Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D and STANDARD, how is 40d19 compared to 40d?

Faster, no (unknown) problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no (unknown) problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other (unknown) problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19  (Read 162033 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19
« Reply #420 on: March 25, 2010, 02:05:36 pm »

I'm doing something like that already, naturally.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 25, 2010, 02:19:50 pm »

Sure, your code is where I got the inspiration for that. I pointed it out earlier, even.
Your current code:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Use a swap on the screen and screen_old after the update_all() and those nasty memcpy's go away.  Basically, remove the memcpy's and assignments into the _old buffers, and put the swap after the call to renderer:display.  Swap is changed to get rid of the 3rd buffer, but does swap the pointers for the 2 buffers.  gps.screen and the render.screen point to the same buffer for the next draw.

An yes, all the enabler calls used to resize the grid haven't been rewritten to handle async yet. I'm working on it.
They shouldn't need a full rewrite, they have to be run from the correct thread.  It looks like everything in the async stuff is blocking correctly so I think it likely the crash is just caused by the GL commands occuring from the wrong thread.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 25, 2010, 02:34:32 pm »

Only other bug I see is that the keybinding screen does not draw consistently.  It looks like you just need to move the "  enabler.flag|=ENABLERFLAG_RENDER;" out of feed and into logic.  Same with various macro screens.

Otherwise it seems to be totally ready for bigger testing.  Nice work.
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 25, 2010, 03:33:30 pm »

That's sorted the zoom commands and fullscreen. Still got to fix the movie stuff. Which is a little hard without any movies, I should see if I can get the intro movie working.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 25, 2010, 03:34:09 pm »

I'm doing something like that already, naturally.
OK then, sorry for the needless post, then.  :)

I just wasn't sure what the problem with the 10 ms granularity would be, then.  Surely the timing loop should compensate for any extra delays by just sleeping less (or not at all) on the next iteration?  Sure, that might result in it sleeping 10 ms every tenth iteration rather than 1 ms every iteration, but it's not like a human can really notice a 10 ms jitter, anyway.

Anyway, I'm probably just making myself look stupid and should go read the code before commenting on it. :P
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 25, 2010, 03:37:14 pm »

Humans are surprisingly good at noticing jitter, even to the millisecond level.  :D

But yeah, it's probably overkill to even think about this. It's mostly just that I'm a perfectionist, and I'm totally out of low-hanging or even high-hanging fruit, so I'm looking for rare fruit growing at the peak of mount olympus.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 25, 2010, 04:49:17 pm »

Huh.  I just noticed that I cannot zoom in/out when using any of the 2D print modes.  STANDARD works fine, though.  This is happening on a Linux machine using d19, and a Windows machine using d19_2.  (In both cases, STANDARD allows me to zoom, but it doesn't seem to handle the tile background properly and the framerate is lower.)

--K

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 25, 2010, 04:54:25 pm »

It's called "2D" for a reason. Without using opengl, there's no reasonable way to zoom.

The framerate drop (though a bit unusual) should be mitigated by the threading in the next version - removed, if you have a dual-core.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 25, 2010, 05:23:10 pm »

Veroule: I was swapping arrays at the wrong time, in exactly the right way to make it appear to not be drawn. Or to totally mess up the display if framerate is less than 2x display rate. Well, fixed now.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 25, 2010, 05:35:39 pm »

Also the change back to a calculated sleep was not an issue.  I had to disable the the code for adjusting the resolution to compile.  After think about it I realized why it isn't an issue, the gfps cap that is being used for the calculation will always be <=50 making the calculation come out over 20 everytime.

Speaking of that don't forget to put protections for setting those values back in.  A division by 0 protection is a must.

I will take a look at all the new stuff.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 25, 2010, 05:42:47 pm »

Hey Baughn, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but life got busy. Been messing around with d19_2 and it seems a vast improvement, +10 fps based on what the FPS in the parenthesis says, and it FEELS much faster, overall. More responsive, smoother, and this is in comparison to d16 which was the fastest DF for me so far. 40-60 dwarves and a FPS of 60-80 (depending on how many of them I have running to throw away rocks. :D ) is pretty amazing, really. Great work!
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 25, 2010, 07:59:29 pm »

Yep. If you've got a dual-core, you'll be looking at a pretty solid speedup. If you're not.. well, actually you might still get a speedup (the reasons are pretty complex), just not as big of one.

Sweet! Is this going to be added in with DF2010 or shortly thereafter?

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 25, 2010, 08:22:35 pm »

Sweet! Is this going to be added in with DF2010 or shortly thereafter?

If it's in DF2010 we get all the related benefits, if it's added after release we get DF2010 just that much sooner.

Win\Win, IMHO.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 25, 2010, 08:34:05 pm »

Everything seems to check out fine.  Hopefully Toady will have time to push out a D20 so you can get a larger group of testers before it goes into the final merge.

But yeah, it's probably overkill to even think about this. It's mostly just that I'm a perfectionist, and I'm totally out of low-hanging or even high-hanging fruit, so I'm looking for rare fruit growing at the peak of mount olympus.
Your mission should you truly seek the Golden Apple of Calixti: Write a new options screen allowing users to control all graphical items on the fly.  They should be able to load different tile sets, adjust the fps caps and display thereof, change between drawing modes, turn on graphical tile usage, adjust the PP count, and change the colors.

If you make it able to save out to the init.txt while still preserving the comments then you will also be given the Sacred Cherry of Cthullu.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 25, 2010, 08:34:25 pm »

If you've got a dual-core, you'll be looking at a pretty solid speedup. If you're not.. well, actually you might still get a speedup (the reasons are pretty complex), just not as big of one.

I'm going to go ahead and register my cautious enthusiasm because of this.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34