Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Burn the world!  (Read 2796 times)

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burn the world!
« on: February 07, 2010, 04:11:10 am »

So, I have a magma pipe. I've (sorta) figured out pumps.

I want to have a lever to burn the world boatmurdered style. Yea, I know it'll kill my FPS but I don't care.

My basic plan is to pump up from the second to last Z level (right next to and above the magma generating tiles) and pump it so it's above the 'world' tiles i want to burn and then fill a pipe with the magma, having a lever tied to some iron hatches in the floor or something that will then dump the pressurized magma onto the world.

Will this work? If not, is there a good place I can read about a design for such a device? Is it even possible anymore? (I understand boatmurdered was an older version and all).

This is my first real megaproject and I don't want to irreparably screw it up.

If this is the wrong section feel free to move it.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Burn the world!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 05:12:54 am »

Yes, that looks like it should work. You can substitute a mass of hatches for a bridge (retractable is probably best), and just remember to use magma-safe materials. For the mechanisms you'll want default Bauxite, or add [ANY_USE] to Iron/Steel so that they can be forged into mechanisms as well.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:25:39 am »

Do you think pulling from 6 tiles or so will work?

I can't pull directly from the magma vent tiles (the spawning ones) as there is no way I can get a channel placed above them as the pipe section one Z-level above is much, much wider, so I'll be draining from the bottom z-level into a small reservoir.

6 tiles is about the max I could figure would work and sitll re-fill from the source tiles quickly, anymore and the pumps wouldn't be pulling at max effeciency?

Also, if I pump stack the magma up to the desired z-level and into the pipe, do I need another set of pumps at some point along the pipe to speed the magma up again? Or will it work fine with the stacked pumps and just letting it flow from there? It'll probably be a semi-long pipe, as I will want it to drain into the lowest surface Z-level first, which is a fair distance away from the magma pipe.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:47:15 am »

I'm not sure how you're describing how you are getting it from the vent itself. Are you digging a tunnel that overlaps a wider section, allowing a safe channel down with pumps attached?

If you really are concerned that you won't have enough to flood however much area, build/dig a large cistern out and fill that up first. I would recommend a cistern anyway, as you can position it to your liking and build in a structured manner, as opposed to the organic form and supply of the magma vent.

Magma on its own generally flows rather slowly, but when it is pumped it is as fast and expansive as water, provided it has a constant and full supply.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 06:33:14 am »

You do not really need to flood whole map - the fire will take care of every living thing.

Hm ... I wonder - if you came in adventure mode and pull the lever - will you burn (not flood) the whole world?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 07:18:56 am »

I'm not sure how you're describing how you are getting it from the vent itself. Are you digging a tunnel that overlaps a wider section, allowing a safe channel down with pumps attached?

If you really are concerned that you won't have enough to flood however much area, build/dig a large cistern out and fill that up first. I would recommend a cistern anyway, as you can position it to your liking and build in a structured manner, as opposed to the organic form and supply of the magma vent.

Magma on its own generally flows rather slowly, but when it is pumped it is as fast and expansive as water, provided it has a constant and full supply.

I'll try to describe it better.

The bottom Z-level "magma flow" tiles (the ones that produce the magma) are very narrow, say, 5 tiles wide at the edge I want to pull from.

In order to use a pump, I'll need to create open space above the tiles I want to pump from.

The next z-level up from these magma flow tiles the pipe is much wider, and extends further south by about a tile than the level below it, so I cannot create "open space" above the magma flow tiles, as there is more magma in the way on the level above.

All I'm concerned about is whether digging a hole in the wall next to the magma flow tiles on the bottom Z-level and using it to fill a small area that extends past the magma on the floor above (so i can channel down into it) will slow my magma pumping down.

It's hard to describe, I guess.

A cross section of the pipe would look something like this

7 - magma, | - un-mined area/wall, # - "magma flow" tiles.

z1 - |||||77777777777||||||
z0 - ||||||||#####||||||||

So you see, I can't channel directly to the # tiles, as there is magma on a "shelf" above.

So what I have planned is something like this (_ is a dug out area, w/floor, P is where I want my pump stack to start.)

z1 - ||||_P |7777777777|||||||
z0 - ||||||__#####||||||||

The magma should flow out of the magma flow tiles, creating 7/7 magma for  the pump to pull up.

I'm just wondering if this will be slow.

Sorry for the rough drawing.

You do not really need to flood whole map - the fire will take care of every living thing.

Hm ... I wonder - if you came in adventure mode and pull the lever - will you burn (not flood) the whole world?

Of course I need to flood the map, or at least the lower levels :D

I want this to be as excessive as possible.

If I get it to work I will definately try it in adventure mode and try to live long enough to see what happens. :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:22:13 am by DarkDragon »

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 07:45:24 am »

Prepare Project 'Fuck the World', Armok speed soldier, Armok speed for all Dwarvenkind.
I like sushi.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 08:05:26 am »

Prepare Project 'Fuck the World', Armok speed soldier, Armok speed for all Dwarvenkind.

Indeed.

Damn, if only it was instantly done. A dragon just decided my fort looked interesting. If it's anything like the one I killed in my first fort it'll be a pushover, but I have a LOT less marksdwarves this time round. Gonna tackle this after I sleep. :D

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:13 am »

That demands an experiment. For science, fun and proft!
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 05:25:47 am »

I doubt that the fire will spread across rivers and roads...  :-\
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 12:58:09 pm »

we had a thread about this a while back. there was extensive testing on that, with fun contraptions and complicated magma ducts. Search function didnt help me getting the link, tho.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 01:44:39 pm »

we had a thread about this a while back. there was extensive testing on that, with fun contraptions and complicated magma ducts. Search function didnt help me getting the link, tho.

Yes - someone tried to cross an ocean by obsidianising it ...
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 09:19:33 pm »

Knave!  Are the Preparations for Project FTW complete?  When shall my doomsday device be ready?
I like sushi.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 11:05:38 pm »

Knave!  Are the Preparations for Project FTW complete?  When shall my doomsday device be ready?

I had to deal with a dragon problem. My dwarves have now captured it and construction can resume (among day-to-day dwarven needs of course, i'm still new at the game).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 01:04:48 am »

MAJOR ISSUE.

Magma does not set fire to grass. It has to be lit by fire. Try charcoal.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2