Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: 10,000 Leagues Under the... Earth? (Inspired by Undergrotto)  (Read 6307 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: 10,000 Leagues Under the... Earth? (Inspired by Undergrotto)
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 01:00:16 am »

btw, retro, how many in-game years did it take to make undergrotto?

In-game: Almost 14 years. Admittedly, after the first 4-5 years I turned on [SPEED:0] and in reality I should've been around 50 years. Out-of-game: average of 4-8 hours a day for a little over four months.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 05:45:09 pm »

btw, retro, how many in-game years did it take to make undergrotto?

In-game: Almost 14 years. Admittedly, after the first 4-5 years I turned on [SPEED:0] and in reality I should've been around 50 years. Out-of-game: average of 4-8 hours a day for a little over four months.
Nice. I got started on the [SPEED:0] wagon really fast. So that helps. It still will take some time, though. But that's okay by me.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 06:19:15 pm »

Mmhm. It helps a lot to designate all your crazy digging designations at once, prepare a bunch of food and water, then open up Dtil and turn on Unpause while you focus your attention on work or something. A checkup every now and then is often more than sufficient for that sort of thing. Keep track of the date on the z-screen too, just to gauge how much time goes by.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 06:26:31 pm »

Ah, thanks. I will do that. Well, I just boiled all the gabbro from my fortress. Resulted in 6 lost masterworks. A few of which belonged to your dwarf. He is sad, but he will be okay. In the meantime, I am repairing any damage that has been done.

DFMA link above
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:09:18 am by They Got Leader »
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 10:44:55 pm »

Out-of-game: average of 4-8 hours a day for a little over four months.

dude, thats not just a mega project, thats like a.........i dont even know what that is.....

they got leader, youve got your work cut out for you....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:47:46 pm by LoneJedi7 »
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:21 pm »

Out-of-game: average of 4-8 hours a day for a little over four months.

dude, thats not just a mega project, thats like a.........i dont even know what that is.....

Mmhm. It helps a lot to designate all your crazy digging designations at once, prepare a bunch of food and water, then open up Dtil and turn on Unpause while you focus your attention on work or something. A checkup every now and then is often more than sufficient for that sort of thing. Keep track of the date on the z-screen too, just to gauge how much time goes by.

Same with Flarechannels, DF running in the background is where most of the megaforts get all their time. He wasn't watching it constantly.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 10:57:29 pm »

Your name amuses me.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 12:08:25 am »

Well, I have my clerk and trader consoling both Retro and Sibrak, my two masterwork-missing masons. Its therapy*.

In other news, I'm replacing all of my stone needs with glass. :) And I am beginning work on my upper floor stalactite/staircase rooms. I've been hoarding cut gems in the hopes of making many nice gem windows to raise the value of Nobles rooms.

I have 2 champions now. Both speardwarves. I love them because they spar a lot. They sit there with massive wounds and still spar just fine. They have copper breastplates and copper shields. The blacksmith finally got around to making the last copper shield.

My giant cave eagle is enjoying the new entrance. I rarely see it on the ground now. I can't wait 'til the stalactite rooms are done. I am imagining *hint, hint, someone should draw this* my clerk dwarf doing business with a human at a desk. In the background is a window, Standing on a ledge behind the window is the face of a giant eagle staring in.

A huge new section has been designated to be cut out and I have enlisted my engraver army and given them picks to mine the rock. I left the gabbro boiling tag on, so mining turns all gabbro into dust.

Dwarf therapy: the two masons were holding a meeting with each other. So I locked them in together and recruited the clerk and trader. Then I blocked them all together in 2 separate rooms using doors. Then unrecruited the clerk and trader, turn off that groups abilities and wait. Hopefully, my near-legendary consolers can help sort this out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:28:20 am by They Got Leader »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 12:16:31 am »

Same with Flarechannels, DF running in the background is where most of the megaforts get all their time. He wasn't watching it constantly.

To be fair, there were only about 10 days out of that entire period in which I spent the game like this; 5/7 days for the first half of digging and ditto the second half a month or two later - that quote was referring purely to the mass digging. I don't like wasting time letting dwarves idle. Finishing one project means the next one hits the ground running, and I have bi-weekly savegames to prove it :P

And I would just like to stress that Undergrotto has its own thread, and it is not this one. I appreciate that my fort was an inspiration to TGL's current undertaking, but I really don't want to inadvertently dominate his thread or anything like that; it's really awkward being asked stuff about my own work on someone else's stage. I would much rather just follow along on his progress and try to answer relevant questions when asked.

Well, I just boiled all the gabbro from my fortress. Resulted in 6 lost masterworks. A few of which belonged to your dwarf. He is sad, but he will be okay. In the meantime, I am repairing any damage that has been done.

D:

Well, I have my clerk and trader consoling both Retro and Sibrak, my two masterwork-missing masons. Its therapy.

:D

Incidentally, TGL, you mention both stalactites and stalagmites there, the former being down-pointing and the latter pointing up. Are you doing both? Judging by the last DFMA map upload, it seemed to be only the former... it's a huge pain in the ass to remember which is which, though, so I get where you're coming from if it's just a typo :P

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 12:27:40 am »

Name one of your speardwarves Leonidas. Have your speardwarves guard the entrance, like so:
. = Channel/Pit
S = Speardwarf
+ = Floor
W = Wall
WWWSWWSWWW
WWW++++WWW
WW+....+WW
W++....++W
W+......+W
W++....++W
W+++..+++W
W++++++++W

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 12:28:28 am »

Stalactites cling tightly from the ceiling.  And I can understand if Leader forgets to do the stalagmites.  Especially if the stalactites are massive and full of living quarters, like the ice city underneath a glacier in Skies of Aracia.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 12:30:16 am »

This is how I remember it:
StalaGmites are on the Ground.
StalaCtites are on the Ceiling.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 12:32:12 am »

I suck at remembering things via anagram or mnemonic devices or whatever. Wikipedia and Google Search Bar are my preferred memory aids :P

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 12:35:51 am »

Ah.
Anyway, I think it would be cool to build my pit of death thing. It would probably work better with hammerdwarves - do speardwarves even have knockback? Anyway, you could make it feed into a massive temple of Armok (perhaps with a bridge leading to the pit that is switched on repeat; that way, goblins are fed to the speardwarves at a near-constant rate). After all, it isn't a real temple to a God of Blood unless screaming goblins, impaled goblin corpses, and {goblin chunk}s constantly rain down from the ceiling and shatter on the floor. Sure, your dwarves will probably be randomly crushed by falling goblin. But that's the price you pay for worshipping a blood god.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 12:44:05 am »

Name one of your speardwarves Leonidas. Have your speardwarves guard the entrance...
Hahahaha. I was legitimately thinking about naming on Leonidas. But this is Dwarf Fortress, not Sparta. Or madness for that matter. We are a lot cooler.

Incidentally, TGL, you mention both stalactites and stalagmites there, the former being down-pointing and the latter pointing up. Are you doing both? Judging by the last DFMA map upload, it seemed to be only the former... it's a huge pain in the ass to remember which is which, though, so I get where you're coming from if it's just a typo :P
Typo. It has been fixed. Speaking of which, I am using some of my 40+ platinum blocks to use in bridges that span walkways to and from the stalactites.
Stalactites cling tightly from the ceiling.  And I can understand if Leader forgets to do the stalagmites.
However, in the future, I think I will actually start digging stalagmite and stalactite houses. Maybe some mushroom houses, too. Add some spice to my underworld.

Speaking of adding spice, if any of you have anything that you think would be cool, let me know. I love ideas. They make me feel special. Almost nothing is to hard.

Especially if the stalactites are massive and full of living quarters, like the ice city underneath a glacier in Skies of Aracia.
Pics, please? That sounds awesome. I am going to put gem windows in the stalagmites/ctites for the look. They will be awesome.

And I would just like to stress that Undergrotto has its own thread, and it is not this one. I appreciate that my fort was an inspiration to TGL's current undertaking, but I really don't want to inadvertently dominate his thread or anything like that; it's really awkward being asked stuff about my own work on someone else's stage. I would much rather just follow along on his progress and try to answer relevant questions when asked.
Undergrotto does have its own thread, but I am open to anything short of hostile takeover. Well, you might get used to it. I am alright with it because it's inspiration. I need more ideas any who. I have a huge map and not much to do with it other than clear mine. Thanks for the support, just by the way.

Well, I just boiled all the gabbro from my fortress. Resulted in 6 lost masterworks. A few of which belonged to your dwarf. He is sad, but he will be okay. In the meantime, I am repairing any damage that has been done.
D:
Well, I have my clerk and trader consoling both Retro and Sibrak, my two masterwork-missing masons. Its therapy.
:D
Yeah. He's (you?) calmed down. My consoler has used his magic. I am going to release him from his therapy session soon. He only lost like one or two masterworks. He's going to recover. Especially since his room is sealed with a masterwork green glass portal... and his box is bejeweled masterfully. As has his cabinet... Hurray almost-legendary glass maker.

Ah.
Anyway, I think it would be cool to build my pit of death thing. It would probably work better with hammerdwarves - do speardwarves even have knockback? Anyway, you could make it feed into a massive temple of Armok (perhaps with a bridge leading to the pit that is switched on repeat; that way, goblins are fed to the speardwarves at a near-constant rate). After all, it isn't a real temple to a God of Blood unless screaming goblins, impaled goblin corpses, and {goblin chunk}s constantly rain down from the ceiling and shatter on the floor. Sure, your dwarves will probably be randomly crushed by falling goblin. But that's the price you pay for worshiping a blood god.
I like it. I think humans call it... a... Gladiator pit... also known as an arena. :) I am still designing my arena. It will be large and very very awesome. (I hope)

TL;DR
Give me suggestions please! I want feedback :)

And thank you Retro.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:47:11 am by They Got Leader »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5