Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just got ambushed...  (Read 1116 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just got ambushed...
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:04:57 am »

By kobolds.

Is that supposed to be possible? It's never happened to me before.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Just got ambushed...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:12:41 am »

Nice. I was under the assumption that if you let them take to much of your stuff, they will raid you. I don't know exactly. Else they could be goblin kidnapped raiding party.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:13:17 am »

There's basically two ways to get ambushed by Kobolds: 1.) they nick enough of your stuff to send a proper raiding force, or 2.) they got kidnapped by Goblins (that's surprisingly rare), were raised by them to be warriors (even more rare), and survived long enough to ambush you (practically unheard-of).  More likely they've stolen a fair bit of your things, or taken something of especially high value, and are now going full-tilt against you.

Me, I don't even get Kobold thieves any more.  They stopped sending them after the last one got ripped into Kobold Chunks by my ex-miner turned champion wrestler and Hammerdwarf.
Sanity is for the weak.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:19:24 am »

Ah, that must be it. One of them got away with the steel crossbow I brought on embark and couple other, less valuable things.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:21:16 am by Particleman »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 07:10:41 pm »

Well there you go! :)
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:35:21 pm »

bleh, they stole my 100k dwarfbuck artifact cave spider silk skirt, and i still only get thieves
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 08:18:29 pm »

bleh, they stole my 100k dwarfbuck artifact cave spider silk skirt, and i still only get thieves

Quantity seems to count for more than quality.  They seem equally likely to ambush you if they've snatched 50 10 dorfbux stone mugs as they are if they nicked 10 12,000 dorfbux *steel anvils*.
Sanity is for the weak.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:26:28 pm »

So my clever plan of letting them and the macaques steal my precious forbidden single wooden arrows left out somewhere in the field by caravan guards passing time by shooting at wildlife will eventually get me more kobolds to pincushion?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 11:46:29 pm »

So my clever plan of letting them and the macaques steal my precious forbidden single wooden arrows left out somewhere in the field by caravan guards passing time by shooting at wildlife will eventually get me more kobolds to pincushion?

Only if Kobolds snatch them.  I've noticed that Kobolds quit trying to steal your stuff if they're thwarted too often.  I haven't seen a single thief in 3 years in Gearholes, and not one ever got past the war dog corner to take anything when they did try.  Raccoons, on the other hand, have been stealing the worthless Goblin crap lying outside my fort the whole time.
Sanity is for the weak.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 12:03:43 am »

I find any more than one or two successful steals rather doubtful. The only thing I've ever had a kobold actually steal is a stack of copper bolts. And before that, whenever a kobold was spotted, I would just assign one of my miners to the military to rush up there and punch them in the face. Seriously, though? With novice wrestling, and no weapon skill, I managed to get an instant kill with a no quality silver warhammer. Kobolds are weak.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 12:11:03 am »

I imagine your unarmored sock haulers would disagree when faced with 5 kobold archers and a couple spearbolds.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 12:14:12 am »

But the legendary wrestlers that only took 2 seasons to train would be curious to how they taste with dwarven syrup.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 01:38:50 am »

Wrestler against archers? Good luck with that.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 03:21:47 pm »

A curious update concerning Kobold thieves: they seem to actually be able to tell when your fort is well guarded.  I was doing a savescum Fun session and collapsing Gearholes' towers, which ended up killing off 9/10ths of my elite Hammerdwarf squad.  Within seconds of the first tower collapse (which took out 4 of said Hammerdwarves), a pair of Kobold thieves spawned on the map.  By the time I'd destroyed the second tower, they'd been spotted and chased off.  A Goblin ambush happened during the fall of the third tower that didn't when I loaded up my file later without the intentional disasters.  Either it was an amazing coincidence, or Toady has actually coded it so that sneaky sorts like "easy pickings" and you're more likely to get invaders when something goes wrong.

On an unrelated note, I think fortifications at 16 Z-levels above ground level break the cave-in mechanics.  The walls of all three finished towers remained upright in spite of nothing supporting them, and all three have fortifications on top.  The floors weren't spared, of course, but the walls for some reason were.  The fourth under-construction tower, however, collapsed properly during that Fun session.  Very odd.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:25:41 pm by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 04:35:37 pm »

I've only ever been ambushed once by kobolds the sneaky little bastards somehow managed to not only sneak past my baraks full of champions, but down several well traveld hallways, into the deepest recesses of my fort where I kept my artifacts before being spotted by a kitten. They then proceded to go on a merry killing spree before my champions finally got to them. Whats worse is as  was till new-ish to the game my champions had no armor and about half of them died before the whole thing was over.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.
Pages: [1] 2