Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 654958 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4110 on: April 01, 2015, 11:12:09 am »

No idea.

Currently in my game, the Vaegir are getting torn apart by the Nords who have castles and villages throughout their kingdom. The Kingdom of Swadia, which was like 30% of the game map at start, has been sliced in half by the Rhodoks so it's essentially two Kingdoms now. The Khergite are taking the Sarranid to town, and have captured like half their kingdom.

And I haven't even stuck my thumb into the mess, this is just what's been happening while I ride around killing bandits.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: April 01, 2015, 11:21:15 am »

Okay I take back (pretty much) all the whining I did earlier.  I recently figured out that, with Diplomacy, you can send out recruiters from your castle or town.  It's silly, but that actually solves all my gripes with the game.  The source of all my issues was that I hated the tedium of trolling villages for recruits.

Now, even though I only have 9 int for 3 training skill, I can fairly quickly and smoothly train up a half-decent army at will.  The prices are reasonable (basically 20 gold per recruit vs 10 for tedious manual recruiting), though I'm crawling in money now that I finally gained a town.  And then I gained another, because I actually have a supply of (green) reinforcements waiting in my holdings!  No longer do I feel like I have to beat magically-regenerating 100-man armies with 20-30 soldiers, or waste hours going from village to village.  And I can actually spend all this money.

And melee combat is *soo* much more fun now that it's always a proper melee, with expendable friendly soldiers distracting the enemy.  I still get targeted, but in manageable groups of 2-3 where blocking and timing actually work.  No more conga line or tedious horse-archery/lancing!

I love this game again (:  And I might, um, finally increase the difficulty past "literally easiest".  My growing core of Nord Huscarls with 50% damage reduction are slaughtering 300+ towns with rare losses.  It's such a relief after earlier frustration but...  Yeah...  Plus I want to experience manual blocking again, I used to enjoy that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: April 01, 2015, 11:36:42 am »

Okay I take back (pretty much) all the whining I did earlier.  I recently figured out that, with Diplomacy, you can send out recruiters from your castle or town.  It's silly, but that actually solves all my gripes with the game.  The source of all my issues was that I hated the tedium of trolling villages for recruits.

Now, even though I only have 9 int for 3 training skill, I can fairly quickly and smoothly train up a half-decent army at will.  The prices are reasonable (basically 20 gold per recruit vs 10 for tedious manual recruiting), though I'm crawling in money now that I finally gained a town.  And then I gained another, because I actually have a supply of (green) reinforcements waiting in my holdings!  No longer do I feel like I have to beat magically-regenerating 100-man armies with 20-30 soldiers, or waste hours going from village to village.  And I can actually spend all this money.

And melee combat is *soo* much more fun now that it's always a proper melee, with expendable friendly soldiers distracting the enemy.  I still get targeted, but in manageable groups of 2-3 where blocking and timing actually work.  No more conga line or tedious horse-archery/lancing!

I love this game again (:  And I might, um, finally increase the difficulty past "literally easiest".  My growing core of Nord Huscarls with 50% damage reduction are slaughtering 300+ towns with rare losses.  It's such a relief after earlier frustration but...  Yeah...  Plus I want to experience manual blocking again, I used to enjoy that.

You are going to love when you figure out what a high relationship with a village does and you grind the relations of 3 of them up to ~80.

Also, have you tried simply killing people on horseback with a long sword? Running along a line of archers while repeatedly decapitating them is very satisfying.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: April 01, 2015, 11:46:16 am »

Yeah, mounted blade combat is fun  ;)
I get a lot of variety out of combats now.  My general process is to sit my army on some hill, fire about 20 arrows at the enemy (certain shield hitboxes are BS but so am I), then ride down and try to get mad speed bonuses on a few sword swings.  I still miss a lot, but I like the big numbers and it's a lot faster than couched lances.  Once they actually approach my army, or I get frustrated, I dismount and wade in with my zweihander, while ordering my army to charge down the hill.  It's pretty brutal and dynamic.

About the shields, I think the shield skill simulates smart-blocking by making the hitboxes extend past the models.  It's slightly frustrating, particularly for shields which appear small, but sniping is really easy otherwise so it's good that there's a counter.

It's also a little silly that a 300% speed bonus zweihander swing from horseback can thunk against someone's shield, not even knocking them down, but bumping into them with your horse does.  Oh, and shield-bashing is practically broken-good in tournaments.  Literally in some cases (they get stunned but don't fall down, it looks silly).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:49:09 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: April 01, 2015, 12:01:36 pm »

Since I took a screenshot the other day, this is how my L'Aigle game is going.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Essentially, after I joined up with His Majesty King George the Third, the United Kingdom essentially roflstomped Hollande, wiping them out in a month's time. After that, Austria and Prussia fought over the last fort owned by them. Austria won. Then Prussia decided it'd be fun to attack the United Kingdom to get some Dutch land. They were right. Of the three towns in Hollande, Prussia owns one and is sieging down another.

Along with that, the United Kingdom is essentially at war with all of italy. Fun.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: April 01, 2015, 12:23:19 pm »

I regularly use cheat characters with max stats
You CLEARLY aren't cheating hard enough.
Text edit a character with 1000 agility (anything higher then this is impossible to control) and strength/charisma in the millions, with 10 in all skills and 500 or so in all proficiencies, THEN see how PoP stacks up :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: April 01, 2015, 01:28:55 pm »

I beat Silverstag, though the game refuses to let the damn Khergits die despite them having no land and 4 vassals.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: April 01, 2015, 01:43:44 pm »

About the shields, I think the shield skill simulates smart-blocking by making the hitboxes extend past the models.

That is correct. "   Each point reduces the damage to your shield takes when blocking a hit by 8%. It also increases your shield’s effective size versus ranged attacks and improves how quickly you can block with a shield."
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: April 01, 2015, 02:35:43 pm »

As an aside my playthrough has caused me to look into Bannerlord.....ye gods, I wants it naow. Probably be another full year away at best though. But one of the things it has that M&BWB lacks is people and environments that don't look like plastic, or a "my first mod" submission. Not to mention menus that don't make you want to hurt yourself.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: April 01, 2015, 02:50:52 pm »

Regarding menus for some reason my computer has horrendous tearing issues with the menus where in I memorized the spot for each option since sometimes the menu screen just goes black and I gotta guess where to click. Oddly this is only in M&B Warband and not in M&B, both of which I have been playing for years.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: April 01, 2015, 05:18:51 pm »

As an aside my playthrough has caused me to look into Bannerlord.....ye gods, I wants it naow. Probably be another full year away at best though. But one of the things it has that M&BWB lacks is people and environments that don't look like plastic, or a "my first mod" submission. Not to mention menus that don't make you want to hurt yourself.

Yeah, it looks nice. If you want a fun little distraction, War of the Roses is now free to play, and had some nice things going for it, but it's dying.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: April 01, 2015, 06:06:31 pm »

So, I really want to try l'aigle but my mac refuses to run M&B properly. No text shows up at all. I fear it's a problem with my inbuilt graphics card, but I wanted to know if there are any possible fixes. Anyone else have this problem?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: April 01, 2015, 09:56:07 pm »

Aren't the Rhodoks supposed to be the guys who can break a Swadian charge or whatever? I'm getting my ass beat by a party half my size of comparable training. Should I not be holding my ground? How do I deal with the invincible cavalry?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: April 01, 2015, 10:14:52 pm »

I'm beginning to realize I shouldn't have married based on pleasing facial hair and first name.  Not solely, anyway.  Or at least I should have found someone with more than a village to their name.  Maybe he was polite yet respectful and that was a welcome change from the typical "A wo-man?  On MY battlefield?".

Regardless, the relationship soon grew rocky.  He seemed content to putter about his precious "holding" week after week, sometimes going on a lovely excursion to pillage an enemy village.  Something I did *not* care for, not that we saw each other often.  Awkward pleasantries and sidelong glances as we rode with the marshal.  Barely-hidden jealousy when I received my first Nord castle, then another two.  That's what happens when you grow a pair instead of bullying peasants!

Maybe I pushed too hard...  Well, nah.  But, one day I noticed that he wasn't with the marshal's warhost.  I don't know when he left exactly, he didn't bother to send a messenger.  Well, maybe it came while I was... celebrating... in my hard-won and awarded town of Suno.  But he was boyar no more.  The damn fool had left to become a Swadian "count", though can one truly be a count with no county at all?

For once I ignored the marshal's calls.  The Rhodoks would wait - I had Swadians to kill.  They were nearly crushed anyway, making his choice even more perplexing.  And maddening.  Their last town, Dhirim, was a bloody siege...  But I didn't even request it, merely continued the hunt.  One by one the castles fell.  Our marshal smelled blood and brought the warhost to help, but still I ignored his summons.

Finally, here I am outside Tilbaut castle.  Seventeen landless "counts" huddle inside.  Their king is here too, oh yes, strapped unceremoniously to the back of my steppe charger.  I demand an audience with the traitor, the first time we'll have talked in over a month. 
Or ever, in a way.

"Yes, my poppet?"
Yep.  This is it.  I'm going to kill him.  I'll FIND a way, dammit!

Oh...  Really?
... Let's just get you home.
Someone claimed your village, we're going to my place.  It's for the best, really.
She/they

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: April 01, 2015, 10:45:33 pm »

Aren't the Rhodoks supposed to be the guys who can break a Swadian charge or whatever? I'm getting my ass beat by a party half my size of comparable training. Should I not be holding my ground? How do I deal with the invincible cavalry?

They are supposed to stop charges, but in reality Warband spear AI is kind of awful so spearmen without their amazing rhodok board shields can manage to poke the horsies with their spear, then get decapitated by the raging Swadian knight. Although their sergeants reliably have a board shield, one handed weapon, AND polearm which vastly improves their combat ability compared to their lower tier counterparts with just the polearm. Forming a shield wall with them with rhodok crossbows behind will manage to pepper or even shoot off men from their horses, softening them up so they do less damage when smashing into the shield line. Then the infantry will swarm the hapless knights and slaughter them.  This is the same tactic Nords use with their infantry, as having a thick enough line of infantry is enough to absorb the initial charge to then swarm the knights.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 310