Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dump commands and impossible items  (Read 1071 times)

stormrao

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dump commands and impossible items
« on: March 07, 2010, 05:50:49 am »

Running v0.28.181.40d on an OSX mac with a "Mike Mayday" (http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php) graphical upgrade
the only changes that have been made are showing flow patterns and autosaving on season change.

The two problems I've run into are
1) despite "refuse hauling" being enabled (one dwarf is devoted to hauling refuse and cleaning), and "gather refuse from outside", there are items that have remained untouched for over an in-game year, even when the cleaner has had nothing else to do for days.
2) One noble continues to demand "bismuth" items. After making several "bismuth bronze" items, and not having it change, I also tried making bismuth walls, and bismuth bronze bars, but nothing seems to satiate this mad noble's desire for items that will not appear on forge nor manager lists.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dump commands and impossible items
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:31:46 am »

1) Check if these items aren't owned by some of your dwarves. Dwarves won't touch items owned by others.
The only thing you can do in that situation is to build cabinets and coffers for the owners to store their items.
Or dump magma on these items / their owners...

2) As for bismuth items, the wiki states that:
such a mandate can be fulfilled by smelting bismuthinite into bismuth bars
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:35:37 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:21:57 am »

2) As for bismuth items, the wiki states that:
such a mandate can be fulfilled by smelting bismuthinite into bismuth bars

Only problem though is the rarity of bismuth.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:04:47 pm »

Also, no number of bismuth bronze items will satisfy a demand for bismuth items. It's equivalent to making electrum items to satisfy a demand for gold.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

stormrao

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:29:07 pm »

the outside items were owned, their owners are kinda dead now. All dwarves have chests to put their stuff now too.
Damm, thought so about the bismuth, and using "bismuth bronze" was because I thought it was a glitch in the naming.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:01:35 pm »

Are the outdoor items forbidden? (most times items from dead owners is auto-forbidden on death)
Do you have a stock pile for said items?
Have you tried dumping the items?

stormrao

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:07:10 pm »

sorry to have taken so long to reply, it's been a busy week:
yes, they're all unforbidden, made sure to double, triple and quadruple check
yes, there are stockpiles for all the clothing items
yes, I have tried dumping them, and dumping them again (switching the command off, waiting a while, then putting it back on) to try and cycle it through

I've ended up just hiding the items

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:23:42 pm »

What exactly is the nature of the items that refuse to get dumped?

If they were owned items and their owner was killed, it's possible that they may have been inherited by the owner's spouse or maybe even claimed for ownership by another legendary civilian dwarf.

Just because every dwarf has a chest/cabinet doesn't necessarily mean that the items will be stored - if the chests/cabinets are all full, you'll need to give them more storage space. If they're owned by somebody in the military, then they'll never be moved because soldiers never take the "Store owned item" job. Even if owned by a civilian, some dwarves have personality traits which cause them to never store their owned items (damn annoying, too).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:27:52 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 11:42:05 am »

Couple thoughts:

1) Build coffins for the dwarves. I think items that aren't inherited will be stored in the coffin with the body.

2) Make sure you have an active pit. You can't dump unless you have a pit. I always forget that, set a bunch of items to dump and curse at my lazy idlers who don't go dumping. Then as soon as I make a pit, suddenly boom, everyone jumps into action.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:35:56 pm »

1) Build coffins for the dwarves. I think items that aren't inherited will be stored in the coffin with the body.

Items only get inherited if the dwarf has a spouse and doesn't have a tomb - if the dwarf has neither, then all owned items become unowned, and if the dwarf has a tomb, then every single owned item will be placed in the tomb.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 07:27:16 am »

2) Make sure you have an active pit. You can't dump unless you have a pit. I always forget that, set a bunch of items to dump and curse at my lazy idlers who don't go dumping. Then as soon as I make a pit, suddenly boom, everyone jumps into action.
I've always been able to just designate a garbadge zone on the ground to get dumping commands to work. Makes a great way to clear stone away from a hall.