Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 654942 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4335 on: August 06, 2015, 04:16:01 pm »

So, say that I wanted to start a game of warband, where and how would I start.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: August 06, 2015, 04:18:04 pm »

Launching the game and ignoring all the violent fapping for the last few pages would be a start.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: August 06, 2015, 04:21:41 pm »

Well, my suggestion would be to take it easy for your first game. Go with a Male Noble for a start, and probably focus on combat skills at first. Sword & Shield with a backup of probably bow would be best. Personally, I'd go for Swadia as a start since it's pretty easy to deal with. You can follow the starting quest line to build up a small force of soldiers and make some money. After that, wander around and get work as a mercenary.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: August 06, 2015, 04:26:26 pm »

I have played a few games, but they all sort of petered out due to nothing happening because of truces and me just ending up mopping up sea raiders.

I seem to be having a hard time getting political influence, too.

(this was with me becoming a jarl fairly quickly)

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4339 on: August 06, 2015, 04:29:47 pm »

Murderize bandits. Anywhere if you're ranged, but Sarranid desert is prefferable if you enjoy cavarly vs cavalry fighting (huge number of bandits on horses). Do tasts for lords. After you grind up some troops and get couple of companions join up some army as mercenary. Then try to bring up some pretender to throne (pretty hard, but if you wear them down (which works best if you're using Rhodok sharpshooters, which proves their superiority) and don't annoy them early-on, you should be good to go. Those tasks you did before help too. This way you skip all the boring faction bullshit and kickstart as marshall for your faction. You can help it reconquer Calaradia or use your position to get lot's of troops and money, and then start your own kingdom, prefferably somewhere near (Sarranids, again, work best because you can easily conquer Khergits from Sarranid border).
I have played a few games, but they all sort of petered out due to nothing happening because of truces and me just ending up mopping up sea raiders.

Help a pretender then, you'll be fighting constantly and finish being marshall with (possibly) good army and a bunch of wars because Ai tends to abuse the fact that factions after a civil war are generally weaker for a while.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:39:47 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: August 06, 2015, 04:45:21 pm »

Honestly? If you want to have fun with M&B, don't play vanilla. I haven't touched vanilla since the day after I got the game, and I've put hundreds of hours into it.

My recommendations:

1257 AD
A Clash of Kings
16th Century
Gekokujo

Brytenwalda's also really well done, I've just never been able to get into it the same way I got into 1257 AD. Probably the lack of diversity in weapons and armour, as well as just a less interesting setting (in my mind).

And if you want the vanilla setting but with more fleshed out gameplay, go with Nova Aetas. It's decent if still a bit unpolished.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4341 on: August 06, 2015, 05:02:10 pm »

Huh. Usually I go tournament-hopping. Collect that sweet tourney cash, build up renown, buy some gear, establish a few dozen dyeworks. All while hunting down companions & books.
You'd want to take some merc work on the side as well, gets you in-contact with the lords so you can start building relationships & honor.
Once you're well-established and have a medium-sized core of veterans, you can go the 'champion a claimant' route before spliting off to form your own kingdom, (you'll have a buddy-kingdom).

Oh, and be sure to pack some of your Nord bros if you want to go into Rhodok lands.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:03:50 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: August 06, 2015, 05:02:51 pm »

Don't go straight into getting vassalage. Build up capital first. That little village you get is not, in the least, going to be a source of income for you. You almost always get some desolate village on the border that is constantly being raided, and trying to defend it will get you killed, either by attrition or by attracting an entire army. Instead, spend the first two or three months as a small warband. Build up an elite cadre of troops, do task for the guild masters and lords, and buy up profitable businesses. Get one in each faction first, and then, if you know which faction you want to join, more in there too. That way you don't have to worry about running out of money, even if your homeland is entirely razed and several factions are at war with you.
If you find that the pace of getting money is too slow, you have two options. First is to take up actual trading. Go from town to town, and check out prices. Not sure if, in vanilla, you get the option to find out which towns to trade to at a profit, so you might have to do that manually. Make sure to note that as a town gets less of an item, it gets more expensive, and as it gets more, they get cheaper. So if you buy an item, the next item will be slightly more expensive at that town, while if you sell one, you will get slightly less money for the next. As you travel from town to town, see if you can get a job delivering ale or guarding a caravan. Don't bother with cattle. Cattle are annoying as fuck. If trading is still too slow, become a mercenary. The wage won't give you a profit, but it will cover most of the cost of your troops. The true way you'll make money is raiding. Find a bunch of villages, preferably Khergit , or a faction/village you don't plan on getting troops from, and loot them. You can often get very large amounts of butter, which you can sell for an average of 2000 denar altogether. Put that money back into buying businesses.
Business will take a couple of months to turn a profit normally, but eventually they will, and if you end up losing a battle and all your money is taken, with your troops killed, you aren't going to just be starting over.
Is there any particular troop composition that you want to play? If not, use the golden trio of Rhodok sharpshooters, Swadian knights/ Sarranid Marmalukes, and Nord Huscarls. Sharpshooters will murder the shit out of absolutely everything at range, and are the god of sieges, both defense and attack. Knights and Marmalukes are basically exactly the same, except one is slightly faster and the other has a little more armor, IIRC. A good twenty of them is perfect for destroying lines of archers and enemy cavalry charges, and if needed can go toe to toe with most infantry. Incredibly expensive, so you might want to hold off on them for a while. Huscarls are very heavily armored, will kill any unit they close in on, and as a bonus they have a bunch of throwing weapons that can decimate an enemy infantry charge at range. If you have to, you can substitute Swadian sharpshooters for the Rhodok ones, as they are only slightly inferior, I think. Other troop combinations are viable, but they require more advanced tactics, or have big weaknesses. The Vaegir top tier infantry unit can actually kill Huscarls if they get into melee, but will be murdered long before then because they don't have shields. Same goes for their archers, who can kill sharpshooters but don't have any kind of tower shield, and their arrows don't have the damage necessary to stop a charge in its tracks. Khergits can kill many armies, but are shit at sieges and have no good infantry units. Rhodok and Swadian infantry would be good, but pike infanty in Warband aren't really as useful as they should be.
The top tier infantry are rather expensive, so don't just upgrade them the moment they can level up. Try to keep your weekly upkeep at about the level you get from your businesses.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: August 06, 2015, 05:13:11 pm »

Won't raiding villages sour my relations with the lords of that faction, though? I guess I'd just have to decide on some faction that I don't like.

Also, are there any really good companions I should seek out?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4344 on: August 06, 2015, 06:23:48 pm »

Eh, I'd say Jeremus & Artimenner are the two standouts, with doctoring/engineering respectively.
But nah not really.

More important is finding the ones you want to keep, as they aren't all compatible with eachother.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Grey circles indicate bad relationships.
Blue lines are positive.
Circled companions are nobles & easy to elevate to lords.

All companions like one other and hate two others, and they'll leave if there is too much hate.

Also of note is that most companions aren't ok with raiding villages. I'd link a source but I can't find a good one & I've got stuff to do.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: August 06, 2015, 06:33:42 pm »

jeremus and altimenner friggin hate each other

go with jeremus if you had to choose only one

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: August 06, 2015, 06:36:18 pm »

Anyone tried this AI mod ?
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,322504.0.html

It sounds very interesting, but i'm not sure performance-wise it would be any good on my system as i only play in SP and with so many AI duking it out, scripts running for batches of them sounds heavy for my old comp.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:59:10 pm by Robsoie »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: August 06, 2015, 06:43:34 pm »

Won't raiding villages sour my relations with the lords of that faction, though? I guess I'd just have to decide on some faction that I don't like.

Yep. That's why you mainly raid the khergits. I think that if you are a mercenary it resets your relations once that war ends, or you cancel your contract, but I don't think that applies to lords, only factions.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: August 06, 2015, 06:43:52 pm »

Alayen is pretty much a demigod. He starts with insane combat stats for level 2, meaning he has incredible potential later on. It's entirely possible to max out his strength (or get reasonably close) and turn him into a killing machine.

Personally I've always gone with all nobles + Artimenner and Borcha, but it isn't really that important to min/max.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: August 06, 2015, 06:54:49 pm »

but Sarranid desert is prefferable [/quote]

Quote provided by someone who has OBVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED FLORIS. Seriously, oh god I avoid that desert SOOOO hard. I avoid it even when I have a country crushing badass army because infinity+1 lancers that you can't avoid because horsies are fast on overworld map.

Well first you open up the bread...
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 310