Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: And suddenly, I thought different about elves...  (Read 2622 times)

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
And suddenly, I thought different about elves...
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:55:26 am »

I just got some elven traders stop by... Here's what they brought me:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Needless to say, first thing I did was add  [Thttp://RAINABLE] to a certain monster in the raws  ;D

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:45:11 am by Eviltyphoon »
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: And suddenly, I thought different about elves...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:58:45 am »

You are now aware that those scorpions probably have most of their body parts damaged.
It's common amongst elves, they smack their animals with trees until the said animals get some kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:07:23 am »

perhaps, but that is a breeding pair.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 07:35:34 am »

You are now aware that those scorpions probably have most of their body parts damaged.
It's common amongst elves, they smack their animals with trees until the said animals get some kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

All threee of the animals I bought (2 giant scorpions, 1 giant leopard) are at perfect health  :)
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:42:07 am »

The reason Elf traded animals often have injuries is due to the animals being dragged into climates they can't handle; if a hot-climate animal gets dragged into a cold climate (or visa versa) they suffer brown injuries to body parts from exposure, if it's really bad they die and you get free corpses with your cages.

Giant Desert Scorpions don't seem to have many issues with exposure; i've had them survive happily on a glacier, so yeah.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:51:15 am »

It's a shame they will only get you cloth after a few years, but at least it's worth letting them live.

For now.

Don't giant scorpions have building destroyer tags? If so, you may want to consider not letting them out of the cages, Fun can happen when they just walk around.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:52:55 am »

I just got some elven traders stop by... Here's what they brought me:

Needless to say, first thing I did was add  [Thttp://RAINABLE] to a certain monster in the raws  ;D

In my previous fort, I had the exact same thing happen, though I responded not by adding [TRAINABLE] but by adding [CHILD].
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:53:58 am »

It's a shame they will only get you cloth after a few years, but at least it's worth letting them live.

The trick to stop them doing that is to give them really low profit; it's been concluded that if you give traders high profit, they bring more valuable items next year. The problem is, for the Elves cloth is the most valuable item by weight that they can bring. So if you give them lots of profit they load up on cloth and run out of space for anything else.

The same thing happens with Humies and Dorfs, but they have wagons that can carry loads more stuff, so the first wagon gets all the cltoh and then the other wagons get everything else. But the Elves just have donkeys, which can't carry much, so they run out of space.

If you steal everything from a caravan for a year or two, they'll start bringing good stuff again.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:03:41 am »

For now.

Don't giant scorpions have building destroyer tags? If so, you may want to consider not letting them out of the cages, Fun can happen when they just walk around.

[BUILDINGDESTOYER:1]

I let them out of the cages, and they haven't broken anything... yet

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 09:29:39 am »

For now.

[BUILDINGDESTOYER:1]

I let them out of the cages, and they haven't broken anything... yet

Sometimes Buildingdestroyers go on statue-destroying rampages. Other times they sit calmly and never harm a fly.

And sometimes they just suddenly go nuts, knock over a nearby statue, and then never destroy another building ever again.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 09:33:23 am »

The trick to stop them doing that is to give them really low profit; it's been concluded that if you give traders high profit, they bring more valuable items next year. The problem is, for the Elves cloth is the most valuable item by weight that they can bring. So if you give them lots of profit they load up on cloth and run out of space for anything else.

Technically, the stuff they bring is probably influenced not only by profit but also by your increasing wealth. Also, the issue isn't with cloth being valuable but with all traders loading up bins before anything else, where the elves just run out of room before getting to the good stuff.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 09:38:04 am »

Solution: Edit the raws to remove elves' ability to make cloth

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 09:40:34 am »

Technically, the stuff they bring is probably influenced not only by profit but also by your increasing wealth. Also, the issue isn't with cloth being valuable but with all traders loading up bins before anything else, where the elves just run out of room before getting to the good stuff.

And then there was NW_Kohaku who added 00 to the trade capacity of all pack animals...

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=50073.0

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 09:41:48 am »

That would be the Outdoor Farming token, which means they will also stop bringing food, seeds, booze, dye and the like.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 10:35:53 am »

Or give them wagons.

Personally, I just carefully watch their profit margins and kill them every so often.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2 3