Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Neverending Fortress  (Read 2058 times)

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Neverending Fortress
« on: March 24, 2010, 06:47:30 am »

FORTRESS MOOD MUSIC (ALSO ****ING AWESOME):http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/209540

Turn around
Look at what you see....
In the stone
The mirror of our dreams....
Make mountains our new home
Given in the earth
Written on the pages
Is the answer to a never ending fortress...

In short, everyone over 20 years old just ****ing super-nostalgia'd.

My newest, and last attempt at a grand story driven fortress before what we hope is the imminent release of DF2010.   We will watch the story of a fortress starting in the dying world of the Pages of Myth.   Nearly 1000 years have passed since this land came to be, Humans and halflings live in scattered towns.  Elves are extinct, and Dwarves Huddle in two remaining strongholds.  Orcs and Goblins roam the landscape freely, having their way with any unarmed they come across.

Can a fortress of simple means survive in such a barren world?   We will watch through the eyes of a young Child Physicist (Mechanic)  Bastian Freeman. (Read the photo name for remarks.)

Here is our wonderful hollow, where the fortress of Moonchild the Ageless Fortification (Hurr I'm so witty) shall rise or fall as history shall witness.

What shall become of these brave souls?  WHO KNOWS.

Wanna be in on it? Just post a profession preference.

Also if you're going to be an idiot and ask why Jesus is in the Pic, the answer is and always will be : "He's Jesus, lol."

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: The Neverending Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:01:34 am »

... Pardon the question but why is Jesus riding a furry dragon?

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:03:19 am »

"He's Jesus, lol."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:06:56 am »

Because he's just that fucking awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:10:08 am »

Wow, what's that tile set? (Apologies for my ignorance)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 07:23:58 am »

Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:25:06 am »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 07:57:08 am »

What would the Nothing be though? A corrupt raw file?

Kind of a tangent...now I've got an urge to mod up a Dark Crystal world, with a Skeksis civ which has wiped out all settlements of a Gelfling civ....hell, even just modding in Garthim and Striders would be fun. Might wait for the next version though.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:10:36 am »

I should have seen it coming.

Honestly, though in some ways I can't blame them, getting any sort of sustenance out of these mountains take a lot of work and time, but there are simple limits to how much you can take out.  Eventually you go over.

So here I am, barely 20 and exiled.  For being "expendable".  There are 6 others with me, and 400 total.   We got a wagon and supplies for starting over.  Others got a sword.  Straight through their necks.   Suppose I can be thankful for something.

Canu didn't seem like the type they'd let go so easily.  Finding a legendary warrior is one thing, but finding one from 900 years ago, who was at the front of the First War, encased in ice?   Really though, science is secondary to survival, and Canu is weak from 900 years of cooling off.  He is a very gentle man, not what you would expect out of "The Neckblade".

Medik is another poor soul whose scientific efforts came up for naught in the bureaucratic scale of things.  She carries so many types of alcohols and herbs, that I simply ran out of stones to document them on, so honestly, I think we lost half of them on the trip over.

Most of the others won't speak with me, not that it's insulting, they won't speak to anyone.

Clanratc did for a time, but eventually took to killing every animal we found on the trail.  Apparently as a Blacksmith he didn't "qualify", but his young daughter did, despite having no work skills yet, though "skills" is arbitrary now.  I think he killed about 20 guards before they could restrain him.  They were going to just execute him, but Canu managed to talk them into letting him come with us.  All he said was that he'd rather he stayed and killed another batch before going.

Finally, after about a month we arrived. Trip was uneventful, thank Armok, the Orcs are rumored to be on the human warpath again.
This mercifully leads them southward.  It won't be long though.

We took to simple idea, dig a small walled up hole at the top, have our main entrance at the bottom, near the brook.  If the Orcs finish early, we'll at least be able to hole up until they get bored, or until I devise enough ways to let them die at the hands of stones.

A season by Armok, and I had yet to write.   Much work has gone into our hovel so far, but we have just the basics, and are still eating the soon to be rotting supplies, and sleeping outside the hovel even.  Soon, soon we will be sustainable.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 08:11:27 am »

What would the Nothing be though? A corrupt raw file?

Kind of a tangent...now I've got an urge to mod up a Dark Crystal world, with a Skeksis civ which has wiped out all settlements of a Gelfling civ....hell, even just modding in Garthim and Striders would be fun. Might wait for the next version though.

Afraid to say I'm not forcing a tangent with the NES storyline, just using the names and other stuff to give the fort an epic feel.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 08:51:26 am »

Me = disappointed.

At least build a pair of sphinxes flanking your entrance eventually. Which shoot laser beams from their eyes.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Fictionpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:52:49 am »

http://magmawiki.com/index.php/File:Bisasam_16x16.png

Ah, alas, if only there were a vision with pretty dwarf men and not little smiley faces

I use the Bisasam (character) tile-set in addition to another (pretty dwarf men) graphics-set.  You just need to follow the instructions in the wiki.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:14:09 am »

Hmmm, gives me an idea.

A baby is snatched from a lone female human girl, the goblin king wearing a dodgy codpiece living in a castle in the middle of a mysterious maze filled with strange creatures, both friendly and evil...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 01:17:17 pm »

If this is a community fort, could I join as a Miner/Mason?  :)
Pages: [1] 2