Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Several Questions regarding Modding.  (Read 1030 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Several Questions regarding Modding.
« on: March 20, 2010, 02:45:53 am »

Okay, first off, anything that's not in the RAW files, cannot be changed, is this correct? As I see on the forum, this is... Hard coded?

Does the Wiki have decent explanations on Modding?

Can someone help me understand the values for weapons? I'm wanting to try my hand at creating a weapon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What do each values represent.. And what not? >.>

Can Changing the raws affect strange moods, as in, adding in new items, clothing, etc, and have them be strange mooded about?

I'll have more questions when these are answered. >.>;

Also, sorry for asking so much, I've become extremely interested in modding, since it's allowing me to add in some fun, while I wait for the next release.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Several Questions regarding Modding.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:06:57 am »

1. Yes, this is true. If it doesn't appear in the raws, it can't be changed short of memory hacking.

2. It has semi-decent explanations, but not good if you want specifics.

As for the sword thing...

DAMAGE:120 --> how much damage it does, of course. 100 is an iron short sword, while a long sword does more damage.

WEIGHT:70 --> this number multiplies how heavy a long sword will be depending on it's material density.

CRIT_BOOST:1 --> This has a higher chance to critically hit for bonus damage!

TWO_HANDED:6 --> If you are size 6 (dwarves are size 6) or below, you need two hands to carry this (though most often some creatures will ignore this)

MINIMUM_SIZE:6 --> The minimum size you can be to properly wield this weapon. Creatures of size 6 and above can pick it up and use it, but any smaller and it's hopeless. Not that the game cares half the time...

MATERIAL_SIZE:4 --> how many materials are needed. 3 is one metal bar, one wooden log, one stone, etc.

Any new items you mod in can most certainly be pulled out by an artifact maker. In fact, artifact makers can make stuff that their race can't even USE.

Any more questions are more than welcome, darling ^^

EDIT: I'd also appreciate if you PMed me if you have more questions. I'm a busy girl, and goodness knows I'll end up forgetting this thread if it gets swamped by more stuff! ^^;;

.. okay i'm just forgetful.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:13:07 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:15:37 am »

There are ways to change things that are hardcoded, but they require writing or using utilities like Dwarf Companion and Dwarf Therapist.  If you're looking to get into complex modding, I strongly suggest you wait a few weeks/months till the new version is out, since Toady is releasing a Hell of a lot more control into the modder's hands.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 04:24:06 am »

Oh, I see. I don't really care what memory hacking is. But thanks. =D

Yeah, I checked the wiki out after posting this, seeing as it's something I should've done beforehand.

Oh, thanks for clarifying the token points on weapons.

So if I placed TWO_HANDED:4 at a weapon, would a dwarf only need one hand or something like that?

Can I specify the materials required to create something? Like how Obsidian short swords need obsidian, and Steel battle axes require steel? Does the program automatically determine the items from the name? Like, say I wanted to make like.. A claw or some such.

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CLAW]
[NAME:claw:claws]
[DAMAGE:80:SLASH]
[WEIGHT:40]
[SKILL:.... I wouldn't know what to put here.]
[CRIT_BOOST:3]
[TWO_HANDED:4]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:6]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

I have no idea. Just making an example. We can't make new skill classes? No Dwarven Heavy lancers? Or nothing?

And hooray for Artifacts. That means I can have some weird variations. xD

On a completely unrelated note, I just realized you're a girl. Which is pretty badass. ^^; Considering, I've never met any girls who played DF. >.>

@Lofn: Thanks. =D I'm still completely new to modding for the most part, only having done a few pretty cool things.

But I might actually wanna learn how to mod a bit better once the new version comes out, especially if I can make things a bit cooler.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:32:37 am »

(Yeah, most people don't realise ^^; I'm just a nerd like that, I guess.)

As for that claw weapon, you'd probably want it to use something like sword skill, because you can't make new skill classes.

And yes, if you had [TWO_HANDED:4] then a dwarf would easily be able to lift it with one hand.

Short swords can be made of any weapon-metal (Copper, bronze, bismuth bronze, iron, steel and 'FunMetal') and they also have the [CAN_STONE] tag which allows them to be made from one chunk of obsidian and one wooden log. That claw there could be made from any of the weapon metals.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 05:15:33 am »

-Lawl, that's cool. =D Good games aren't picky on who plays them. As long as you enjoy DF then nobody should judge you.-

Ohh, I see. No new classes. Hmm...

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SCYTHE]
[NAME:scythe:scythes]
[DAMAGE:100:SLASH]
[WEIGHT:60]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[CRIT_BOOST:2]
[TWO_HANDED:6]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:6]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]

Does the Above check out?

And, [CAN_STONE] applies only to obsidian? Are there other variations, like.. [CAN_GEM] or [CAN_BONE]?

A Dwarf Bone Scythe would bad totally badass, now that I think about it.. >.>

Oh, for Entities and their biome tokens, do they settle in only one place? Like Dwarves live in mountains. Could I edit their raw to make them settle the civ in more than one biome, or does it restrict them in one place at a time? AKA, can dwarven civs settle in plains and mountains at the same time during world gen?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 05:40:09 am »

That sythe looks pretty good to me, though I haven't actually tested it.

Unfortunately you can't make weapons out of bone or gems or whatnot without making a custom reaction at the smelter, which is slightly more involved than just messing with the weapon raws.

In regards to the biome question, you can easily have your race exist in multiple biomes.  For example, this is taken from the entity file of one of my modded races:

[START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:2]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAKE:2]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:MOUNTAIN:3]

The format is [BIOME_SUPPORT:<biome token>:<frequency>].  Detailed token information can be found on the wiki.  The higher the frequency, the more your race prefers that biome.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Astarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 07:38:32 am »

I have a related question. Does the game care what order the tags are in? Or is that just for our benefit?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 07:49:12 am »

The order of our tags are mostly just for our own benefit so we don't get lost looking at them. Otherwise, they can be all over the place if you truly wish.

Obsidian is the only stone (in vanilla DF) that can apply to weapons with CAN_STONE. This is because it has a [SHARP] tag. If you wished to make another rock into a weapons-grade rock, you would have to add [SHARP] to it's appropriate tag.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:20:36 pm »

Oh, sweet, thanks guys!

I also, just figured out the joke, about how Elves are cannibals or what not. They have the tag, [EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]. That's... very concerning.

I'm gonna go play around with setting now, and gen up some new worlds, after doing lots of weird modding. >.>

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 01:35:20 pm »

Any tips on increasing hostilities between the four major races? I figure I would have to screw around with whats acceptable and what's not or some such.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 01:52:12 pm »

Also, my Scythe weapon kicks ass. Having a spear with slash damage, and a decent critical boost was amazing.

-Has my imagination tantalized-

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 02:01:29 pm »

Any tips on increasing hostilities between the four major races? I figure I would have to screw around with whats acceptable and what's not or some such.

Messing with opposing ethics helps, but if you want to guarantee that a race is hostile to everyone, remove [INTELLIGENT] from their creature definition and replace it with [CAN_LEARN][CAN_CIV].  The [BABYSNATCHER] and [ITEM_THIEF] entity tags also cause hostility but they come with other behavior and cause a few different issues.

Also, I suggest you read up on how to use the edit function rather than triple-posting.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 02:03:28 pm »

I know this isnt my thread, but can you make weapons that use the Wrestling skill? Knuckledusters :D
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 02:25:13 pm »

Lofn: Oh, I see. Thank you. I'll screw around with them a bit.

And yeah, I know how to use the edit button. It's my thread though, so.. I don't see nothing wrong with triple posting if I want. >.>

Huggz: Go ahead and ask questions of people, I don't care. >.>

Pages: [1] 2