Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pure masterwork walls  (Read 2277 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pure masterwork walls
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:47:48 pm »

So, right now I'm working on the bottom floor of my palace.  The floors are engraved, and right now I'm busy putting down floors over any non-masterwork engravings, deconstructing, re-smoothing, and re-engraving to ensure that the entire floor is covered in nothing but masterwork engravings.  Is there anyway (aside from massive and unreasonable amounts of savescumming) to ensure that the walls are similarly engraved with nothing but masterworks?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Pure masterwork walls
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:55:17 pm »

If you level your engravers enough on the floors, I wonder if it's possible to get them high enough that they always create masterworks?

If not, a possiblity is digging out non-masterworks, building a new wall, and using Tweak to hide the stuff behind it and make it engravable.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:57:16 pm »

If you level your engravers enough on the floors, I wonder if it's possible to get them high enough that they always create masterworks?

If not, a possiblity is digging out non-masterworks, building a new wall, and using Tweak to hide the stuff behind it and make it engravable.

I believe even at Legendary +5 skill, you still do not have 100% masterwork chance.

EDIT-- Ah here it is. At legendary +5 skill, you have a 26.7% chance for masterwork and 73.3% chance for exceptional.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 06:59:53 pm by KylonOrina »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 07:00:23 pm »

Not really. If you have magma and water in endless amounts, you could repeatedly obsidian-cast the desired area, mine out the area, smooth and engrave the walls, and mine out all the non-masterwork walls until you've got no non-MW walls, then do the floors. This is probably easier than repeatedly savescumming, but it wouldn't be a good choice for you since you've already gotten a lot of floors engraved (the magma would obliterate the engravings), and probably isn't worth it anyway.

However, I've been thinking of this recently, and I think I may have hit upon an even better solution: statues. My thoughts go along these lines. According to the wiki, an engraved wall is worth the value of the smoothed wall plus 10*matvalue*quality, and only count on one side of the wall. A statue, on the other hand, is worth 25*matvalue*quality, are counted on all 4 sides, act as walls for room designations, and can be admired (which AFAIK engravings can't be). Thus, if you just don't use engraved walls except where necessary for placing doors, you'll have higher value, higher happiness, and no other penalties. There might be unforseen consequences to this, but at the moment I think that this should be nothing but awesome.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:07:50 pm »

Also, you can use statues made of a 40x material! :P

The obsidian-casting idea is really the most excellent approach though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:14:25 pm »

I usually just have a few dedicated engravers. They smooth absolutely everything, including the obsidian I'm casting before I carve it up for the masons.

Not every engraving is a masterwork, but most of them are. Its good enough, and I figure some variety is always nice.

Some of the engravings of cheese are masterworks, other engravings are merely exceptional images of cheese. Variety!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:47:52 pm »

Not really. If you have magma and water in endless amounts, you could repeatedly obsidian-cast the desired area, mine out the area, smooth and engrave the walls, and mine out all the non-masterwork walls until you've got no non-MW walls, then do the floors. This is probably easier than repeatedly savescumming, but it wouldn't be a good choice for you since you've already gotten a lot of floors engraved (the magma would obliterate the engravings), and probably isn't worth it anyway.

However, I've been thinking of this recently, and I think I may have hit upon an even better solution: statues. My thoughts go along these lines. According to the wiki, an engraved wall is worth the value of the smoothed wall plus 10*matvalue*quality, and only count on one side of the wall. A statue, on the other hand, is worth 25*matvalue*quality, are counted on all 4 sides, act as walls for room designations, and can be admired (which AFAIK engravings can't be). Thus, if you just don't use engraved walls except where necessary for placing doors, you'll have higher value, higher happiness, and no other penalties. There might be unforseen consequences to this, but at the moment I think that this should be nothing but awesome.

... I have to do this for my grand meeting hall, now.  It's already a multi-floor affair with waterfalls, a zoo, and I was going to decorate with statues, but...

I could make it like the walls are all statues, which hold up the roof above them like a row of Atlases.

My dwarves could dine below a hall of their ancestors and the legendaries of my fort, carved in stone or metal, striding like Gods above them, looking down on them, judging them.  My dwarves could hear the voices in their heads: "I was the creator of Shattershins, artifact bronze warhammer, used to slay a hundred goblins, and decorated with spikes of amethyst.  What have YOU done for your dwarven bretheren, FOOD HAULER?"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 08:46:52 pm »

"Note that without food hauling, the fortress ends. Oh yeah, and the artifact bonus isn't that high. And our current champion has five thousand kills. *raspberry*"
Although that is a good idea. And making statues themselves walls does sound awesome...
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:23:04 pm »

I believe even at Legendary +5 skill, you still do not have 100% masterwork chance.

EDIT-- Ah here it is. At legendary +5 skill, you have a 26.7% chance for masterwork and 73.3% chance for exceptional.

And the chance of getting masterworks is capped at 1/3, at legendary +10, according to the wiki.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 06:46:39 pm »

And the chance of getting masterworks is capped at 1/3, at legendary +10, according to the wiki.
...What? Where's it say that? Every source, wiki and not, that I've ever seen said that the chance of a masterwork is capped at 26.7% at legendary+5, or skill level 20.

I feel I should mention that statues shouldn't be used for exterior walls, since they can be seen and IIRC shot through without penalty, so invaders could still interrupt your dwarves unless you've got walls around the statue ring.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 07:31:24 pm »

Another bonus to statues: they can be decorated with a screen's worth of gems, bones, and metal.

A downside to statues: tantrumming dwarves can smash your walls. Also, building destroyers will have a field day. Finally, I think walls don't count as iterated items, but statues will, meaning that statues will have a greater impact on framerate.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 08:33:13 pm »

Statues also don't block fluids from moving onto their square; and if they arn't magma safe, they'll always melt. Potentially even burn if flamable (lignite/coal statues...)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 02:55:07 am »

Ugh...  if it's going to require obsidian casting and re-casting the walls, I'm not going to bother worrying about making all of them masterwork.

The floors are actually fairly easy to do: mass-smooth, mass-engrave, build floors over any non-masterwork engravings, remove the floors.  This reverts the floors to unsmoothed cavern floors, which allows them to be re-smoothed and re-engraved.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 03:23:04 am »

Ugh...  if it's going to require obsidian casting and re-casting the walls, I'm not going to bother worrying about making all of them masterwork.

The floors are actually fairly easy to do: mass-smooth, mass-engrave, build floors over any non-masterwork engravings, remove the floors.  This reverts the floors to unsmoothed cavern floors, which allows them to be re-smoothed and re-engraved.

Neat trick!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 11:47:50 am »

Another bonus to statues: they can be decorated with a screen's worth of gems, bones, and metal.

A downside to statues: tantrumming dwarves can smash your walls. Also, building destroyers will have a field day. Finally, I think walls don't count as iterated items, but statues will, meaning that statues will have a greater impact on framerate.

Tantrumming dwarves are another thing entirely, but frankly, if a building destroyer gets into the heart of my fortress, then having them distracted by sitting there, deconstructing my furniture instead of killing what dwarves I still have left after all my defenses are breached would either be a blessing, or it would be too late for me to rally any defense, anyway, aside from maybe just trying to wall my dwarves off from the onslaught.

Walls that are engraved would probably have to count as iterated items (or at least, the engravings would), since they have unique (kind of) decorations engraved upon them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2