Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for dwarven comfort.  (Read 918 times)

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestions for dwarven comfort.
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:42:31 pm »

I haven't bothered to search, so, these may or may not be the most common suggestions around; but it seems lacking to me and fairly easy to implement.

Anyways, I was reading Wheel of Time, the first book in the series, and I noticed that a lot of the time was spent in inns, or taverns, or pubs. So I set out to recreate one in Dwarf Fortress, and I saw an item that wasn't there, but should be.

A fireplace. It could be made out of several stones, and be continually fed and lit by haulers or item collectors. It could serve the same purpose as a meeting area as other items do. See: Zoo; Dining room as well I believe. Fireplaces could be placed like any normal furniture and might have the restriction of being inside.

A campfire. Either with or without stones, could be the equivalent to a fireplace, only for outside uses instead. (Such as if the dwarves are staying outside, or have just begun to make the fortress).

If cooking with heat is ever implemented, then the aforementioned two items could be used for that purpose. (Along with maybe an oven nearby the kitchen workshop).

Thanks,

- Kayla

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for dwarven comfort.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 03:04:26 am »

Footkerchief, why don't you just give up? Nobobody will EVER use the search function so long as you are around to do things for us. Are you trying to raise your powers to MODdom?
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 03:08:51 am »

Footkerchief, why don't you just give up? Nobobody will EVER use the search function so long as you are around to do things for us. Are you trying to raise your powers to MODdom?

He's simply taken up the mantle I've mostly discarded out of frustration.   Trying to instill some respect for the rules has nothing to do with desire for being a mod.

Anyways, the issue with campfires and fireplaces is that smoke would accumulate and that could cause problems unless ventilation is worked in.  I think in 2D it was vaguely implied you had vents.  3D would make it harder.   More flows are usually a bad idea, not that there aren't benefits to a possible 'air quality' layer.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:20:31 am »

Does smoke rise in the game? Eh, you could just have a bright outside tile going 25 Z-LEVELS UP! Seems pretty ridiculous to me, venting does.
Or, we could do it this way (I am gonna be using this picture a lot from now on):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 11:58:02 am »

Even if I do give up, it's not like people will magically grow the gumption to use search.  It's not about "instilling respect" either -- I'm just trying to improve this forum's ability to make useful contributions to development.  And no, being a mod would probably reduce my effectiveness.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:01:45 pm by Footkerchief »