Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive Lag of Win 7  (Read 909 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Massive Lag of Win 7
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:13:53 pm »

Yeah I got a very low FPS when i play DF on my new Windows 7 OS. It's 32 bit. The thing is I played it fine when I had XP. Has this happened on anybody else's systems? I don't get lag with any other games. And most importantly are there any fixes?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Massive Lag of Win 7
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »

Yeah I got a very low FPS when i play DF on my new Windows 7 OS. It's 32 bit. The thing is I played it fine when I had XP. Has this happened on anybody else's systems? I don't get lag with any other games. And most importantly are there any fixes?

This happened to me, but I thought it was because of the fact I was now using a completely different system. Partial Print fixed it though. So did using the d# series.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 03:17:47 pm »

Partial Print, d# series?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 03:20:58 pm »

Partial Print, d# series?

Partial Print is enabled in the init file, and should make it run faster. The d# series is made by Baughn and should run faster. A link to d19, the latest, is in the news section. Try it out.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:42:56 pm »

I don't have any issues FPS wise and I'm using Windows 7. Occasionally when something is running in the background or something is trying to do whatever, it will cause a brief lag spike, but otherwise it acts normally.

I was having some FPS issues in another fort, but that one had inefficiency issues with pathing, so it wasn't Windows 7 causing it. I did a new fort and the FPS is as expected and it works just fine.

To the OP: Are you having alot of other stuff running? Either on desktop or in the background? Since DF can only use one core, having a whole bunch of stuff can cause a slowdown.

Also, when you start a new embark, is your FPS hitting the FPS cap? If its not, then that could be a clue.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:03:33 pm »

MSN and Steam? Maybe Skype as well

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 02:09:34 am »

I have same setup, Win7 32bit 3GB ram, 1,3GHz proc and df 40d19.2 runs smooth

with one exception: "Social City" on Facebook. This Flash monster kills CPU
so, watch for your CPU resources before starting DF
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 02:44:44 am »

Also remember that the video drivers Windows 7 comes with for nVidia and likely ATi have the worst support for OpenGL, make sure you upgrade them to your manufacturers drivers and try DF again.

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 06:45:55 am »

Works perfectly on windows 7, 4GB of ram, 2.6GHz processor

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 07:36:12 am »

Also remember that the video drivers Windows 7 comes with for nVidia and likely ATi have the worst support for OpenGL, make sure you upgrade them to your manufacturers drivers and try DF again.
This.
Single most important thing, never use Microsoft-supplied graphics drivers.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 08:54:52 am »

DF never plays fine...Ever. You can always have better.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?