Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Matchshield - Authentic Dwarven Town  (Read 8493 times)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Matchshield - Authentic Dwarven Town
« on: February 23, 2010, 07:47:12 pm »

Tadsodel
Matchshield

I started this fort with invasions off and a pop cap of 20.  After making several massively ridiculous and grand underground forts, I thought I'd try to build a town that I would actually want to live in.  So with a small, tight-knit band of dwarves (and no nobles), that's what I did.

Each dwarf or family has their own house - bedroom upstairs, dining room downstairs.  Other town amenities include the temple (tower under construction), fine offices for those who require them, and the jail (my personal favorite design).

Since then, it's also become a residence of crazy dwarf scientist-engineers building complex contraptions, such as the main attraction, Zirilashok (Firetime), the Magma Clock Tower (of doom).

If you'll notice the semi-built walls, I plan to turn invasions back on eventually.

Yr 322:

Yr 316:

See It!
- DFMA Map (322)
- Map Download (316)

Next on the To-Do List
- Finish the wall
- Fancy obsidian factory (how automated can it be? :))
- Finish the church
- Remodel meeting hall

Experimental Features:

- Zirilashok, a Magma Clock Tower
This is a Felsite Clock Tower.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encircled with bands of Orthoclase.  This object menaces with spikes of Felsite.  On the item is an image of Magma in Clear Glass.

Technical Notes
The clock mechanism was designed by Jyppa in this recently popular thread.  This is merely a display for his clock.

A pump stack behind the clock takes magma to the top.  A series of hatches running down a column behind glass in the front are linked to the clock mechanism, dropping magma down as time passes.  Each line on the clock face marks two hours.

- Lokasturdim, an Automatic Butchering Tower

Technical Notes
Based on a foggy memory of a project I think I saw on the forum:

Several wild camels are chained in rooms at the top of the tower.  They have calves, which grow up and eventually try to escape the tower.  By doing this, they trigger the pressure plates, which open the bridge and drop them several floors into the death chamber.

Note that the timing was slightly off for the configuration shown above - I switched the pressure plates and the doors and now it works better.  In 322 I switched it to a repeater rather than the pressure plates, which tended to only catch some of the escapees.  Still needs tweaking.

- The Wildfire Cannon

Video: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2024-boozebombsandthewildfirecannon

Technical Notes
We of Tadsodel have read the reports of many attempting to harness the fireball-throwing powers of the fire imps.  However, all experiments we researched failed due to the stubborn critter's failure to consistently fire while in a protected position (and preservation of the specimen is certainly prefered).

We decided that rather than attempting to have the imp shoot invaders, we could use it to create an even more deadly wildfire to ravage the entire invading army, something we cannot do even with magma.

In our first test, the distance between the imp and the sacrificial cat (intended to provoke the imp into throwing fireballs) was too little, and the cat was simply clawed to death.  This new design, as the figures above show, works excellently.

The fire can be made to cross bridges and other usually non-flammable areas by laying down logs or other flammable objects (a great use for any useless enemy clothing).  We must also experiment with methods to make the fire cross hills.

- First Bank of Tadsodel
Da bank.  See DFMA.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:50:59 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Matchshield - Authentic Dwarven Town
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:49:33 pm »

That is really cool. Well done my good sir!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:55:35 pm »

This is very good

I like the clock tower

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:01:58 pm »

Gods below, that is magmanificent.

(Incidentally, "crazy", "scientist" and "engineer" are most likely the same word in Dorfish.)
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »

This is a finely crafted settlement. I lke that it incorporates my recent two favourite pieces automation.

If I may ask, what is that green thing to the left in your first picture?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:30:37 pm »

Thanks for the comments ;D.

The green structure is for catching wild animals.  You can see that the middle is missing - there's a cage trap in there.  There are I think three scattered around the map.  I used them to catch those camels for the tower and I'm hoping to get a pack of groundhogs or something for the other side.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:32:46 pm by bmaczero »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 08:33:54 pm »

That, my good sir, is ingenious
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:49:48 pm »

Nicely done my good sir. I'll be watching how this goes. ;D

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:06 pm »

Next on the list: finish the wall around the town, and install some seige weapons and take some new approaches to the oft-attempted "fire-imp defense"...

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 10:20:21 pm »

Oh man, there are so many fortress ideas I want to do that I never find the time to do/never find the time to plan/never bother to do/never bother to plan.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:24:26 pm »

I just wanted to crawl out of my lurker hole and give my props to this project. Especially the auto-butchering building! It's brilliant! I'm currently holding off on a new fort until the new release comes out...but you sir, have definitely inspired me to new heights of insanity. Keep up the good work!
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:47:37 pm »

Wow, I agree: the whole thing is awesome. My favorite part though is the auto-butchering tower.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 09:24:22 pm »

Added another gadget, dubbed The Wildfire Cannon.  See the first post :).

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 09:31:38 pm »

That wildfire cannon's a snazzy design. I like it. I wish fires moved across z-levels.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 09:36:35 pm »

This is weird, I was literally JUST looking at this particular map not three hours ago, then you post it on the forums. I actually started a fortress based on your map before you posted this.
Pages: [1] 2