Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104536 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13125 on: October 12, 2016, 04:48:17 pm »

Playing around in the woods with my companion, came upon an armadillo. Then this happened:

The armadillo sow rolls into a ball.
You slap the armadillo sow in the shell from the side with the flat of your silver short sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The armadillo sow stands up.
The muscular swordsman stabs the armadillo sow in the left rear leg from behind with his copper long sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
You have improved a bronze shield masterfully!
You have finished working on the ☼<<bronze shield>>☼.

I didn't know you could slap the shells off of critters quite so easily. So then I immediately used the shell to put cool spikes on my shield. She's still alive, but my companion just spilled her guts. Poor little armadillo sow...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13126 on: October 13, 2016, 04:28:08 am »

so spent some time wandering the land and ended up getting access to giving an answer to a professions question
and this is what was said by my wagon-spider-woman wizard to a great giant owl wrestler.
which is unique for i'm playing an outsider.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13127 on: October 13, 2016, 12:44:25 pm »

I ironed out the reactions a bit and regenned a large 550 yr world (took about 75 min), also with no bogeymen. 2nd world without those little guys. More crazy NPCs babbling about the night. Mostly Evans' fault :D Will sleeping outside be like Don Quixote and Sancho Panza along the roads of everywhere? Who knows...

Anyways I rolled axedwarf Fikuk Yarnspun the Good with an above average stat peasant build, nothing set to high.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Endurance will likely advance to high first, given all the that steady state jogging. Second, agility as he'll slow travel mostly with ambusher on, followed by focus/spatial as I'll probably play him mostly as a bowdwarf/rock thrower. Toughness will really only advance if he wears some sort of armor and uses dodging more often in melee. Strength is always last. He was rolled him as an axedwarf to avoid having to make a stone axe and to have a shield from the beginning. Good fortune starts him with steel.

Fikuk spends some time milling about the hillock mounds at Copperbores. There are no signs of production here. Apparently Fikuk has slept on the ground with these other layabouts his whole life. There is no furniture anywhere. Luckily, Fikuk is the extreme of austere and stoic or he'd be more like The Princess and the Pea—pretty much most other dwarves. Actually everyone complains about weather, food, and booze. There's no escaping it. Armok's world is a world of feeling.

Fikuk Yarnspun heads west to the hillock Helmedown. No furniture here either, but they're a manufacturing lot. All leather. No cloth. All strewn about. It's pretty clear where meadhalls take their cues from when it comes to furnishings and storage. If the world is your home, you leave everything on the ground.

The biome temp is cold, so no extended aboveground swimming. Fikuk heads to the fortress Whipbuds to do his swimming underground and to use their workshops. A short distance away from Whipbuds, while cutting down an oak tree, there's a wrestling encounter with a frail yak bull that involves some hacking, but ends in suffocation. When it comes to hunting and first encounters from an aesthetic standpoint, yak is up there with carp, muskox, elk bird, pond grabber and wolves.

Fikuk has to travel a slight distance from the fortress entrance along the great dwarven superhighway to find a safe location for swimming.
He could rack up the XP and combat the giant olm or the cave toad he spies, but that just has a quality of needlessness and excess. He first swims from novice (level 1) swimmer to competent (lvl 3) at standard speed, before increasing to maximum swim speed, only switching downward when tired, until he reaches talented swimmer (lvl 6). Competent swimmer affords the smallest margin of error for negative status effects like drowning from becoming tired. Talented swimmer allows a character to survive being stunned while in the water. This is the largest margin of error. Stunning cuts stat levels in half and at talented swimmer, Fikuk would now only drop to competent if he ended up taking a stun penalty.

Procedural gen is the lottery. The fortress Whipbuds only had a magma smelter. No other workshops. Fikuk will have to seek out another fortress in order to make a sewing kit.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 12:47:24 pm by peasant cretin »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13128 on: October 13, 2016, 01:19:24 pm »

mosquito-man archer is fun

mosquito-man archer is less fun when there's 5 enemy archers
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13129 on: October 14, 2016, 07:22:42 pm »

so found a fun thing to do with necromancy, rezing dead people 15zlevel high off the ground and trying to hit someone below.
worst thing happening is you watch a zombie pancake 1 tile away from the target, but you still get to see someone go splat.

with a flying adventurer you can Deep strike some unsuspecting people.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13130 on: October 15, 2016, 02:59:11 am »

Well that's pretty clever, I hope you're proud of yourself, and expect a funny drawing.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: October 16, 2016, 11:57:27 am »

okay so finally smack an elf with a corpse and... some how got air even though I had that elf webbed.
I guess getting hit by a falling owl zombie from the sky causes you to bounce?

I think elf pog is possible now.
also was kinda worried these corpses would survive the 15 z level drop but I guess not they also just straight up continue falling even after hitting someone on ground level.
the elf survived like 2 straight hits by these rezed corpses so at this point the force damage probably don't take Slams into consideration or slams do lil damage on it's own and just flings the person.
"body swapping and YOU!"

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: October 17, 2016, 04:43:53 am »

Killed my first ever hydra, ate its heart.  It killed my companion before I even realised there was even any fighting.  Carried her body to civilisation, dropped the first skull of the hydra on her site of death as a tribute.  Rest in peace, Bekdil Danacaslu, swordswoman and friend.

The adventure continues.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13133 on: October 17, 2016, 10:24:32 am »

Fikuk visited another fortress which did not have a metalsmith workshop either. I suppose that's the first time I've seen a lack of that workshop (maybe I just don't remember) and it was enough to decide against having adventure mode workshop-related reactions. I dumped the world and tried my hand at working in kilns, but modding in baking clay bricks was a bit too much trouble. Just couldn't get it to work. So, I modded in some silly workarounds like on-the-go furnaces built from 20 rocks (an anywhere activity). Also added in the ability to craft shop signs. In the old world, Fikuk had found quite a few abandoned shops in town, and without a shop sign, he was just a squatter who imagined he was making things. Switched back to acorn.bmp tileset before regenning the new world.

Feb Pondershot of Winds (who sprints at 2.808 speed @ size average, high str/avg agility) pretty much starts off by building a chalk furnace (makes little sense), followed by heading to a fort to make some charcoal. At his home hillock thereafter, Feb engages in quite a bit of weaponsmithing just to make arrowheads.

The problem with archery isn't really the odd extended delay after firing. Archery's problem isn't being forced to maintain distance (which is the way you manage and accommodate the delay), it's the aimless, high volume and the far too quick stat growth. If you shoot say 600-700 arrows, you end up as a legendary bowdwarf. It's just volume of work and volume of ammo. What high volume does is it makes no one shot count. That sorta makes sense. Putting in your reps is actually the way things work, but from say the standpoint of the 10k hour rule, where over time the form within a process will reveal itself to the practitioner, here it's a thoughtless process gameplay-wise. Still Feb'll end up playing as bowdwarf, so that says there's still an allure.

Not having bogeymen in a world makes the night more tranquil, but you miss the how they made travel a thing to think about. Fast travel never considers your movement speed in relation to distance. Slow travel though, when encumbered enough to be in the range of .200—.500 walking/jogging speed, changes the time cost of every quest map tile covered on foot due to the tick count of your character's movement.

But, the absence of bogeymen makes the night a thing of wonderment. While training up crutch walking and ambusher in slow travel mode to boost willpower, Feb encounters a human bard in the middle of nowhere who didn't seem especially interested in moving anywhere, despite being in search of work in distance lands.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: October 19, 2016, 10:51:59 am »

Got in wolf ambush with 2 companions (all dorfs). rolled away from them while fighting two wolves and killed them by repeatedly dodging and throwing leaves (and a few of handmade statuettes) at them.  While i was butchering, both of my companions appeared, neither had any major wounds and drunk was hurt less than swordsman (and each had one wolf for themselves)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:55:27 am by adamkad1 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13135 on: October 19, 2016, 04:16:42 pm »

there something surreal in seeing dead people mourn the lost of themselves when they get revived, then enjoy a retelling of their demise.
modding in resurrection sure paid off.
still no clue where to find a night troll den.
edit: well then this wagon wizard is also a were lizard.
ended up finding this out in the middle of making poetry.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:43:30 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13136 on: October 20, 2016, 07:37:58 am »

As the biome has been warm enough during the extended slow travel stretch, Feb's done some night swimming and he's swum to the bottom of two waterfalls. The mist works its magic and insensible brute that he is, Feb becomes content.

In town after trading away the fruits of hunting for coin, Feb converses with elf tavern keeper. He only asks about surroundings as this fleshes out the area without populating the map with lairs, creating a series of destinations that likely must be linked with straight lines. The world's more interesting if it's less directional. Feb'll scout the area and if it so happens that he does find tracks or there's that fast travel zoom in, maybe he'll take a look.

While alternating between fast and slow travel, Feb comes across a series of asterisks. Since they shift about, it's likely that there are camps in the area, maybe animal recruits. One asterisk is centered in a hamlet. Roughly at this point, Feb's at competent shield user and adequate dodger. Level 3 and 2 respectively. His melee is still at novice weapon skill, since he's mainly been using the bow, but with proficient-talented fighter, skilled wrestler, and an adequate miscellaneous obj. user skill. So the bandits he ends up encountering, if purely met with melee, could be competitive encounters.
All the prep work of slow travel by ambushing, swimming, jogging/running/sprinting, and crutch-walking have eventually gotten his body/mind attributes to either high or superior.

Feb plays 43.05 as if it's modified 34.11 archer versus bandits. Basically that requires a high ambusher along with scouting to identify location and the number/skill lvl of opponents. Then when possible, structuring each encounter so he can safely fire on his target(s) with the main aim of grounding them and perhaps even getting them to lose hold of weapons/shield prior to engaging them in melee with dabbling *copper war hammer* to finish. Feb, as standing attacker versus grounded defender, will get 2x momentum to his attacks, while (suppositional) the grounded NPC's momentum versus a standing defender is halved. It's just low end DF Agincourt where hammer skill trains up fast. Since he'll occasionally engage multiples, Feb doesn't use manual defense as that'll buff the chosen defensive choice, but nerf the others. Auto-defense's benefit is everything is kept equal and negates the need to count defensive ticks.

Due to archery's need for high volume, like all dedicated DF archers, Feb carries between 100-200 arrows. Encumbrance is high, movement speed drops, and so before transitioning from scouting to attack, Feb'll drop all his quivers/arrows. He'll pick up a small number to shoot. Mechanically versus bandits who often have a large roaming/patrol field, there may be cases where the target stumbles into the 20 tile gap and whether hit or not begins moving towards you. During the firing delay, they'll never close the distance in-between, if you're at 1.000 walking speed or higher. If you're at 0.099 speed and don't have wildly high stats, you'll probably have a poor outcome.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13137 on: October 20, 2016, 10:52:56 am »

thats a lot of arrow. now, who needs a bow or crossbow if you can just well throw arrows or bolts at people

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13138 on: October 20, 2016, 05:55:46 pm »

Decided to retire my old fort today and play adventure just to see the capital... We are at war with goblins (destroying almost all sites save the one I just retired) and the capital is basically nothing but goblins running around. Sure there were dwarves but also humans, tons of goblins though all part of the dwarven civilization, etc. Well Generic Dwarf Male #44332-445-2202A who is an EXCELLENT marksdwarf went berserk and just started killing every goblin in sight, this went well till the other dwarves (they do not deserve the name) decided he had killed to many of their beloved green skinned overlords and a hammerdwarf caved his skull in.

So the history books will simply read as just another random tantrum but none will remember the true dwarven patriot who fought to drive the goblins from his home. They will only remember this hero as #2202A-Marksdwarf. May Armok boil the "dwarven civilization" in magma for favoring their goblin conquerors.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13139 on: October 21, 2016, 12:26:45 pm »

craaaazy stuff!
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1104