Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2099823 times)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #570 on: September 10, 2010, 11:30:17 pm »

^Yeah, huge things made of metal tend to do that, what with the whole squared/cubed law and everything.

Also, I'm guessing from the lack of reaction to me mentioning it earlier that a demon being taken prisoner and then joining your adventurer happens more that I thought.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:05:36 am by Knigel »

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:22 pm »

^Went into a town today and found out that the warlord was a friendly one eyed demon with acid breath.  This game does weird stuff sometimes.
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 11, 2010, 12:26:06 am »

According to my weather report, the sun is rising in the west. Is it like that in every world, or is the direction the planet rotates decided randomly?

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 11, 2010, 01:47:49 am »

My modded character
Alright, heard it already. Dude, how necessary is it to god-mod yourself all the advantages from the beginning when the game already gives you the means to become absurdly powerful just by playing it on it's own terms? And how necessary is it to brag about what's essentially cheating?

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 11, 2010, 02:00:07 am »

Can anyone with some knowledge of architecture tell me how high a building made entirely of word (namely Acacia wood) can realistically get? Because I was just in a 5-story inn made of that stuff.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 11, 2010, 02:45:45 am »

I would guess that five stories is about the limit, assuming that it's well designed and has metal fittings and a stone foundation. No building that wasn't a ridiculously well-built monster (palace, cathedral, castle, etc) ever got more than a few stories, regardless of the material.

I seem to remember that in classical Rome, there was a limit on the height of new buildings around five stories. This was due to a bull going on a rampage and eventually reaching the top floor of a 'skyscraper', then barrelling out and making a mess in the street.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 11, 2010, 02:53:24 am »

I guess that was limit was repealed by the time of Pisa.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 11, 2010, 11:59:21 am »

I'm in an area with pits which have no exits everywhere, and found a villager and gazelle both got caught in one (there isn't any way for them to get out, is there?) Though I can somehow still attack the gazelle with a morningstar even though we're on different z-levels.

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK. A giant cave spider just showed up ten square away from the inn I was visiting. And right after I lost my demon companion because he and the pikeman ran off like idiots.

EDIT2: Holy crap. Thanks largely to it attacking my Pikeman but always failing because it had armor (except when it ripped off his nose), I made the final blow without it even noticing I was there.

Although it also killed the guy I just too a quest from. ::)

How do you collect Giant Cave Spider silk? He left it everywhere, but I can't do anything but get caught in it and destroy it escaping.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:21:16 pm by Knigel »

Confused111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 11, 2010, 01:37:40 pm »

So, my two companions and I went hunting in the frozen wastes. We encountered a polar bear, a pride of white lions, and two muskox. Nothing but the Muskox were a problem. The second muskox knocked out my hammerwoman and broke her right true rib. I don't think she'll make it. I mean, aside from the fact she's very wounded, she'll probably just run off to fight more muskox.

EDIT: I've just now noticed that my left testicle is cut open. Also, my companions and I have been split up, with a heavy sheet of fog and I don't know how to find them.

EDIT number 2: I got killed by two giants and a bleediing-out trogdolyte.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:55:31 pm by Confused111 »

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 11, 2010, 03:56:48 pm »

I've gotten way luckier than my companions, and I couldn't help but feel bad at first. Even when I was a rank novice, getting a 1000-year-old spearelf to join me, thinking, "Yeah, I'll be alright with him around." One encounter later and he's half the man he used to be, but still belly-crawling along and cheering, "Yeah, more adventure awaits, let's go!"

Don't you wish you could dismiss them into convalescence? Especially after they've become a permanent cripple. "It's time for you to hit the bench, player. You're not charging anywhere, you're not retreating anywhere, and you'll never have any more kids. Rest -- you've earned it!" It's not difficult to outrun an invalid and ditch 'em in the wilds, and it's less guilt-inducing because then you don't have to watch their inevitable doom.

I've seen a lot of them go down quicker than I would've expected, a bloody mess as soon as they engaged. Eventually I got indifferent to it and just started using them up, "You want death, do you? I can help you with that -- just count how many pieces of dwarven gear I've inherited."

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 11, 2010, 10:03:57 pm »

Just drowned to death.  I guess novice swimmer wasn't good enough to cross a river.  No matter what I did I just couldn't climb out.

So I'm wondering what else there is to do in adventure mode besides hunt wildlife for meat and...well, get killed doing anything else?  I'd like to explore some caves and stuff but they always have ettins and cyclopses guarding them.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 12, 2010, 12:10:42 am »

Part of the early experience is to earn your scars, and if that doesn't kill you, you could grow up to be a mighty giant-slayer! There are many potential unjust and ignominious ends on the way to Legendary; just read through the thread.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 12, 2010, 01:20:52 am »

What the hell? A warlord asked me to kill a demon in a nearby town because it killed some people and it turned out to be a law-giver. When I attacked it the rest of the villagers my companions joined in and they started attacking me, but then the law-giver started attacking the villagers as I left because of a heart injury. When I get to some other place, my companion start attacking me, I hid from them and traveled but they were still with me and hostile to both me and some random warlord even though the people of the warlord's village were still attacking me.

Also, during this entire time anyone attacking me would pathfind right to me even if I was sneaking and they didn't notice me.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 12, 2010, 01:27:46 am »

What the hell? A warlord asked me to kill a demon in a nearby town because it killed some people and it turned out to be a law-giver.
If you're surprised by this, you must not be reading this thread. What made less sense was getting a bounty to kill a demon law-giver who killed not a single living thing in the mortal world. Or the one who in his whole life killed one titan who was rampaging on his town.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:30:04 am by Dok Enkephalin »

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 12, 2010, 01:54:49 am »

^I wasn't surprised by it being a law-giver (I knew demons often took positions in human societies all the time; that's who killed my last Adventure, and I even found one as a prisoner this playthrough) but asked to kill a member of the same civlization as the warlord (though that might not be true; it now seems the warlord might be from a different one that just happened to have the same god) and all that other stuff (people not attacking who you'd think they would, sneaking not working, companions that keep up with you in fast travel even after they decide to kill you).
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 1104