Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First Try at Modding DF: New creature/civilization  (Read 1563 times)

Bentusi16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Try at Modding DF: New creature/civilization
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:22:15 pm »

If you try, try for something so great people will be amazed at how far you fell.

So I decided to try my hand at modding Dwarf Fortress for some reason, and I created a race based on my old favorite Everquest race, the Iksar.

This is what I have so far. Using spoilers since theirs so much.

This is the body stuff. I mostly just copy/pasted it from the body_default.txt

Got rid of because apparently I didn't need it. D'oh!

Creature file. Some copy/pasting, typing out quite a bit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Civ/Entity file, lot of copy pastes and edit.

I'm curious as to what I could add to make it work/better. RIght now i'm having a hard time getting a world to gen so I might make them non-civ controllable and give that distinction to the dwarves and just test running them in Adventure mode.

Update: In Adventurer mode, I'm getting "Iksar: Play now!" but also...Cave Crocodiles of X. the Play Now creates an iksar using a human tile piece with no weapons, armor, or clothes.

Looking at the legends, it seems for some reason that all my Iksar civilizations are Cave Crocodiles.

Update: Fixed the crocodile fun. Thankyou Lofn for pointing out where I screwed up! I'm getting ready to test them in fortress mode. Also, am going to update the codes above to reflect their current form as it shifts.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:23:20 am by Bentusi16 »

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Try at Modding DF: New creature/civilization
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:26:32 am »

Sounds like you have a duplicate entry somewhere causing the funny crocodile antics, check through to make sure there aren't any creatures, bodyparts or Civs that share the same name in the code.

Bentusi16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:33:52 am »

What do you mean exactly?

If there is an issue I'm thinking it's probably with the body.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:36:50 am »

Your entity file and body file are initialized as entity_default and body_default.  They should be initialized as entity/body_iskar or whatever they're saved as.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Bentusi16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:46:16 am »

ha, no figure that fixed it, thankyou. Now I need to get them Fortress Mode playable. I may even go further and add custom other stuffs to go along with the race.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:49:14 am »

This isn't terribly relevant, but why have you added an Iksar body type then used the standard humanoid one?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Bentusi16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 12:54:41 am »

Because Iksar are humanoids, but they have tails. I decided not to give them the Tails with the Stance addon because I felt it would make then wayyyy weak in combat.

Or am I misunderstanding? And no, this is really relevant actually. It's my first anythingclosetoamodification so I'm happy to take criticism and advice. Like if you had some to make them more Iksar.

I figured it would also make it easier to go in and modify them.

Reference:

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 01:03:03 am »

Well, as it is you've added a body template called IKSAR that covers all of the limbs, joints and organs present in the standard template, plus a tail.  Then in your creature definition you just used the HUMANOID body and ignored your IKSAR one completely.  I assume it's just due to an incomplete understanding of how the bodies work - if you wanted to use your IKSAR body you would replace
with

Honestly I suggest deleting that giant mass of bodyparts and replacing it with just the [STANCE]-free tail, and using the body setup in your current creature definition, since otherwise you're adding redundant bits.  Does that make sense?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Bentusi16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 01:07:49 am »

So by using the standard [BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TAIL]

I can just smack the regular non-stance tail into the body_iksar file and it would have a default humanoid with a tail? Sorry, I'm literally flying by the seat of my pants on how to mod, I tried following the modding tutorial on the wiki but whoever wrote the body one was not an English speaker first and I just couldn't follow along.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:43 am »

You don't actually need the body_iksar file right now.  Adding TAIL to the end of the bog standard HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:ETC line you already have gives them a humanoid body with a tail.  You only really need to play with the body files if you want to add something nonstandard like a tail that's also a [liMB], or mandibles, or jet turbines.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Bentusi16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 01:14:53 am »

Oh well that helps quite a bite, I spent most of the time fiddling with the body because I was worried they were going to spawn with their guts on the outside or something.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 01:16:58 am »

I'm not sure that's possible, unless you made all their organs actual bodyparts rather than internal bits.

... brb, modding in a new HFS creature.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Bentusi16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 01:18:52 am »

Can I give creative credit for that? :P

Also, is it possible to create a creature that uses it's own internal organs as a thrown weapon?

Once I make sure everything is working in fortress mode i"m going to give item modding a try, and if I don't screw it up TO bad i'm going to give a real try at modding the Iksar properly.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 01:24:51 am »

Item modding is relatively simple compared to civ/creature modding. 

Sadly, thrown weapons aren't possible outside of tantrums and adventurer mode, let alone as natural weapons integrated into the creature itself.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Bentusi16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 01:32:19 am »

Alright then. Thankyou for all your help, I've tested them in fortress mode and everything seems to be working so far. And as a fun aside, my starting test area is infested with MANY CARP.
Pages: [1] 2