Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: if you had only one...  (Read 1883 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: if you had only one...
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 03:39:54 pm »

Pretty sure you can't make blocks out of soap. Are raw bars going to create a smooth construction? If so, I'll consider soap.
plump helmet blocks... that worries me.
I was building a tower with green glass. But I admit, having only one glassmaker really slows it down. So I hacked myself some spare glass furnaces. I shouldn't be using them much longer though.
I expected the microcline.
Obsidian is OK. Pitchblende.... I think that mainly services the imagination. Is it actually purple in-game? (That would make me much more interested, purple is a cool color)
Nobody thinks that I should try aluminum or gold or some other precious metal?

Clownite.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 03:46:11 pm »

Whoa, pitchblende is purple...
however I'm also struck by strong-colored rocks of green or blue colors. Hmm...
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

ronnyfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 04:31:46 pm »

Your tower should be striped, each layer of the tower being a very colorful stone. once you have used every type of stone, repeat the pattern, until your stone supplies run out or you finish the tower =P

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 04:46:12 pm »

Yes, use a stone of all seven colors of the rainbow (Bauxite, Cinnibar, Orthoclase, Serpentine, Kimberlite, Microcline, and Pitchblende... you will need to alter your colors in init.txt to make bright red into orange, and bright cyan into indigo), and create a tower on a map with something like 42 z-levels above ground level, after clearing away the entire mountain (or as best you can). 

It will be a gay pride tower.  :D
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 05:01:00 pm »

It's amazing how un-serious the answers are...
I'm currently debating between pitchblende (the purple is just so awesome) and aluminum. But I think a rainbow tower would be a bit too hard to implement.
At 55 frames per minute.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 05:06:06 pm »

If you like purple you can also try Rose Gold.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 05:11:18 pm »

If you like purple you can also try Rose Gold.

That's a brighter magenta, but anyway, I was just going to suggest Bismuth for that purpose.

You can sort of fudge magenta into being indigo if you wanted, as well, but you still need to change bright red (or dark yellow) into being orange.

Regardless, I've never been over-fond of aluminium.  Yeah, sure, it's valuable metal, and it's rare when you aren't using a reaction to mass-produce it from nothing, but nobody's really going to care about the dwarfbuck value of the materials on a multi-story megaconstruction. 

If a radioactive tower is only cool when you imagine it to be radioactive, a solid aluminum tower is only different from a chalk tower when you look at your architecture value or imagine it as being... well, honestly, I'd just imagine it being an absurdly large regular house with aluminium siding.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 05:17:56 pm »

I guess that's true. But I'm partial to white because it stands out well against the DF black background. The color is the essential factor for me, because that's what I'm going to be looking at.
Perhaps I should use a color scheme of cobaltite, pitchblende, kimberlite and microcline. And maybe olivine.
At 55 frames per minute.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 05:25:17 pm »

Make it have a road made out of either Gypsum, Orthoclase, Saltpeter, or Brimstone...

"Follow, follow, follow follow, Follow the Yellow Brick Road!"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 05:25:34 pm »

If you want to go gaudy, just go gold.

A solid gold tower. Or pyramid. Made out of 100% gold.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 05:37:59 pm »

Alternating black and red would look kind of like magma.  Beautiful magma...
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 05:43:59 pm »

I'll probably try the orthoclase road. That's going to be pretty good. (Or maybe gold/electrum but then it's not brick. Orthoclase is special because it was really annoying to me in a previous fort.)
Any color scheme suggestions besides my plain old purple-blue-green then? (I can't find any truly black stone and dark gray is lightened in my current color scheme so I can see my smiths.)
At 55 frames per minute.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 05:47:26 pm »

I'll probably try the orthoclase road. That's going to be pretty good. (Or maybe gold/electrum but then it's not brick. Orthoclase is special because it was really annoying to me in a previous fort.)
Any color scheme suggestions besides my plain old purple-blue-green then? (I can't find any truly black stone and dark gray is lightened in my current color scheme so I can see my smiths.)

My suggestions actually were serious. You said anything, and the ability of modders to allow blocks made out of ridiculous materials amuses me to no end. Diamond blocks, for instance. Or sand. Mud (brick?). Plantlife (though glitchy). Vomit. Ice... you get the idea, I'm sure.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 05:49:05 pm »

True but I'd rather avoid anything glitchy. I don't know how plump helmet blocks will respond to being created and I'd really rather not destroy my fort with them. But I guess that soap and other bars would be OK.
At 55 frames per minute.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 05:52:03 pm »

True but I'd rather avoid anything glitchy. I don't know how plump helmet blocks will respond to being created and I'd really rather not destroy my fort with them. But I guess that soap and other bars would be OK.

Well, the plump helmet ones were the only ones I had trouble with. If you save and then reload they stop being noticed properly. Ruby and Diamond blocks work just fine, however. As do bone and mud.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] 3