Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human traders?  (Read 1260 times)

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
Human traders?
« on: February 18, 2010, 04:50:49 pm »

This is starting to become a trend. I generate a new world, just using vanilla stats. I find a place to set down, and in the second year I get traders. Elves in the spring. Dwarves in the autumn. No humans
Not in 5 differently generated worlds.
Am I missing something here? When do the humans appear?
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Human traders?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:52:34 pm »

Maybe you don't have enough wealth?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:52:45 pm »

How long have you waited for them exactly?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:53:54 pm »

How long have you waited for them exactly?
Usually about two years, which is when the wiki suggests they should appear. It is entirely possible I'm not waiting long enough
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:54:38 pm »

2nd Year in the Summer is when they usually show up. That said you may be genning worlds where the humans have died out or are picking locations where the humans are far away or can not access your site (check before embarking by tabbing through the various displays). Check the Legends of those genned worlds to see if humans exist in them.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 04:59:34 pm »

Can someone tell me how to read the 'neighbors' tab when you're embarking? The wiki has been bloody useless on that point.
If I'm reading it correctly (and I'm beginning to doubt that I am), all races should have access. It looked like...this
Dwarf
Goblin  -------
Elf
Human

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:01:55 pm »

It means that dwarves will come with caravans, elves will come with their pack animals, goblins will attack, and humans will trade. All species are there. My guess is that you need more wealth to attract them.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:03:30 pm »

Oh, wealth is a factor? Will they come later when I have more?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:05:57 pm »

If you build it ... they will come.
I have an art blog now.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:11:31 pm »

Can someone tell me how to read the 'neighbors' tab when you're embarking? The wiki has been bloody useless on that point.
If I'm reading it correctly (and I'm beginning to doubt that I am), all races should have access. It looked like...this
Dwarf
Goblin  -------
Elf
Human
Civs in the neighbor's tab are listed in order of distance from your fortress, closest to furthest.  This is speculation, but I strongly strongly suspect that proximity has a lot to do with how quickly other civilizations arrive (be they invaders or traders).  This could be the problem here.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:41:03 pm »

It's the Progress Trigger in the Entity. Humans have a higher requirement, so while Elves arrive in the first spring, the Humans typically arrive the year after.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:55:01 pm »

I've personally never seen humans arrive until you trade enough. I have a fort where they didn't show until I started giving traders huge profits in the eighth or so year. Not sure if it differentiates between elves and humans, but that's my experience. On forts where I start trading early they come nearly right away.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 09:20:52 pm »

I've personally never seen humans arrive until you trade enough. I have a fort where they didn't show until I started giving traders huge profits in the eighth or so year. Not sure if it differentiates between elves and humans, but that's my experience. On forts where I start trading early they come nearly right away.

It makes sense. Their first reaction is "an outpost? are they researching pigtails or something? who cares" but then you start importing and exporting stuff to the mountainhomes. Rumors and goods travel between depots in different towns and cities - and the humans come over smiling over all the pigtails they're going to buy.

They always come to me very early... because I don't put much energy into making food in the beginning, I just whip together something to trade and buy all I need. and that includes armor and weapons and ropes etc
I have an art blog now.