Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D and STANDARD, how is 40d19 compared to 40d?

Faster, no (unknown) problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no (unknown) problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other (unknown) problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19  (Read 162029 times)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19
« Reply #450 on: March 27, 2010, 11:28:20 am »

You should just use a graphical mode.

I think it's for people who want to use it over SSH.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 27, 2010, 12:33:36 pm »

You should just use a graphical mode. The threading in the current version actually makes those faster than curses, so... yeah.

Either I misunderstood something here, or you're really saying that a graphical tile set like the ones distributed by Mayday are faster than the default.

Can you, or someone else, explain this so that a layman will understand? I can't fathom how using different tiles is supposed to make a difference, framerate-wise.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 27, 2010, 12:35:50 pm »

You should just use a graphical mode. The threading in the current version actually makes those faster than curses, so... yeah.

Either I misunderstood something here, or you're really saying that a graphical tile set like the ones distributed by Mayday are faster than the default.

Can you, or someone else, explain this so that a layman will understand? I can't fathom how using different tiles is supposed to make a difference, framerate-wise.

In this context, "curses" doesn't refer to the default tileset, but to a completely different rendering mode that uses real text characters.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 27, 2010, 12:41:07 pm »

If I got that right, what you're talking about is referred to by the following line in the init comments:

Linux/OS X users may also use PRINT_MODE:TEXT for primitive ncurses output.

Means I'm already using this so-called graphical mode.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 27, 2010, 02:00:14 pm »

All print-modes other than text are graphical, using bitmaps instead of characters. The bitmaps just happen to look like characters by default.

Graphical tilesets are a different matter, that just expands the set of bitmaps a lot, but having them off doesn't make the display any less graphical.

Veroule: Oh, and the tetris app prints the mouse location now. Just to make sure that works, but.. it should. Works fine in every mode here.

Partial-printing mode (for N>0) was actually catastropically broken, so I fixed that too. >_>
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 28, 2010, 09:07:29 am »

Any chance of a new head version?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 28, 2010, 09:44:09 am »

No. That would not be feasible.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 29, 2010, 01:04:53 am »

This may have been asked, but I didn't see it; what would be the fastest mode for these specs?

Operating System: Windows Vista
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 2198MB used, 4163MB available
Video Card: Nvidia 220 GT w/ 1GB dedicated memory

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

Baughn, thanks for your work on the 40d# series, it has been a tremendous help.
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

strange

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 29, 2010, 05:38:52 pm »

Hello everyone,

I've been playing DF using wine for a little while now (3-6 weeks, I suppose . . . I'm not exactly certain, to be honest . . .), and it's been great fun. I've flooded half of my fortress by digging upwards into an aquifier, had dwarves come along and ignore the one wall that I asked to be built three months ago -- then a goblin raiding party enter the fortress through said gap and kill off half my dwarves, which I summarily breached a volcano to eradicate . . . which, of course, destroyed the second half of the fortress . . . great fun.

However, my day has taken a turn for the better, starting . . . oh, two hours ago, when I discovered this . . . an SDL/OpenGL port of Dwarf Fortress. Being a programmer myself (I've been working on a few FOSS projects of my own recently), I can appreciate exactly how much work that Toady put into the original game. I realize this isn't the place for it, but he has my thanks for creating what I would title a peerless game. DF is definitely more fun than just about anything else I can think of, and this is only the alpha version . . . I eagerly await the DF2010 release that apparently will be coming out sometime over the next few weeks.

Baughn, you have my thanks for selflessly volunteering your own time to create a port of DF. I can only hope that you keep up the work that you have put into this. Let me know if I can help.

- strange

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 29, 2010, 05:56:55 pm »

Suggestion: middle mouse button -> drag view.
Why? Now designations with mouse are quite comfortable yet you need to move view and then you switch to keyboard. This is somewhat undesirable (as numpad is far away from designation keys)

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 30, 2010, 08:04:20 am »

Suggestion: middle mouse button -> drag view.
Why? Now designations with mouse are quite comfortable yet you need to move view and then you switch to keyboard. This is somewhat undesirable (as numpad is far away from designation keys)
That should go in the suggestions forum. Maybe promote this thread.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 31, 2010, 08:24:25 am »

another bug (I've checked known issues this time)

- movie not recording. it makes a few kilobytes large files (like 16kB) but it's not playable
40d19.2
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 31, 2010, 10:13:17 am »

another bug (I've checked known issues this time)

- movie not recording. it makes a few kilobytes large files (like 16kB) but it's not playable
40d19.2

This may be an extension or consequence of the image export bug but will need to be confirmed.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 31, 2010, 09:46:51 pm »

not sure if this has been reported yet: linking stuff to levers doesn't zoom properly to the listed item.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 31, 2010, 09:59:15 pm »

Reported like 7582582359 times already... :P
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34