Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, what the hell do I do?  (Read 838 times)

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
So, what the hell do I do?
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:56:23 am »

Alright, I was embarking on a new map, trying out new regions on a new map I made with the Map Painter. Well, I wasn't aware there was a cave on the map. I played for about two years before discovering it, and what's more, it appears part of it was cut off, as I discovered it from underground. Well, I start exploring the tunnels and things turn into Reign of Fire on me. For those of you who have never seen that movie, a dragon that was hiding in a tunnel under London wakes up when they are digging tunnels for an underground railway. The dragon comes out, and kills everyone. Now, here's the irony;
I sent in four people armed as best as they could be armed, as there was little metal around. A dragon suddenly comes out of no where and starts killing my four explorers. One of them I manage to get out of there, and then my stupid ass forgets to wall up the one entrance. The thing kills almost all citizens, except for a noble and five normal citizens.
So after an escape, we're now hiding in a hand dug cave in the mountain, the walls being the only thing keeping the dragon out is a wall made of nearby rock.
So, what the hell do I do? They're locked inside with no food or drink or any comforts. And that dragon seems like it would seriously love to make a meal of my dwarves.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, what the hell do I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:58:06 am »

Simple. Dig your way to the top, when you can flood the old caves with magma.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:04:34 am »

1. Dig to the other side of the map,
2. Wall off from dragon, if vanilla then dragon cannot fly.
3. Gather shrubs, set up aboveground farming and some food processing industry along with that (Kitchens, Farm workshops, querns, Stills) to feed your dwarves.
4. Wait for migrants.
5. Kill/Capture dragon.
6.  ???
7. Profit!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:06:54 am by Demonic Spoon »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:16:30 am »

You can also wait for a siege.

I've had goblin sieges take out megabeasts before.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:20:50 pm »

Simple. Dig your way to the top, when you can flood the old caves with magma.

Magma- the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:26:40 pm »

Dig up-stairs below the surface of the land, then designate channels over them - the dwarves will isolate the area from below. Then you can go up and get some wood and rock and build a cage and a mechanism. Dig to underneath the dragon and make an up-tile there, then put the cage trap one tile farther down the tunnel beside the up-stairs. Channel the dragon out from under. It'll be stunned for a second, your miner will run, the dragon will take a step forwards and then you've got a swanky new pet.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 01:43:02 pm »

A swanky new pet that your dwarves won't run from as it happily incinerates and eats anything in sight...
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 01:45:47 pm »

Dig around. Get the dragon sealed in your old fort. When migrants come, dig around the fort, and collapse it with the dragon still inside.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 05:22:50 pm »

Do you have any wood in your hole? If so, build a cage trap in the entrance and then open the entrance. Tada.