Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: And suddenly, I thought different about elves...  (Read 2616 times)

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: And suddenly, I thought different about elves...
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 10:44:22 am »

Wouldn't removing the clothier and weaver jobs from the permitted jobs list in the entity file do the trick?

I think I'ma try that next.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:47:33 am »

Hi!

First of all, that is no real big news for me. In mosts of my fortresses, I have giant eagles, and one of my most exciting fortresses had some breeding bears (I don't recall the exact type) which helped fend off goblin attackers on several occasions (I usually rely on traps for that job, so they have no military competition (^_^;; ).

Secondly, at least in my current fortress, profit margin is not stopping them from bringing more and more animals. I always buy all large creature animals (anything that is not vermin) with a fair profit and also some extra bonus for the druids - in return, they bring me about a dozen cages now with three to six animals ranging from goats, foxes, macaques, racoons, to Giant Leopards (breeding), Giant Jaguars, and that Scorpion. Although no bear yet in this fortress (^_^;;

Thus far, I never had any problems with my odd animals doing any harm to my people, although I have to admit this is my first Giant Scorpion.

Deathworks

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 11:06:30 am »

It's a shame they will only get you cloth after a few years, but at least it's worth letting them live.

For now.

Don't giant scorpions have building destroyer tags? If so, you may want to consider not letting them out of the cages, Fun can happen when they just walk around.

[BUILDINGDESTOYER:1]

I let them out of the cages, and they haven't broken anything... yet

[BUILDINGDESTOYER:1] only wrecks wooden items IIRC. [BUILDINGDESTOYER:2] Wrecks stone/metal items as well. So as long as you don't have any wooden items you should be ok, I think.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:50 am »

Animals brought from traders are ALWAYS fully trained/tamed.  No need to add the trainable tag.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 11:13:51 am »

They are TAME, but not TRAINED. Training them would make a War Giant Desert Scorpion, for example.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 11:14:38 am »

They are TAME, but not TRAINED. Training them would make a War Giant Desert Scorpion, for example.
Ma badd.  I forgot about that lol.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 12:00:13 pm »

Wouldn't removing the clothier and weaver jobs from the permitted jobs list in the entity file do the trick?

I think I'ma try that next.

We had a discussion about this in the modding section (modding goblins for a kobold camp game), as we were trying to get goblins to bring wood (they have an axe and the wood cutter job, so everyone was thinking they should bring wood, but they don'), they also lacked any farming tag and farming labors (thus no plants/seeds/booze/cloth). Elves lack an axe and the woodcutter job, yet they bring wood, they have one of the farming tokens but lack the farming/brewing tokens yet they bring plants, seeds and booze.

The conclusion is that the job tokens do not affect what the civ brings for trade, but the exact token(s) which determine the deliver of what goods are a little vague at the moment. I strongly suspect that the farming token controls wood/plants/seeds/booze but have not tested it yet (dwarves have underground farming and bring underground plants and underground wood, Elves and Humans have above ground farming and bring above ground plants and above ground wood).

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 12:10:29 pm »

It's a shame they will only get you cloth after a few years, but at least it's worth letting them live.

For now.

Don't giant scorpions have building destroyer tags? If so, you may want to consider not letting them out of the cages, Fun can happen when they just walk around.

[BUILDINGDESTOYER:1] only wrecks wooden items IIRC. [BUILDINGDESTOYER:2] Wrecks stone/metal items as well. So as long as you don't have any wooden items you should be ok, I think.

[BUILDINGDESTOYER:1] can destroy hatches, doors, supports, statues, windows, and archery targets.  2 can kill anything not built with b -> C.  Material doesn't matter.

Source:  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Building_destroyer
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 12:12:22 pm »

I just got some elven traders stop by... Here's what they brought me:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Needless to say, first thing I did was add  [Thttp://RAINABLE] to a certain monster in the raws  ;D

n00b question - but how do you get that window (with an ability to see all creatures and mark them for slaughter as desired?)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 12:20:27 pm »

z > Animals tab across the top.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 12:23:44 pm »

For now.

[BUILDINGDESTOYER:1] can destroy hatches, doors, supports, statues, windows, and archery targets.  2 can kill anything not built with b -> C.  Material doesn't matter.

Not according to Today: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22625.msg249117#msg249117

I think we need to update the Wiki. Or test it with Science.
Come play Mafia with us!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 12:31:32 pm »

For now.

Not according to Today: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22625.msg249117#msg249117

I think we need to update the Wiki. Or test it with Science.

The friendly destroyer part is Bug 757.

BD=1 will go after wooden hatches, wooden doors, supports, statues, windows and archery targets only.  They can't destroy homes during world gen as (semi)megabeasts.  It doesn't impact the building seeking code.

Looks like BD1 destroys more than only wooden items (I can't ever recall a wooden window).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 12:34:45 pm »

Indeed. Reading comprehension is a bit low this morning due to lack of sleep.

But, yeah, sorry, I was just remembering the Wooden doors and whatnot. Forgot that the statues and supports and such didn't need to be wood.
Come play Mafia with us!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 01:15:32 pm »

I always liked trading with elves. Fresh meat still on the beast, wood, overland crops, a little booze, cloth and dye enough to keep my dwarves from running about naked, wooden training weapons; really not bad trading partners overall. Honestly all I ever regret about elves is their complete lack of iron or steel. I like a challenge if war breaks out, you know? I actually modded in Noldor for this purpose; they trade in winter and there is much trade to be had between our two peoples.

Really, once I renamed rope reed 'flax' they became quite respectable sorts.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 09:39:30 pm »

Hi!

After a few years, there is still no problem with my Giant Desert Scorpion, even though all areas where people gather have statues around and there are also windows and wooden doors along the way (but not passed, I think).

I checked the bug report and the report it links to, and they always mention independent creatures being unreliable. So, I am wondering whether this uncertain behavior of building destroyers has been confirmed for (TAME) creatures as well. After all, there had been the bug with the incompletely tamed creatures that had blood on their fangs, so I wouldn't be surprised if (TAME) creatures actually behaved different. So, any confirmation on this?

Deathworks
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:41:16 pm by Deathworks »
Pages: 1 [2] 3