Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I Hope DF talk comes out soon  (Read 2365 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
I Hope DF talk comes out soon
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:17:37 pm »

Its officially been over a month since the last talk came out and I'm itching for the new one. Makes me wish they had an official release date, or at least a vague idea, like "Probably first week of the month" or something. I can definitely see why DF has no release date, considering it's complexity and the massive amount of things that can go wrong, but a pod cast doesn't strike me as too hard to produce for a deadline; unless of course they all have massive scheduling conflicts. I know we'll never get an actual release date, but It would still be nice.

Sorry if this comes out a bit whiny but gosh darn it, I'm antsy for the new version and I don't have new df talk to tide me over. Now that we're actually in the end stretch of the release (at least I really hope so) the suspense is killing me. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Hope DF talk comes out soon
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:42:03 pm »

Considering that 2010 release is quite close, I'd prefer to have release 1st, not the podcast.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:49:56 pm »

Considering that 2010 release is quite close, I'd prefer to have release 1st, not the podcast.

It won't release till end of this month at least. If you read the devblog it's pretty obvious that we're still a while away, probably another month or so.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:29:07 pm »

It won't release till end of this month at least. If you read the devblog it's pretty obvious that we're still a while away, probably another month or so.
Not necessarily. Toady's still finding problems, but I get the feeling we're looking pretty solid now. And he won't wait until it's totally perfect to release; that's why it's a beta.

Not that a couple weeks matter much.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 03:53:51 pm »

Actually this isn't even a beta, but an Alpha.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 03:59:48 pm »

Not necessarily. Toady's still finding problems, but I get the feeling we're looking pretty solid now. And he won't wait until it's totally perfect to release; that's why it's a beta.

Not that a couple weeks matter much.

I dunno, some of the crash bugs that he's still getting seem pretty bad.

I mean this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
was less then a week ago. Imma guess middle of march, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 04:04:35 pm »

Well, only actual blocker is SDL merge. Post-release bug-fixing is inevitable anyway.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 04:06:52 pm »

a pod cast doesn't strike me as too hard to produce for a deadline

DF Talk only exists because community members are volunteering their spare time to make it happen.  It's not something they're obligated to do, nor something to which you're entitled.  "Too hard" has little to do with it, although it should also be said that audio editing is painstaking and time-consuming work.  So, yeah, this does come off as a little whiny.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 04:16:15 pm »

Its officially been over a month since the last talk came out and I'm itching for the new one.

Good thing we're not on a set schedule.

Makes me wish they had an official release date, or at least a vague idea,

Vague idea:  It'll be out when it's out.

but a pod cast doesn't strike me as too hard to produce for a deadline

Remember, slower pizza's more luscious;
For the King of Spain never rushes.

Threads like this have been posted every single month.   It makes me sad ->  :(

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 04:30:31 pm »

Remember, slower pizza's more luscious;
For the King of Spain never rushes.

Threads like this have been posted every single month.   It makes me sad ->  :(

You should take it as a compliment that people love and care enough about what you do that they are willing to attempt to jockey a system they had no prior knowledge of. :)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 04:36:20 pm »

The Beatles quit because of their fans.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 07:02:46 pm »

The beatles were just quitters!  >:(

Seriously though, id take it as a compliment that people like your stuff so much that they are basically willing to beg you to hurry up.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 07:31:01 pm »

It's a kind of backhanded compliment then, to have someone every month posting a thread saying you're not doing it fast enough for them.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 07:47:56 pm »

It's a kind of backhanded compliment then, to have someone every month posting a thread saying you're not doing it fast enough for them.
Think of them as addicts clamoring for their next fix.

Unless that makes it worse.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:07:39 pm »

Its not that it's not being done fast enough, I don't think I ever said it needed to be done faster. It's just the whole "It will be done whenever." Thing that makes it hard to wait. Its the anticipation that it might be tomorrow and the agony that it might be in a few weeks. I'm not annoyed that it's not out, I'm just really anxious for it and was wondering if other people were too.  I didn't expect you to interpret "I like these and wish we knew when the next one would come out" as "I like these but hurry the fuck up".

In my opinion the people who say you're not going fast enough say that because they don't know how long it actually takes to make these or the work that goes into them.
Pages: [1] 2