Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250126 times)

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm, Dwarf Fortress in a terminal
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 10:36:45 pm »

Every time someone tries to connect to my server they get just a simple terminal screen. I could post a screenshot but I doubt it would help...it is simply a flashing green bar against a black background.
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 10:41:09 pm »

Every time someone tries to connect to my server they get just a simple terminal screen. I could post a screenshot but I doubt it would help...it is simply a flashing green bar against a black background.

This

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 02:28:16 am »

It is work in progress and things may simply not work. But let's go through the usual check list.

Is this the Windows or Linux version? Are you running DF 40d18, 40d19 or 40d19.2? What is in the console window? If this is the Windows version there should be some indicator dfterm autodetected DF version from the console? Are there any error messages there? Can you go to chat mode (CTRL+A, type nickname, then chat)? Are using dfterm 0.1.2a? Are you using some sort of custom configuration in dwarf_fortress_term_conf.txt? Autolaunching Dwarf Fortress makes dfterm sit and do nothing for about 20 seconds before it will start sending data to clients.

Edit: And more, what is the program you are connecting with? Does it work when you connect on the same computer to localhost? (127.0.0.1 port 8000 presumably)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:33:47 am by Adeon »
I make dead people. Dfterm3

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 04:17:05 pm »

Currently hosting a game. dfterm.servegame.org:43722

This is on my server, so it should be running 24/7 if anybody wants to jump in and play.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 04:59:06 pm »

Error encountered. This is running on my WindowsHomeServer

Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2010, 05:00:28 pm »

This is on my server, so it should be running 24/7 if anybody wants to jump in and play.
I just get "connection timed out"...
Edit: Saw your error message. I assume that's why I can't conect.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2010, 05:01:32 pm »

Yeah, it is a little FUBAR at the moment. you can connect, but you don't get chat or anything. Kind of pointless.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2010, 05:25:07 pm »

It is work in progress and things may simply not work. But let's go through the usual check list.

Is this the Windows or Linux version? Are you running DF 40d18, 40d19 or 40d19.2? What is in the console window? If this is the Windows version there should be some indicator dfterm autodetected DF version from the console? Are there any error messages there? Can you go to chat mode (CTRL+A, type nickname, then chat)? Are using dfterm 0.1.2a? Are you using some sort of custom configuration in dwarf_fortress_term_conf.txt? Autolaunching Dwarf Fortress makes dfterm sit and do nothing for about 20 seconds before it will start sending data to clients.

Edit: And more, what is the program you are connecting with? Does it work when you connect on the same computer to localhost? (127.0.0.1 port 8000 presumably)

Windows Vista
40d19.2
Everything works. I can connect to it from my the host computer and it works fine, as well as my laptop. My laptop is on the same network.
No error messages in the console window, it doesn't even see someone trying to connect.
I can connect through 127.0.0.1 and my internal IP address on my host computer.
I am using 0.1.1 because 0.1.2 crashes on start for me. I am using a custom configuration. Basically the only thing I changed is the frame rate and the path for DF.
I'm using PuTTY and so is everyone trying to connect.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:39:22 pm by gamegreen33 »
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2010, 06:45:42 am »

Yeah, it is a little FUBAR at the moment. you can connect, but you don't get chat or anything. Kind of pointless.

I was not able to reproduce the error you gave me (Lua script error). However, I have received the same error report from an entirely different user. I'm guessing this is because some versions of Windows or some locale settings are causing the script engine not to read the script file correctly (BOM for UTF-8 from a faulty text editor?). I've uploaded a new version (0.1.2b) that has the script file in a plainer format which may, or may not help. You can try loading the file in a text editor and saving it in different formats. Other than that, everything on the console seems correct.

Windows Vista
40d19.2
Everything works. I can connect to it from my the host computer and it works fine, as well as my laptop. My laptop is on the same network.
No error messages in the console window, it doesn't even see someone trying to connect.
I can connect through 127.0.0.1 and my internal IP address on my host computer.
I am using 0.1.1 because 0.1.2 crashes on start for me. I am using a custom configuration. Basically the only thing I changed is the frame rate and the path for DF.
I'm using PuTTY and so is everyone trying to connect.

Sounds like some network failure to me. Check your firewall or try different ports (such as 22, 23). As for the 0.1.2 crash I'm probably going to need some more information, as what I can't reproduce I find hard to fix. It might be because Vista works little differently from XP I have here. A log of console window which shows at which point the crash happens might help.

I make dead people. Dfterm3

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2010, 11:31:15 am »

I was not able to reproduce the error you gave me (Lua script error). However, I have received the same error report from an entirely different user. I'm guessing this is because some versions of Windows or some locale settings are causing the script engine not to read the script file correctly (BOM for UTF-8 from a faulty text editor?). I've uploaded a new version (0.1.2b) that has the script file in a plainer format which may, or may not help. You can try loading the file in a text editor and saving it in different formats. Other than that, everything on the console seems correct.
Yes! That indeed did fix it! I love it when simple errors are repaired by simple means.

My server is now up, and I welcome anybody to join in and try it out. I am admin, and automatic restart is running.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2010, 02:02:40 pm »

Anyone using this on the mac, and able to share the how to connect?

trying $ telnet dfterm.servegame.org:43722 and getting
Trying 8.15.7.107...
Connected to dfterm.servegame.org:43722.
Escape character is '^]'.
Host/Domain name is invalid
Connection closed by foreign host.

edit: the terminal window is set to UTF-8 and vt102 emulation.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:16:20 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2010, 04:01:03 pm »

I didn't really like playing with Courier New, and the 16x16 font earlier posted stretched the window too much, so I recreated the default 8x12 tileset DF comes with as a font.

DF_Curses_8x12.ttf
Spoiler: Font + Natural Colors (click to show/hide)

I'll start converting the other tilesets to font format later, this first one took way too long to do.

EDIT: In case you didn't know, you can change fonts/colors in PuTTY without having to reconnect by clicking on its icon and going to Change Settings... Its like being able to try out different tilesets without having to restart DF!

Yes! That indeed did fix it! I love it when simple errors are repaired by simple means.

My server is now up, and I welcome anybody to join in and try it out. I am admin, and automatic restart is running.

I'm unable to connect as well, are you behind a router/blocker/firewall?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:11:53 pm by Elvang »
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2010, 05:19:32 pm »

Anyone using this on the mac, and able to share the how to connect?

trying $ telnet dfterm.servegame.org:43722 and getting
Trying 8.15.7.107...
Connected to dfterm.servegame.org:43722.
Escape character is '^]'.
Host/Domain name is invalid
Connection closed by foreign host.

edit: the terminal window is set to UTF-8 and vt102 emulation.
Try the IP of 99.13.40.36 which may or may not have updated in the DNS records yet... It should have, but it might not have.

I'm unable to connect as well, are you behind a router/blocker/firewall?
The server is now up, and I have put the proper rules in the firewall. I was able to ping the port from an external proxy.

Any more issues, be sure to let me know.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2010, 05:31:33 pm »

Would it be possible to have it send a terminal bell command whenever someone connects to the server? I tried to edit the file, but it did not like when i put ^G into the line where you have 'CTRL+A' when the client connects.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2010, 05:37:56 pm »

I'm connected to your game through a teletype client called Atlantis. Its made to handle Mu*s, but that shouldn't be affecting anything to heavily.

I can see the game, though I have no idea how to chat or anything. Its updating the lines crappy fashion. I may try through the terminal. (On a mac.)

I don't think its displaying correctly. If I can get an image of the top layer, I'll know for sure.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:50:15 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46