Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105266 times)

WatcherAM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #9555 on: December 18, 2015, 02:40:15 pm »

Just finished generating a large world with very long history this morning. I took a peek through legends mode too see which civilization I thought would be interesting to play in. I came across The Lovely Confederacies and boy, there is nothing lovely about.

The civilization started out strong with not one but two massive, thriving towns, however by the mid 300s there was massive depopulation due to what I can only guess was vampires. I say this because every law-giver after then was a vampire or some kind of immortal. What I find weird is that these vampire law-givers serve for a short time period, then they step down and another vampire would be elected for the position. This has happened for over seven centuries! These aren't just typical vampires either, these guys have deep personal histories. One guy traveled from a civilization halfway across the world, serving various goblin masters and dark gods. Unfortunately his evil badassery came to a anticlimactic end when he was ripped apart by a giant dingo.

Anyway, that's the least interesting thing about this civilization. The Lovely Confederacies has all but conquered a goblin civilization to the north. I feel sorry for the Wrath of Paint, they had vampire led humans attacking from the south and a massive dwarven empire coming from the north. The saddest part is that the humans were led by a goblin and she showed no mercy.

Her name is Kasat Swamrhyme and she came from nowhere, literally. Legends say she was one of the first of her kind but the first entry about her was in 141 when she become a farmer in a human hamlet. There's no record of what civilization she oringinated from. So Kasat went from farmer, to beast tamer, to mercenary, to war leader of the LC around the 200s. She's led two highly successful wars against the Wrath of Paint, killing three goblin generals and never losing a battle. Oh, and did I mention she was partially crippled by a giant dingo in her beast taming days? She's still alive so I've made it my goal to track her down and meet her.

As for the Wrath of Paint, their children have completely assimilated into the human civilization over the centuries. Now we have a human-goblin hybrid civilization democratically ruled by vampires. And who's to say it's not better for it?

Let's start adventuring.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:46:07 pm by WatcherAM »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9556 on: December 18, 2015, 03:10:32 pm »

Can it all end so quickly?... Begone fear!

Yep, my peregrine falcon woman died to an axegobbo bandit.

Next up, a female marksdwarf from a human town.

Next Adventurer:

COINS WORK IN ADV MODE TRANSACTIONS! AI HA'E NE'ER BEEN MORE PLEAS'D!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:45:53 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: December 18, 2015, 03:12:13 pm »

funny thing about taverns I think they can pop up anywhere even in Fortress entrances like cish died right next to one.
or that I modded them so hard that they now pop up anywhere?
Hell I've added in so much stuff to get libraries to spawn everywhere, I've got taverns everywhere too, I just never actually check in hamlets to see if they spawn in them or not.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: December 18, 2015, 03:25:05 pm »

I've yet to see a tavern in a hamlet. Only in towns.

Not checked any dorf forts because even before The Laggening they were a clusterfuck to navigate.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: December 18, 2015, 03:28:50 pm »

Btw, oh Dragon of Randomness, why did you remove the joints and move them into the body definitions again? I can't remember the reasoning, but I noticed that the neck breaking can be done just by changing the neck:upper spine definition to:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:NECK]
[BP:NECK:neck:STP][CON_CAT:NECK][JOINT][NERVOUS][INTERNAL][SMALL][SKELETON][CONNECTOR][CATEGORY:SPINE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]
[PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE]

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: December 18, 2015, 03:38:11 pm »

I have an unwanted lordship that I only created to foist off on a companion I was abandoning. My friend who was cursed with lycanthropy was also crippled, and instead of putting him out of his misery, I took him to a camp we'd cleared earlier, declared it the territory of the Puzzling Dumplings, then gave him lordship and left him there. For some reason lordship passed back to me awhile after I set out.

So second time coming out of retirement, instead of staying in the comfortable town (hit squads from pissed off warlords notwithstanding) my character had moved to this shitty hole to resume lordship of it. Fucking fantastic -- I was really getting to like the lady of the town, and she seemed to appreciate my innuendo-laced lyrics.

While cleaning up the dump that is now my domain, who would I find but my old friend:

The Werehyena Spearman misses You!
You: You are unhinged.  You perpetrated a violent attack upon Asa Lacybolted.  You are also a modest bard.
The Werehyena Spearman charges at You!
You jump away!
The Werehyena Spearman attacks You but You jump away!
Jepum Cirocango, Werehyena Spearman: You are good for a deal now and then.  You are also a pleasure to speak with.

I just happened to come out of retirement on the 23rd. He probably could've unrun me if I didn't get a good head start, and charge through a pack of wild boars to keep him occupied. I don't really want to kill him, I'll just leave him to his chances with the townsfolk, who have been pretty efficient creature slayers. That's one huge difference from last version, I don't have to do all the work, and the people aren't dying like animals. In fact, many more civilian casualties have come from civil wars than from night creatures.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: December 18, 2015, 03:49:50 pm »

Btw, oh Dragon of Randomness, why did you remove the joints and move them into the body definitions again? I can't remember the reasoning, but I noticed that the neck breaking can be done just by changing the neck:upper spine definition to:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:NECK]
[BP:NECK:neck:STP][CON_CAT:NECK][JOINT][NERVOUS][INTERNAL][SMALL][SKELETON][CONNECTOR][CATEGORY:SPINE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]
[PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE]

Hmm. The reason I moved standard joints was because not every creature uses the humanoid_joints definition, and when I found that removing the humanoid_joints body part file didn't SEEM to break anything, that seemed easier than making a joint definition file for all different body styles, then inserting it into every creature.

I could've saved myself some time and hassle if I made the joints use con_cat instead of adding a unique joint for every single body part that warrants one. ;w;

And I removed the "upper spine" body part and shifted it to the neck body parts for the same reason. Not every creature with a neck has an upper spine, I think.

It does however break if you go removing upper spines for body_RCP though. As I found the hard way. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: December 18, 2015, 03:55:10 pm »

So, I found a bookcase and stuffed the books from my tombrobbing into it right?

Then when I was going to put it into my backpack I noticed another option... and well, this is also a thing you can do.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: December 18, 2015, 03:58:34 pm »

You monster. You drank the science. Now future generations have been deprived of the opportunity to read books written about books written about the author.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9564 on: December 18, 2015, 03:59:17 pm »

I can't see anything, but knowing you, I bet you put it in a cup.

By the way, how do you prevent your adventurer from moving two tiles when you press an arrow key once?
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: December 18, 2015, 04:10:23 pm »

I can't see anything, but knowing you, I bet you put it in a cup.

By the way, how do you prevent your adventurer from moving two tiles when you press an arrow key once?

The Laggening has struck you too. In keybindings, for the adventure mode movement you have the option to set it to no repeat or delayed repeat, instead of the normal repeat setting.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9566 on: December 18, 2015, 04:42:04 pm »

Ah, thanks, that works. The laggening will not stop Isman!

Also, what mod are you playing, Max^TM? It seems pretty cool if you can make goblets out of troll skulls.
Sigtext!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9567 on: December 18, 2015, 04:42:39 pm »

Ah, thanks, that works. The laggening will not stop Isman!

Also, what mod are you playing, Max^TM? It seems pretty cool if you can make goblets out of troll skulls.

Probabbly his own, its pretty easy to add these things in the raws.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: December 18, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »

Yes, Max is using his skull sorcery to make them not forget their material when butchered.

Though I found that the right reaction CAN get it to remember what skulls are made of, but the method I stumbled on seems to be different. >.>
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: December 18, 2015, 05:16:04 pm »

Yes, Max is using his skull sorcery to make them not forget their material when butchered.

Though I found that the right reaction CAN get it to remember what skulls are made of, but the method I stumbled on seems to be different. >.>
I am torn.

I am amused by skull sorcery, but disappointed you didn't go with skullduggery. Yeah it's my own WanderLust (capital L, I forgot there was a gorgeous tileset with the name first) mod.
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1104