Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bookkeeping and bin storage  (Read 1379 times)

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bookkeeping and bin storage
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:32:45 am »

OK, I have two confusing situations. First off, I just gave my bookkeeper an office to move up to medium precision. She reached medium, but then for some reason she kept on going to high precision. I removed the office so she would have to stop working and get to other tasks, but why didn't my bookkeeper stop once she reached the medium precision I had designated?
Second, I have a store item in bin job. When you view the job, it just says chalk blocks - no target bin. Whenever my dwarves take up this task, they say "job item misplaced" partway through the job, even though I have two partially full bins at the stockpile with the chalk blocks. One of these bins has bars in it so I can see why they might not want to group bars and blocks, but the other bin is empty. Why is this happening?
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bookkeeping and bin storage
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:56:03 am »

Your bookkeeper is probably just trying to hold that level of precision but is going over a bit, don't know how that is a problem since I always have mine as exact.

Your getting "job item misplaced" because the job object is already taken, been destroyed, or the task is being reset.And for some reason there is always and empty bin in stockpiles.

Elijah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:02:54 am »

It doesn't take long for a Bookkeeper to reach exact, so I would suggest just to leave it there...

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:21:05 am »

Somehow the job item misplaced bit fixed itself, still don't know how that happened but at least it got resolved.
As for the other one, I'm just going to wait until my records go out of precision to let my bookkeeper back at it. I can't afford to waste her time, she's getting my steel industry started.
At 55 frames per minute.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:29:36 am »

the 'job item misplaced' warning can come up if dwarves are trying to put something in a bin/barrel and the container is picked up by another dwarf.   This happens because dwarves will start filling bins/barrels while they are still in the furniture stockpile and then part way through being filled a dwarf will come by and move the bin to its new appropriate stockpile.

Hope that makes sense?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:50:49 am »

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm just going to ignore that problem since it seems to have solved itself. What's up with my bookkeeper though? (Lemme reassign the office and see what happens when she's done with my hematite.)
At 55 frames per minute.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 05:57:06 am »

I think it works like this:
a) You have a bookkeeper, and set the precision level
b) When he/she has time (i.e. finished the current job) the bookkeeper checks whether the books precision has been reached or not. If its currently below the one you set, they start bookkeeping. If the books are in order, they do something else like haul or hang out near a statue.
c) If he/she doesn't interrupt the bookkeeping job  (e.g. to drink or eat or sleep), he/she will continue working even after reaching the level of precision you set. After a certain amount of time the bookkeeping task is completed.
d) Go to b

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 06:56:34 am »

Somehow the job item misplaced bit fixed itself, still don't know how that happened but at least it got resolved.
As for the other one, I'm just going to wait until my records go out of precision to let my bookkeeper back at it. I can't afford to waste her time, she's getting my steel industry started.
Book-keeping builds xp very quickly. And it is a non-moodable skill.
If you want her to be agile (so she runs around the smelter quickly), tough (so she keeps working a long time between breaks), and strong (so she actually CAN carry the bin full of iron bars) - put her onto book-keeping, at full precision.

You will lose her for a short time but her attribute gains will give you that back (and then some) in productivity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 03:47:51 pm »

Some dwarves will do extra work based on their personality.

And some will do little/no work based on their personality.

(theres a measure for lazyness, but also several other traits that would/should effect this)

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 07:35:28 pm »

(...) - put her onto book-keeping, at full precision.

You will lose her for a short time but her attribute gains will give you that back (and then some) in productivity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did the same with some success, mainly as training for recruits ... The slight downside to this: My engravers love doing "Dwarf gets fired from noble position" engravings in the dining halls. I dug these out and replaced them with grates ... not sure if seeing engravings (of himself getting fired from the Bookkeeper job) would've caused unhappy thoughts for the dwarf though.

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 02:03:39 am »

Quote from: Samyotix link=topic=49464.msg1030539#msg1030539
I did the same with some success, mainly as training for recruits.

For me, first ledgandary (or dorf I like) get put in book keeping till they're ledgandary,then they go into some kind of fast job like mining, because their ledgandary already they level that was fast, then into anouther fast job like woodcutting which levels EVEN faster once they have ledgand mining. And THEN...

Suffice to say the dwarf never gets any real work done because their too busy leveling easy jobs but he DOES get some nice attributes.
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 02:07:40 am »

My engravers love doing "Dwarf gets fired from noble position" engravings in the dining halls. I dug these out and replaced them with grates ... not sure if seeing engravings (of himself getting fired from the Bookkeeper job) would've caused unhappy thoughts for the dwarf though.

Offtopic, but no, they don't care at all yet.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!