using the ward system to set up the top as kinnda a gate house
Thank you based dwarf.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2010, 01:14:08 am »

I would say my first impression is something like
Holy flaming dinosaurs, Batman!
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2010, 01:14:27 am »

One of my recently drafted, weaponless military dwarves saw a gazelle and attacked it.  He got to Legendary Wrestler and Legendary fighter, then died of thirst, because he couldn't kill it, and it was just sitting there in extreme pain, being unconscious.  All of my attempts to get the wrestler to stop were fruitless, and additional soldiers refused to attack the gazelle, even with a kill order.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2010, 01:15:40 am »

Uhh I have a question in this spoiler

Is there a way to check the raws of the creatures generated in your game? (the ones that were just generated) I can't find it. Ill keep looking though.

What is sad is I can see what creatures live in the world. I just can't see their raws :P.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:21:15 am by Neonivek »

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2010, 01:18:35 am »

Been dinking around with the arena a bit... Something I found odd is that when playing as a fox fighting a kobold, the kobold would often grab me by one tooth. Among the wrestling options were just breaking the hold. One would think that in a situation where an opponent grabs me by the tooth, there would be an option to just bite down. Biting seemed to work well in other parts of the fight, though. *chomp*
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2010, 01:27:38 am »

Been dinking around with the arena a bit... Something I found odd is that when playing as a fox fighting a kobold, the kobold would often grab me by one tooth. Among the wrestling options were just breaking the hold. One would think that in a situation where an opponent grabs me by the tooth, there would be an option to just bite down. Biting seemed to work well in other parts of the fight, though. *chomp*

It would be nice but that is insanely situational
Thank you based dwarf.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2010, 01:29:56 am »

It would be nice but that is insanely situational

You'd think so, but that kobold seemed to want to grab me by the tooth an awful lot. Maybe it's because there were just that there are many of them compared to the number of limbs plus fingers a fox is generated with.

Anyway no matter what manner of Grandmaster skill advantages I gave myself over the kobold, the fights always seemed to end with him strangling me to death. :P
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2010, 01:32:18 am »

Seems like too many bugs making things not work right, plus I want the mayday graphics to work right, so I can wait.

Having quite a bit of fun with arena mode though.

Xelek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2010, 01:34:41 am »

So, I just created Brainbaked The Awe-inspiring Cake Of Doom and so far it's been a blast.

- Rainbow kittens - descriptions mention different colors for pretty much every body part. In fact, descriptions in general tend to be quite funny no matter which creature you look at.
- There doesn't seem to be priorities as to where workers prefer to stand when doing jobs anymore. My mason consequently walled himself in the channel I used to muddy my farms.
- Seems like I won't have to crash parties and have as many dwarves on the same jobs anymore! Yes, in this version, dwarves don't mind hunger, thirst or fatigue as long as there's stuff to do, they'll work relentlessly!

Other than that, getting used to the new and improved interface, praying I can find bones and shells in the stockpiles at some point before they litter the entire place. Scratching my head over some FPS drops, but I figured it can't be helped with so many z-levels and all the unknown features on the site. For some reason, channelling tiles has resulted in channels, which doesn't seem to be the case for everyone...

Now to designate a 160 levels deep shaft and having some Fun..! It's a good day to be a dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36