Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wine Mod?  (Read 777 times)

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wine Mod?
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:47:51 am »

Ok so I was thinking about the drinks the Dwarfs have and their ability to cook foods and what not, when it came to me that the drinks in dwarf fortress seem to leave a bit to be desired.

Admittedly, I'm not all that skilled in Dwarf fortress yet so perhaps something like this already exists and I just don't know about it. But from what I know about Wine they have a peek year that it is good to serve it. That is before that year and it won't have aged enough, after that year and it's started to turn to vinegar.

So how hard would it be to make a Dwarf Wine mod such that cheep wines start out at near max quality and go down hill over time, while the best wines start out not as tasty but gain in quality up until a peek age, and then start to decay again? It would be fairly cool making food piles and setting them so they can only hold wine, and putting the piles behind doors you lock and unlock during certain years to keep your dwarfs from drinking the wine before it's become good. Thus making a nice Dwarf Wine Cellar.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wine Mod?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:45:14 am »

That's quite simply impossible at the moment, sorry.

Pathos

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:42:27 am »

OP: Chuck it on the suggestions forum.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 03:38:35 pm »

Hm, dwarven wine is stored in barrels, though, and barrel-aging is quite distinct from bottle-aging.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:27:46 pm »

Hm, dwarven wine is stored in barrels, though, and barrel-aging is quite distinct from bottle-aging.
Yet another consideration. The current system means the wine isn't being aged. Those barrels are tapped, if not simply open. A wine aging system would have to track which barrels are sealed and which are available to bottle from.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:26:44 pm »

Hm.  Given that dwarven "beer," "ale," "wine," etc. are manufactured at a distillery (and made of fungus), it's probably a safe bet that dwarf beverages are quite different from human ones (even though they also produce aboveground stuff at the still, which are in-game the same as stuff you get from humans; maybe the human traders know to distill their exported wines and beers to suit the dwarven palate).  So it could be that every dwarven drink is like Scotch; the longer it's in the barrel, the better it is.  Although, Scotch has to be in the barrel for an absolute bare-ass minimum of 2 years, and most places do around 5-6 years for their cheap blended whiskys...

Come to think of it, cheese should really be aged too.  It's not fit to be called "cheese" unless it's been aged 2 years, if you ask me.  Even the FDA, with their ridiculously low standards, require I think 4 months of aging.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:31:37 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:17:16 am »

That's quite simply impossible at the moment, sorry.

Nothing is impossible for dwarven scientists!

Unfortunately a lot is impossible for modders though...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 02:43:11 pm »

Hm.  Given that dwarven "beer," "ale," "wine," etc. are manufactured at a distillery (and made of fungus), it's probably a safe bet that dwarf beverages are quite different from human ones (even though they also produce aboveground stuff at the still, which are in-game the same as stuff you get from humans; maybe the human traders know to distill their exported wines and beers to suit the dwarven palate).  So it could be that every dwarven drink is like Scotch; the longer it's in the barrel, the better it is.  Although, Scotch has to be in the barrel for an absolute bare-ass minimum of 2 years, and most places do around 5-6 years for their cheap blended whiskys...

Come to think of it, cheese should really be aged too.  It's not fit to be called "cheese" unless it's been aged 2 years, if you ask me.  Even the FDA, with their ridiculously low standards, require I think 4 months of aging.

Dwarves make drinkable alcoholic beverages in a minute the same way they can make a fifteen story 50X50 tower made of lead stand on a single pillar made of charcoal or liquid water.

Magic. DWARVEN magic.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 03:17:20 pm »

And headcrabs.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository