Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128654 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 07:57:39 pm »

(This isn't my report, just to let you know)

My first impression of the game is fuckawesome, but i mean, i'm an avid 4x gamer, so that might be a little biased. Oh, and Journier, it's much, much more exciting then you'd expect.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 08:51:56 pm »

(This isn't my report, just to let you know)

My first impression of the game is fuckawesome, but i mean, i'm an avid 4x gamer, so that might be a little biased. Oh, and Journier, it's much, much more exciting then you'd expect.

Well you know I like Aurora. Knowing that alone what could you tell me that id like from this fuckawesome game?

You are getting me excited you dick.

:D
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 08:54:28 pm »

Alright, so here it is.

Distant Worlds is quite fun-Well worth the cost. I'd like to touch on a few preliminary issues before we move on, however. Graphic-wise it's as best as 2D gets, which is frankly more then i expected. Combat is interesting, with suspense and wondering if your ship will make it, etc.

Now, my first point, the AI. Oh god, it's one wilderbeast. I'd like to point out some stuff, it's not a cakewalk, and that's what makes it fun. I had recently conquered a colony on a desert planet in a system, and After dealing with 3 other gas mining stations in-system, i had found a new one was built on the outskirts, and my forces were too beat up to attack it. Because I decided to wait, a force that had just about the same number of ships as me, but had a slightly/moderately better ship design managed to barely overtake and successfully invade the recently conquered planet. Thus, realizing i was in for a beating if i didn't surrender then, i surrendered, giving 10K credits and all my techs that he

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 08:57:14 pm »

Alright, so here it is.

i surrendered, giving 10K credits and all my techs that he

OH GOD A CLIFFHANGER....

I GOTTA BUY NOW......

;)

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 10:57:50 pm »

Oh damnit! The report was twice as long as that but i forgot that i messed up and forgot to edit it.. Now my breautifal report is gone! Anyway to put it short game is good, rawr, buy it if you like the genre.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30:37 pm »

i need more info, i am really close to buying it, but $40 is a lot of money.
I got nothing

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 11:39:52 pm »

Hmm, sounds like they have no plans for a Demo, and MatrixGames only does refunds for people who's systems can't run it :< will likely be waiting for a torrent site before I give it a try.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 12:39:19 am »

Need more infos!

I'm very interested in this game, but I need to hear some more reviews first. I didn't expect it to cost $40 -- which puts it outside of my comfortable "impulse buy" zone and into "I need to justify this a little."

Hey, times are tough. It does sound Fuckawsome, though ... and The Wargamer even compared it Dwarf Fortress! (http://www.wargamer.com/article/2839/distant-worlds-early-look-part-1)

Are you looking for a sandbox game, then this one is certainly that. Strangely enough, I would say that Distant Worlds is the "Dwarf Fortress" of 4X games. No - it isn't quite THAT deep, but what I mean is that the player gives macro-directives (build this here, send ships there) that are carried out by the unit AI. So a little like Tropico, even, set in space. Perhaps the best analogy would be Europa Universalis in space, which certainly is a bit apt, but even that doesn't encompass the whole thing. There is certainly a bit of a "laissez faire" aspect to the game - you can be contented simply watching your empire's engines hum without doing much of anything - so the what is managed and how really depends on the player. I haven't yet put everything on full auto and simply set the game running and returned an hour later to see what had happened - but I imagine it would have built a pretty efficient empire without any input from me at all. Maybe some would think this is a criticism of the game, but I'm not sure that it should be - what this means is - you tailor your own involvement to your comfort zone. If you want to play Space Opera Ant Farm - go at it - if you want to play Detail Oriented Perfectionist Emperor Sim - do it.

Money is so tight, but DO WANT. I think. Do I?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:43:46 am by SeaBee »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 01:54:26 am »

I was personally amazed it was 39.99 as well.

I figured 19.99 or 29.99.

but whatever they charge is what they charge. Still waiting on some true feedback, it takes like 48 hours for real flaws to come out instead of fandom ^_^

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 05:35:53 am »

Hell looks like a great game but 40dollars for a indie title.

No thanks. thats like an AAA tittle.

nor do i have that money to spend.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 06:16:27 am »

Yeah, a little on the costly side, to be sure. Not that I'd be able to buy it even if I could afford it... :P

Despite the abovementioned, I'm interested in the extent of the ship design and the manner in which technology research is handled. Could anyone describe them?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 06:26:19 am »

in the AAR section of their forum is a ship design AAR.

which fully explains ship design.

research no idea.

actually i do have an idea..

Research points are partially generated at stations purpose built with the capability.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 09:30:38 am »

Hmm...  I can wait for after the incoming Dwarf Fortress update...  who knows how long after...  I still have many games to play.  =/
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 09:55:33 am »

This games sounds like just the kind I enjoy, I'll await x2yzh9's report before I buy though. Never bought from matrix games before.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 10:02:55 am »

Read the AAR. Hmm, ship design is close to something I could like. Combat, on the other hand, seems simplistic. As in, despite all the components it's still just a shield bar and a healthbar.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 65