Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Music to dorf by  (Read 2847 times)

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Music to dorf by
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 01:18:24 pm »

Oops, posted in the wrong one.

Jesus there's some cheeseyness in here!

I listen to a lot of classical hindustani and persian, so I guess I have to imagine quite exotic dwarves.
Kayhan Kalhor & Shujaat Husain Khan - Beshno Az Nay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0_RDxXZqKQ

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 05:05:34 pm »

Is it possible to mod the game so that certain music plays when, for example, you are under siege, someone becomes legendary (CoD level up sound anyone?) etc?

There are a few .ogg files in the data/sound directory, but it looksl ike all you can do is replace the song_game and song_title files, besides the movie noises.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 08:44:23 pm »

Just on the subject of metal- the three tracks from Apocalyptica that I listed, aren't very metal, especially Coma which isn't metal at all. What it is is kind of slow and brooding, with lots of subtle undercurrents in the lower registers, which is exactly how DF always strikes me.

There's a certain sense of Dark Ages desperation and paranoia to an early settlement, where simple mistakes can see everyone starve, where child snatchers dart out of the shadows to steal the fortresses' few precious children ( I'm always in a bit of a historical mindset when I play, and population growth in the era DF is roughly set was glacially slow, entire civilisations could die out from a blip in demographics), and where the outside world demonstrates its hostility by sending masses of (child-snatching! F-ing child-snatching bastards!)* brutal savages to try to exterminate your isolated, flickering candle of civilisation.

So yeah, doom metal seems kind of appropriate to me.

*I have two kids and get overly involved in my games. I could kill goblins all day long and never get tired of it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:53:35 pm by smokingwreckage »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 08:48:57 pm »

Folk metal tends to feel quite well with dwarf fortress, like korpiklaani or metsatöll.

Also, that persian music would be perfect for a desert fort. Quite relaxing music too.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 09:51:04 pm »

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 08:45:16 am by Banana »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 06:51:38 am »

How about the music from here? Awesome.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 07:47:34 am »

Boards of Canada

Liking this.

I've also been playing with chilled/old school electronica, some Tool/Perfect Circle. Not what everyone would call dorfy music, but is fits for me :D

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 10:11:01 am »

Folk metal tends to feel quite well with dwarf fortress, like korpiklaani or metsatöll.
Bagpipe metal is more appropriate. Why else would we go with Urist McWhatever?
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 09:51:28 am »

Metsatöll uses a bagpipe in a number of songs. Quite fitting indeed, but its not like we 'Urish McDwarf' for a good reason ;D
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 11:54:51 pm »

Meself thinks Those Poor Bastards have some good songs, at least, they are when you consider my living conditions, excluding the dining room with 20 so images of dwarves dieing in the heat :P
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 11:11:47 am »

Really depressing and stripped down experimental music.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 10:38:23 am »

Not quite fitting for DF, but the lyrics reminded me of it sooo much... I had to put it somewhere: Pink - Funhouse
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:40:46 am by Urist McCheeseMaker »

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 11:23:25 am »

Well, I usually just listen to the default music, as it's very non-intrusive yet beautiful.

For more non-intrusive yet atmosphere 'music' to play DF by I would recommend some dark ambient in low light, such as Murcof's Versailles Sessions (listen here to "Death of a Forest") or something by Lustmord (Black Star is beautifully subterranean).

As a further note, I recently received Metsatöll's latest album Äio in the mail... :D  Check out this music video for a definite DF feel!

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 01:41:42 pm »

I'm surprised I hadn't thought of this earlier, and that no one's suggested it:

In the Hall of the Mountain King

The Apocalyptica version if you want a metal edge, or an orchestral version if you want to keep the classic theme :D

e: I see it's mentioned in the second post of the linky'd thread. Oh well :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:44:12 pm by SquidgyB »

Afterburner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 02:12:54 pm »

Most often, I listen to this:

http://www.pandora.com/stations/ce16bdf8f4a63ee94b166b2b08a5f99b425ba2910f7abf8b

Note: The "Play Now" link on that page won't work if you live outside the USAian borders.
Pages: 1 [2] 3