Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are the mods that you think should be added to the official game?  (Read 1759 times)

Luxor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi!

I dont know if this has been asked before, but here it is:

Could you list (and please LINK, pretty please?) all the mods that you think Toady should add to the standard DF because they just add something useful and themed rather than changing or substituting?

I think i read somewhere about mods that add more engraving, more threats, or about a mod that allows you to build stuff out of every stone..

You know what i mean!
Which mod you couldnt play DF without?

THANKS!

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are the mods that you think should be added to the official game?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »

Economic stone mod comes to mind.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:24:26 pm »

The other mod you're thinking of is It's The Small Things.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:28:39 pm »

None (Although I think all stone should be considered economic by default).

I suppose some of the metallurgy mods might be considered, but frankly, vanilla steelmaking is complex enough. The more accurate melting points thing is a possibility, but it's somewhat of a tradition to have bauxite be the only magmasafe stone.

Everything else is up to the modder/moddee. Vanilla DF is essentially designed to be as generic and accessible as possible. I think adding thousands of setting-specific elements to the main game would turn people off.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:37:25 pm »

What, expanding threats beyond "Prepare to die!" makes the game less accessible? What about the "shapes" used in engraving?

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 04:53:00 pm »

the orc mod needs to added because there orcs and they rule
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 05:03:59 pm »

What, expanding threats beyond "Prepare to die!" makes the game less accessible? What about the "shapes" used in engraving?

Quote from: small things
[SHAPE:OHNOESHORROR]
   [NAME:horror:horrors]
   [ADJ:tusked]
   [ADJ:boat-murdering]
   [TILE:69]

[SHAPE:RIVERHH]
   [NAME:river:rivers]
   [ADJ:carp-infested]
   [TILE:247]

It's petty, sure. But I'm opposed to any attempt to shoe-horn one's work into the official release. If you think something's missing from the main game, use the suggestions board. If you think you've got a great idea to change something, or add something that makes DF into a different experience, go ahead and release your mod - I'd honestly love to see it.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 05:12:14 pm »

I can see the issue with making references, and it's something which I don't particularly like either. But the fact is that tiny bloats such as expanding the speech files are going to be pushed back for ages (they'll likely be completely rewritten by the time anyone gets around to adding anything to them officially)... I don't know, people miss these kind of mods and ask for them all the time without realising that they've ever existed.

Luxor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 06:42:04 pm »

You see, i might have named this topic in the wrong way, but what i meant is not to find out which mods should be forcefully shoved into the official version..
is more like "which mods did you try and now, whenever you reset everything or download the official version again, you add just because?"

I am talking about those mods that you've tried and found so awesome that for you they ARE Dwarf Fortress now.

And i put it down as "should be added to the official version" just because i'm trying to figure out which mods are awesome and worth it without changing the feel of the original game too much!

I hope this is clear :)

Btw, where can i find that economic stones mod?

Thanks for all your answers guys!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 07:03:46 pm »

Ohhhhhhh. Okay.

Looks like this might have some handy stuff in. I should really start using it myself.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48538.0
The only problem with the economic stones mod is that if you add your own stones you'll have to remember to stick in some dummy reactions for them too. I'm always forgetting to do that, hence why I'd rather it came as standard.

The Small Things mod is great - I'm particularly fond of the extra Prefstrings. Chariot's got a bunch of real world animal and plant mods, and a few of us are working on a titanic ark mod with thousands of animals, but that's not ready yet.

There are a load of mineral mods, my personal favourite is Wonderment which basically makes stone layers a hell of a lot more fun to dig into, and has some good alloys to work towards. I also use the realistic stone melting point thing, which I think is by Cthulthu.

If you want new fantasy monsters and stuff, lots of people like Dig Deeper or the various Orc mods, but the D&D style monsters leave me a bit cold. My favourite creature mod has to be Dawn of the Mountainhomes, by Dasleah, because it has loads of wierd giant bugs, and cool Ice Age monsters.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 11:34:36 pm »

Technically not a mod.. but I couldn't play DF without them..

Dwarf Therapist or Dwarf Manager.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 01:59:50 pm »

I always play with molten rocks...

Author went out and looked up the actual melting point of most the minerals in game and added them... result is that there are a lot more magma safe materials than just bauxite.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 08:22:07 am »

I am talking about those mods that you've tried and found so awesome that for you they ARE Dwarf Fortress now.

And i put it down as "should be added to the official version" just because i'm trying to figure out which mods are awesome and worth it without changing the feel of the original game too much!

Economic stone and that's it.

Otherwise, I play with my own mod, with 3 extra races, and some annoying things fixed (like how incredibly inconsistent animal sizes are).  So I'll just have to redo the Official Arrkhal Mod from scratch. :'(
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 10:37:48 am »

Molten Rocks mod.

For the realistic melting points to many stones. No more bauxite-related mental pain.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 11:04:03 am »

Agreed about realistic stone, both for its convenience and as a step toward further realization of dwarf fortress as a geologic simulation. Likewise "It's the Small Things" (or whichever mod adds more realistic plants and animals, including trees). Basically anything that just adds to the variety without going further into fantasy. However, more stone and metal, even if they are real, may be an inconvenience in terms of world-gen and stone-type handling.

I'd also like the economic stone mod included just for sheer convenience, but that may be unnecessary if (when?) the status/stocks menu gets overhauled.

Fantasy addition, like more civilizations (e.g. orcs), can remain as modular additions.
Pages: [1] 2