Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: What to do with a clock?  (Read 23163 times)

Ciber_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with a clock?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2010, 08:55:58 pm »

I was going to try that but it ended up being 7 linked giant caverns with a river running through them
Mountain,Desert,City,Forest,Swamp,Lake,Dwarfputer to pwer enviorment controled mini volcano in the ocen = PWN

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2010, 07:06:40 pm »

Finally finished my magma clock tower  ;D.

I made the basic hour-cycle counter.  Built a 12+ z-level tower with a pump stack running up the back and a hollow column exposed to the outside through clear windows on the front.  Magma drops in the column and is slowly dropped down the column by floor hatches linked to the clock.

If anyone's interested I'll post the map.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Kigali

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2010, 07:13:54 pm »

Yes please do

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010, 07:21:48 pm »

Finally finished my magma clock tower  ;D.

I made the basic hour-cycle counter.  Built a 12+ z-level tower with a pump stack running up the back and a hollow column exposed to the outside through clear windows on the front.  Magma drops in the column and is slowly dropped down the column by floor hatches linked to the clock.

WANT.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2010, 11:13:10 pm »

Wow, I wish I had the time to build one of these guys.  I'd love to have a clock like that.

Suggestions for this awesomness:
  • Build a Sun diagram mosaic like in Flarechannel http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=43679.0, but with 12 phases of the sun with one for each month.  Build the individual suns of retractable bridges or hatches.  Fill the level underneath with magma, and then sync the suns with each month so you have a ball of fire circling the diagram as your year progresses.  Allow POWs to wander across this alter to Armok for added brutality
  • Build an obsidian caster that adds one level to your obsidian tower each year automatically.  Bonus points if you can also automatically encase one child in each layer as it's cast with some kind of wall deconstruct/pressure plate trap.
  • Farm 12 different plants, with only one type available each month.
  • Lock your workshops on weekends so your dorfs must recognize Armok's sabbath.
  • Build supports with a 10, 20, or 50 year lifetime.  Conveniently forget how long you've set them for and build, build, build.
  • Build a patchwork of bridges or hatches in your main meeting hall.  Set each one to open for a day once each year.  If an unlucky dorf is standing on one when it opens he should be dropped into some type of maze/ordeal/gauntlet and forced to earn his freedom.  Bonus points if the bridges open on meaningful days like 6/21, 7/4, 2/14, etc...
At last, she is done.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:29 am »

Okay, I'll make a thread about it this afternoon.  My internet is acting up this morning (45 minutes to upload my save?  No thanks!)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2010, 05:21:42 pm »

So, I'm inexperienced with pressure plates and dwarfputing, but I'm taking a shot at building one of these clocks and I had a question: can we do this with 2 less pumps on each cycle?  You have 2 more pumps on each oscillator than steps you're counting.  If I understand correctly, one of them triggers the next "counter" to move one step, and the other is there for symmetry.

Is there a reason this design wouldn't work if you eliminated the extra pumps and had one of the pressure plates pull double duty by connecting it to the next pump in the oscillator AND set it to trigger the next counter?  It seems to me like this design would accomplish the same thing, but I'm not sure if it's flawed or if it complicates the design by requiring more attention to the build order.

Thoughts?
At last, she is done.

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2010, 05:28:38 pm »

The trigger has to only be barely touched, as the next cycle in the series is also a 100-step delayed repeater. Thus if you let the trigger remain active for 100 steps and reset for another 100, you'd jump two plates on the connected cycle. You could possibly accomplish this by connecting the trigger to a small secondary device (a 4-step repeater with two pumps set to be active at ON from trigger and two on OFF will accomplish this, for example), but the easiest way is to simply make the cycle longer.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2010, 07:50:55 pm »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2011, 04:33:22 pm »

A bit of a bump, but I was considering building this in 0.31.xx until I recalled a personal experience with a 3-step repeater (see this revision of the relevant wiki page) in which a pressure plate below an active pump's input tile would not trigger when water was dropped onto it (in that particular case, it'd just turn into a mist generator that operated at maximum speed). I'd hate to build this entire clock and have it not work (namely, having the day cycle fail to ever advance the week cycle) on account of this behavior.

(diagrams)

It might be possible to fix it by linking the "red" (upper-left) pressure plate in each repeater to a disengaged gear above the adjacent unconnected pump so that said pump is enabled by the pressure plate, ensuring that the plate reliably triggers, though I fear that this may disrupt the timing and/or result in the higher timers being permitted to advance multiple steps.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2011, 04:41:11 pm »

Holy necro, I forgot that I put this on email notification. In any case, after running it for two years, I did find that it dragged a few hours, which is probably explained by this bug. You could easily remove the "jump" step and have the forward step triggered by the next plate in the cycle instead, though that requires some more wiring.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2011, 05:13:10 pm »

Holy necro, I forgot that I put this on email notification. In any case, after running it for two years, I did find that it dragged a few hours, which is probably explained by this bug. You could easily remove the "jump" step and have the forward step triggered by the next plate in the cycle instead, though that requires some more wiring.

Two 'Real Life' hours, or two Dwarf Fortress hours? In the case of the latter, that is more accurate than my actual clock.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2011, 05:16:40 pm »

DF day, actually, but it could happen with months or years although unlikely. Except for that, it counts exactly, to the DF tick, and should do so if you don't use the jump as trigger.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2011, 05:19:12 pm »

It's ALIVE!

Wow. Holy necro. Does anyone in the new version have any interesting clockmaking exploits to brag about?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2011, 08:15:57 pm »

Better yet combine this with The Facility to create a crazy government that has a sacrifice of a peasant on a certain day every year out of a chose few who get to stay in their rooms. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6