Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2106048 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12315 on: June 09, 2016, 06:10:01 am »

The lag was awful, but it inspired me to build something else, which I'll show in a moment. First this.

So earlier I was bombing around on my minecart and saw a zombie giant jaguar.

I thought "well fuck, time to make you roadkill" and hauled ass right for it.

Now, imagine if you will, that you're a merchant heading off to the tavern one evening (this actually happened btw) and you hear a god-awful noise up around the corner ahead of you.

Then: a fully armored dorf comes flying through the air and slams into the second story of a building across the street.

Immediately afterwards a zombie giant jaguar comes skidding along into the wall right below her, providing a nice cushion to land on.

She then scrambles to her feet and jumps out of the way right in time for a minecart which followed the two of them to slam into the zombiecat.

Do you:

a. Jump into the fray?
b. Comment on the inevitability of such events?
or
c. Casually turn the corner and keep going like nothing happened?

Yeah, they just walked off, probably smart.

I'm not safe to be around when I'm in a minecart mood.

Anyway.

I set up an arena near that camp, ended up filling the bottom with magma, it's still fun but it's soooo laggy if I approach the wrong parts, even after melting most of the bandits with dragonfire, 2700 units trying to path over to you is too many.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Battlesong I really was a lovely place.

Battlesong II though, I found a volcano in a larger world I gen'D which was on the tundra, flat, and right beside some goblin pits/adjacent to a fortress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It turned out pretty neat, gonna head back over there after my minecart fest and see how the traffic in the area is.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: June 09, 2016, 10:27:48 pm »

Max™, you sure know how to crack me up! This like the third or fourth incident since that accidently-dousing-yourself-with-booze shenanigans.

EDIT3: Nope.. not gonna derail a nice thread with my screwed up damaged nature.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:58:45 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: June 10, 2016, 06:27:11 am »

On the way to Ivysoak and chrysoprase hill titan Spuzsux Drinkpacked, Imush takes a detour towards a cave housing Atal Daysheens the Breach of Certainty the cyclops. Along the way there's more dwarven fishing, which is grabbing (in this case) 2 tigerfish by the mouth or teeth to prevent biting and occasionally the tail to prevent tail slapping, followed by repeat head punching, then the creation of much freshwater tigerfish sashimi.

Dwarven fishing levels strength one grade so it's on par with the other body stats, which are at high. By slow traveling upstream, Imush takes the opportunity to bring swimming from talented level to great and finds he's where the river transforms into brook. Brooks (like bridges, rock block paths, and underground tree roots) can produce the drowning effect. Imush swims beneath the brook and begins drowning for a few directional moves. Here the training makes complete sense for where he is in time, and he moves endurance up from high to superior after several passes, and increases toughness from high to superior after a few more. While not necessary, it feels like padding as Atal Daysheens has 25 kills to her name. Imush hopes she'll be interesting.

Atal's been graced by world gen and she's fast and given to grab attacks, but it's a bit too late. With superior endurance, talented shield user, skilled wrestler, great fighter and adequate dodger, the best way for Atal to hit would be if Imush went with auto-attacks, opening the door for those strikes of opportunity versus the lower roll of auto-defense. Imush does not do this. Everything is manual except the auto-defense on return hits.

Imush works her over with copper spear, copper dagger, wrestling grabs and strikes of opportunity. Atal is a mess, but is brave and keeps fighting. The RNG keeps her from bemoaning her fate. In fact she expresses satisfaction when leveling. Imush respects this. When she passes out due to exhaustion, Imush wraps his arm around her neck to end it quickly. Enemy sites are buggy as Imush cannot build Atal a funeral pyre in the cave. No fires can be made until he leaves the site, so he picks up Atal's corpse and carries it into the mountains. Imush sets up a 3x3 pyre near a mountain brook and spends the night.

The next morning Imush travels several tiles north to the lair of Óne Skunkpanther the Fish of Calling the roc. Imush waits for her to approach, feature an attack, then matadors her. This is followed by copper dagger to her leg. She falls over and the remainder of the fight is Imush grabbing/regrabbing her beak/wings and alternating strikes of opportunity with copper dagger stabs and steel axe hacks to her limbs. Imush works wrestler to proficient. She eventually passes out due to exhaustion. Imush takes out his +iron great axe+ and then switches to auto-swing. The AI allows steel battle axe claims the name.

Later, Imush will continue to Spuzsux Drinkpacked's shrine, grab the kill and that will bring this world to its conclusion. While touring those bandit camps, Imush had found interesting aquatic leather types that were human sized. Having to pass on that stuff was a shame. I'm leaning towards put in a reaction for trimming items down/general clothing alternation. That and adding back in coifs and removing the armor level 1 from boots so they're available for NPCs.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: June 10, 2016, 08:30:34 am »

HOLY SHIT!

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3838
>- 0003838: [World Generation -- General] Armor never generated on hands, feet and legs -- NPCs don't wear gauntlets, boots, greaves, etc. (Toady One) - resolved.

WHAT

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: June 10, 2016, 09:14:03 am »

O_O

This!

^___^

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: June 10, 2016, 02:55:43 pm »

Needs moar gauntlet bugs. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: June 10, 2016, 03:22:41 pm »

Hey man, being able to loot decent gauntlets is cool.

Though my dorfs are actually fully ambidextrous. They're listed in game as a right and left hand but aren't actually so while I can't use ones I find (and naturally I seem to find more ☼Steel Right/Left Gauntlets☼ now) I can use the ones I craft.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: June 10, 2016, 05:46:35 pm »

Hey man, being able to loot decent gauntlets is cool.

Though my dorfs are actually fully ambidextrous. They're listed in game as a right and left hand but aren't actually so while I can't use ones I find (and naturally I seem to find more ☼Steel Right/Left Gauntlets☼ now) I can use the ones I craft.

True, I've used that "ambidextrous body token" idea before, and dropped it for...that reason really. It breaks more than it fixes. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: June 11, 2016, 04:58:16 am »

Wait, what you guys on about? I'm interested in crafting mastercraft left/right gauntlets myself. o_O
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: June 11, 2016, 09:33:26 am »

If I'm reading it right, Max changed it so dwarf hands are fully ambidextrous. Meaning they don't actually have a "Left" and "Right" hand so much as a hand on the left, and a hand on the right. Which then allows you to equip gauntlets made through custom reactions, but not the normal right or left gauntlets that you can find out and about.

Nothing to do with crafting gauntlets that actually work in adventure mode.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: June 11, 2016, 02:10:41 pm »

So shit, no more stabbing armored units in the hands and feet until they die. But also good, because that way we get more goblinite in fort mode.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: June 11, 2016, 03:43:42 pm »

So shit, no more stabbing armored units in the hands and feet until they die. But also good, because that way we get more goblinite in fort mode.
kinda found goblinite iffy when we now have guestium from the inn. nothing says good supply of wares than stripping them off the folks who want to get drunk at your fort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: June 12, 2016, 07:29:41 am »

I've started what I like to call either Suicide, Urist or Mincemeat mode.

Basically, it's simple. On character creation, you pick a dwarf ( only dwarves allowed ), make him a peasant, lower all his attributes all the way to very low, put no points into any skills ( reading is an exception, you can have novice reading if you plan to become a corpse raiser ) and name him Urist Mincemeat. ( hence the names )

Gender can be either male or female.

Now then, once you begin your game, remove your clothes, drop them, along with your weapons, waterskin and backpack.

And naked like that, go out into the world and survive for as long as you can!

Bonus: Make Urist's goal to rule the world.

PS. By the way, is it even possible to find a replacement backpack later on? I did a few runs like this and did find waterskins, but don't think I've found a backpack...

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:44:52 am by KiBoy »
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: June 12, 2016, 08:29:22 am »

Mead halls and bandit camps may have backpacks.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: June 12, 2016, 09:47:37 am »

just realize now with turning caveins off we can make floating wooden camps in adventure mode. which may or maynot affect how ambushes work.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 1104