Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issunnir - How odd is my fort/worldgen?  (Read 1172 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Issunnir - How odd is my fort/worldgen?
« on: February 14, 2010, 11:52:04 pm »

Hmm... Something of a DF noob here, but I think I may have stumbled upon something rather rare.

First, a little background, I guess... I started DF thanks to somehow getting to reading Boatmurdered... then Mermaid ranching... then Cacame.  I wound up starting a game after drifting through the wiki for no less than three days, and genning several worlds.

I wasn't sure about what I wanted, so I just upped the vulcanism, and searched for pretty much everything.

On my last attempt before I would have given up, I got it.

Magma pipe, underground river (actually 7 stories above ground level), bottomless pit (and chasm if you make the embark wide), HFS (if you make embark wide), and on two biomes, split roughly 50/50.  One is warm mirthful shrubland (unicorns) with sand, chalk, marble, and gabbro with plenty of magnetite.  The other is a standard volcanic mountain with Andersite, Rhyolite, and Granite.  Making your embark point wider and less "tall" will make you have more mountain and less shrubland.

This was already pretty spectacular, so I naturally decided to settle there, but then I found some other unusual stuff later on...

The first civ I would have gone with, the Soaked Pulley, was actually completely wiped out by the elves.  My second choice, the Godly Tombs, actually had an elven queen (who was nothing but a farmer, no Cacame by any stretch).  The elves are, strangely, actually conquering much of the world, which, it turns out, seems to be because the elven empire features a large number of goblins from some war where elves conquered goblin fortresses, and then started expanding rapidly.  One of the goblin empires, meanwhile, feature literally more humans and elves in their forces than actual goblins, and one that I embarked on top of to see actually had elven priestesses and a legendary spearelf.

I've also had over 30 dwarves migrate every Spring (36 last time) except the first spring's migration, which was "only" 18.  (I guess they want to flee elven rulership?)

Anyway, I'm five years into my fortress, although I have backup saves for different years so that I could view my annual progress.  The biggest problem with this place is that the magma vent (and the pit) are kind of far from the rest of the features.  You need to make embark 7x, 4y to make the underground river and magma vent both fit in the same embark, and HFS requires 8x and 5y. I've managed to dig my magma channels (the magma vent is right in the middle of the sand, so easy glass production there), but have yet to really get my water tower tapped and my massive resevoirs going.  It's height makes pressurizing water extremely easy, and I think I'm going to dig a massive vertical chamber using all 22 elevations near the start of the river so that I have a "Pressurized Water Tower" that can supply water to the rest of the fort.

The underground river is, as I said, seven elevations above the shrubland ground level, and appears as a waterfall apparently from another dimension only a couple z-levels from the peak of the mountain, so it would actually be fairly easy to flood the (non-mountain) world, if it weren't for the open-air magma vent and bottomless pit.

Worldgen data (note I ham-handedly forced more vulcanism):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Where to find the site:

I'd post one of those pictures of the entire map, but I can't remember what I'm supposed to press to generate one of those.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how odd all these things are... I know the oddest thing to me when I started was just how many dwarves came each Spring, but I'm getting the impression I really, REALLY lucked out on worldgen, and have a very unusual world history, considering how the elves have so much land.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Issunnir - How odd is my fort/worldgen?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:19:01 am »

Eh,It's quite a rare find.However the oddest site has already been discovered.The one with every feature.Anyway,looks like a good place for a megaproject.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:19:52 pm »

Well, I'm actually wondering more about the apparently very mixed-race empires in this world.  The elven-goblin empire is rather large, when I thought that elves didn't expand from their opening cities, but they are covering roughly a quarter of the map in only a 200 year worldgen, the largest and most successful civ around.

Dwarves, in fact, look almost extinct in this world - one of the four civs is completely dead, my own civ managed to conquer a few elf cities, and had a king who was a megabeast slayer and victor of multiple conflicts, but by the time he died of age, and my new elf queen came to power, there had been about 50 years of a new battle every year between two goblin civs and the elf-goblin empire, so it had apparently come down to genocide against the last of the northern dwarves. 

When my elf queen (born in dwarven land, she has a dwarven name, Asmel - merchant, as well) rose to power, she apparently immediately signed peace treaties with everyone around.  (Although the wars may have simply stopped because we ran out of adult dwarves to wage them.) I prefer to think of this not as a cowardly or desperate bid for survival against certain extinction, but as a clever ploy by someone behind the scenes, trying to put up a peace-loving hippy elf with no interest in Dwarven politics as a puppet ruler so that a low-born, inconspicuous plotter or conspiracy could manipulate Dwarven politics.  Two, however, can play this game, and I fully intend to bring this elven queen of ours to our own fortress, butter her up with a unicorn zoo, a marble tower and glass tower living quarters, and an in-house private waterfall for mist, while I dispose of these scheming royal usurpers to make room for my own usurpation of power.... hehheheh

The southern dwarf civilizations seem overwhelmed by the other great empire in this world: a goblin civ (The Crimson Incest) that has a HUGE number of human and elven slaves.  They've basically been stuck in their starting cities, scrabbling for survival.

The human civs seem like little more than renewable sources of slaves for the goblins and the malevolent elven empire.  I actually now wonder what would happen if I let this world gen to 1050... would the elves eventually be able to literally conquer the entire world?!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:21:51 pm »

would the elves eventually be able to literally conquer the entire world?!
Happened to me once.It was a small world so I went to play adventure mode and killed everyone.Freaking everyone.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:05:35 pm »

How did you get that picture showing territories?

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 03:50:57 pm »

It's in legends mode.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 04:30:54 pm »

Well i'm no expert on any of these things but i do have to say in my brief time playing the game (less than a year). It took me months of repeated play to find what i thought was a good spot.
  I lucked out on features as you did, i have a magna pipe, river with spring, underground river, underground pool, a chasm, a bottomless pit, and a hfs. Until a couple days ago i was relying on goblinite and orcinite but finally struck a nice solid patch of magnetite. REJOICE!...also have endless amounts of limestone. I THINK its a multiple biome but forget exactly, though it's a 6x6. The only thing lacking that i would prefer are massive amounts of z levels....only around 30 from bottom of the pit to the top of the small mountain. A larger embark would give you more z levels also. Sadly i embarked for the first time without an anvil, did not save the map till directly after embark and was using DIG DEEPER for the first time. It took me a dozen starts, none of which lasted longer than 2 years before being wiped out. Not wanting to reclaim with an army of dwarves i repeatedly tried to tame this map with the original party i deployed with. I eventually used a single tile wide super long flood-able tunnel to trap and kill the orcs...by the second year i added powered spikes to the tunnel and finally a shooting gallery above it. I'm now into my 4th year and have the best fortress i have made to present. I've yet to use any of the features besides the river for power and magma for the furnaces. oh and there is sand also, though just black i think! oh..and bauxite :P
  As for civs i'm not sure of the history beyond the fact that my engravers keep making images of "Rashgur Dur" aka "The Attack of Fists", which is pretty damn cool. lol. Seems to be a civil war of some sort because alot of the engravings feature not only the usual dwarf striking down goblin but also dwarves killing each other. heh!

heres a snap.

In short...... If you find a good spot keep it...they are hard to find indeed but awsome when you do.  I fiddled with the custom settings extensively but have no idea what i did....just changed settings generated, repeat...if the changes are persistant and if anyone wants to tell me how i'll share this... beyond that i have the data folder backed up seconds after embark....

Anyways not trying to steal your thunder, just confirming its hard as hell to find these optimal sites.  cheers!!

Bud
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:36:27 pm by Buddybud »

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 05:52:12 pm »

To get good sites like that it helps to turn up all the variences, so instead of one biome in a 16x16 area you get like 3 on average.  Then try and trick worldgen in to making more little mountain areas and look for places where like 1-5 mountain tiles are sitting in the middle of a forest or whatever.  After erosion (which you can increase) the game has to cram everything into a handful of mountain squares because those are all thats left. 

Still though, good sites like that are hard to find. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...