Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128722 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #765 on: June 07, 2014, 03:23:59 am »

I'm pretty sure like/dislike of government type is based on their government type, not their race.  I'm probably wrong.
Yes, this is absolutely right. Jacob/Lee described it very well.

IMO, the relations malus based on size and power needs to be nerfed or be dependent on how aggressive/underhanded you are.  If you're powerful enough, other states instantly dislike you, no matter how benign or passive you are.  A baseline level for jealously is reasonably, but, as a respectable empire that never started wars, I was seeing -20 relations immediately with anyone I ran into.  These races didn't even know the size of my empire or my population and they instantly hated me for showing up and saying "Hi, guys, we're out there.".  Then a long slog with gifts and ambassadors for them to say "Oh, you've got lots of cool goods, why don't we trade?"
Also one thing needs to be mentioned - every new race you meet WILL automatically have -20 or so relationship modifier due to being "confused by your strange, alien ways" or some such thing. Fear of the unknown or whatnot I guess.

And on topic of insectoid races - it has to be said, there is a bit more flavor to them instead of just "insects = evil". The main thing is all of them have "aggressiveness" level pretty high. I kinda makes sense, if we think about them just as being very expansionist oriented. Also trustworthiness or something is usually a bit low. AND let's not forget they instinctively hate humanoids (and rodents?). But you can get along them quite well. IIRC Sluken can be quite reasonable, but much to my surprise, in the last game I played, Boskara very more or less cool with me too. There are few factors here really - with galaxy being a collection of clusters, our empires were situated in different clusters, thus immediately cutting out the "covets our colonies/resources" malus. Then I was also careful not to expand in their cluster once the technology allowed that. And there was some trade going on between our private sectors. Also, our empires were quite the same concerning size/military strength and occasionally I slipped a small monetary gift under their table... Yeah, in the end I actually wanted to provoke war, because we both were mere digits away from achieving victory and all I had to do was have an excuse to reduce their population a little...but being Teekan, I already started 1 or 2 wars and that was dragging me down enough to be weary of striking first. In fact, I still have to finish that game.

So yeah, insect are not really that bad, just a bit more opportunistic. But so are some other races.
I'm looking at you, Haakonish. >:L
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 07, 2014, 05:44:52 am »

How the hell do I destroy those pirate bases?! I've got like 112k troops to their 20k (and similar) and yet I always seem to fail to destroy them, and lose all my troops. I've tried using a mix of troops and using generals, but I always seem to lose for some reason.

Any ideas?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 07, 2014, 05:46:21 am »

How the hell do I destroy those pirate bases?! I've got like 112k troops to their 20k (and similar) and yet I always seem to fail to destroy them, and lose all my troops. I've tried using a mix of troops and using generals, but I always seem to lose for some reason.

Any ideas?

Space superiority is also an important factor - have warships in orbit.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 07, 2014, 07:18:50 am »

Any ideas?

Ahh I meant the ones on my colonies. Like the 'hidden pirate base' ones?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 07, 2014, 07:57:44 am »

Any ideas?

Having warships in orbit gives a 25 % combat bonus to the side who currently control the space around your planet. Space stations with weapons also count for this.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 07, 2014, 09:57:36 am »

Any ideas?

Having warships in orbit gives a 25 % combat bonus to the side who currently control the space around your planet. Space stations with weapons also count for this.
Even on your own planets? Can special forces take them out more easily?

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 07, 2014, 10:03:57 am »

Any ideas?

Even on your own planets? Can special forces take them out more easily?
If you control the space around the planet with warships and/or space stations, then you get the bonus. If its contested, no one gets a bonus. If the enemy controls the space around the planet, their ground forces get the bonus. I haven't played around with special forces a lot, so I don't remember what they exactly did.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 07, 2014, 10:16:18 am »

Ok I looked around more on this, apparently for the hidden pirate base/fortress facilities (on your own planets, NOT pirate owned planets) you just need tons and tons of troops - like 4-5 times more than theirs. When the facilities are not fully built they're a lot easier to take out as well, also mercenary type pirates are apparently 30% stronger still.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 07, 2014, 11:43:41 am »

how do you initiate an attack to a pirate base on your own colony?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 07, 2014, 11:47:50 am »

how do you initiate an attack to a pirate base on your own colony?
Bring up the colony screen (either double click on the colony name on the small info screen when you click on the planet, or find it in the colony screen) and then go to facilities, click on the pirate base and click attack to the right hand side. You'll need to recruit troops before you can do this however.

It does make a sizable difference when you take them out, but you need literally TONS of troops to do it. Early game, pretty much each time you get advised to attack them you'll lose until you research much stronger troops or have like 5/10x as many. Getting planetary governance buildings in your main system(s) is very important to stop this. I found my economy went wayyyy up after I got rid of all of the pirate facilities, as they were taking a good 30% chunk out of it.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 07, 2014, 11:52:55 am »

-Ninja'd. Ah well, I'll post it anyway since there's some other tidbits that weren't mentioned.

Go to colonies screen. Select the colony and look at its facilities tab. Select the pirate facility. Where the "scrap" button normally is you'll have an attack button.

To kill hidden pirate base you should have at least 80k strength in troops, and to kill a fortress at least 150k to be safe (rough estimate. It seems to vary a lot. Always overkill) . Remember that experienced troops have twice the attack strength of greens. Try using troop transports to transport your troops to the colony rather than recruiting there, as the greens won't fare well.

You can check the strength of your army on the planet by clicking the troops "bar" in the bottom left when you select a colony.

Don't let the AI handle attacks when you have pirate bases. The AI is really bad at judging how many troops it needs to take one out and will just continually get your troops slaughtered.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 07, 2014, 11:59:45 am »

thank you very much! I have another question: I found a lot of ship abandoned after a battle of sort. how do I exploit them? can they be retrofitted? I also have an abandoned station somewhere..

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 07, 2014, 12:00:49 pm »

You need to send out a construction ship to repair them.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 07, 2014, 02:30:32 pm »

If I was you, I'd send out a construction ship and when you get any, retire them at the nearest shipyard.

The tech boosts can be a boon.

Oh yes, what a boon "Scrapped World Destroyer has unlocked toenail clippers mkII" is.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 07, 2014, 03:00:59 pm »

If I was you, I'd send out a construction ship and when you get any, retire them at the nearest shipyard.

The tech boosts can be a boon.

Oh yes, what a boon "Scrapped World Destroyer has unlocked toenail clippers mkII" is.
World destroyers are the exception. World destroyers are something you should keep.
My point was that most likely you are scrapping a ship that is 20 tech levels ahead of you to gain a tech you don't even care about, so I don't scrap that shit for techs.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 65