Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656212 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3165 on: December 31, 2013, 10:08:57 pm »

Hi everybody. I started playing Brytenwalda a week or so ago, and it's great! The problem I'm having is that I don't know how to get good faction troops, as the peasants I hired tended to die, so my strategy was to trade until I could afford about 20 heavy mercenary infantry (milites/professional mercenaries), then sign up as a mercenary for a faction, then become a vassal when the ruler liked me enough. I've been told that even in Native you could get better troops from villages by doing quests to get them to like you, but I've never bothered with that. Is it true?

Just do my strategy. Borrow cash from every single town. You never have to give it back for some reason. Pick a village that you like and that isn't raided often. Donate said cash to Village Elder until relation is 100. Now you can recruit a few dozen of tier 2 troops each time for a cheap price. Don't worry if they die, pillage for loot until they die. Rinse and repeat.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: December 31, 2013, 10:11:35 pm »

Does Brytenwalda have industries? A way I tend to make a small amount of income early on is to go around buying industries in all the cities. If it does you talk to the guild leader in the city about buying land
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: January 01, 2014, 05:45:54 am »

Does Brytenwalda have industries? A way I tend to make a small amount of income early on is to go around buying industries in all the cities. If it does you talk to the guild leader in the city about buying land

I think it's stock in warband so every warband mod should have industries.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: January 01, 2014, 04:02:13 pm »

I think it's stock in warband so every warband mod should have industries.

Some mods change the price of industries to make them ten times as much as in native.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3169 on: January 01, 2014, 04:04:54 pm »

That's just absurd- 3.84 years for a silk works to make back a profit. If their value was dubious before, it'd be more than obviously useless then.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: January 02, 2014, 04:46:22 am »

That's just absurd- 3.84 years for a silk works to make back a profit. If their value was dubious before, it'd be more than obviously useless then.
The thing about industries is that they vary based on city and other stuff, though some are generally just plain useless. The real value of industries has never been profit, though, it's having a steady income to pay wages rather than always worrying about having just the right amount.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: January 02, 2014, 07:14:41 am »

still, 4 years is way too much. unless the increase in price is matched by a rebalance of the economy.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3172 on: January 02, 2014, 01:21:56 pm »

Yeah, if it still only pays back ~500/week, if you *only* play for 700 days you've basically thrown away 50 grand. The benefits are an illusion! AN ILLUSION I SAY!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: January 02, 2014, 01:34:10 pm »

What else are you going to do with the money? Buy one helmet that gives you +2 more armour over your current helmet?

It's not like you can actually save the money and if you get captured, you lose a lot of it.

What you're doing with industries is buying an annuity. You pay an upfront cost to gain stable income over a fixed period, though in this case the period is perpetuity. As others mentioned, it's really nice to help pay off army expenses and maintain your income stream in case anything happens.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: January 02, 2014, 01:52:30 pm »

The benefits are peace of mind come payment week, and the ability to not give a shit if you go down to your last penny.

If you are able to budget yourself, then no, it's not really worth it, going by the pure numbers.

I just look at it like this: Money is fleeting, income is forever.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: January 02, 2014, 01:54:33 pm »

Retirement fund.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3176 on: January 02, 2014, 01:59:50 pm »

What else are you going to do with the money? Buy one helmet that gives you +2 more armour over your current helmet?

Are you really attacking swanky helmets? Have we fallen so low?
Badges of honor

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: January 02, 2014, 02:04:01 pm »

Are you really attacking swanky helmets? Have we fallen so low?
Every leader needs enough swag to have his soldiers follow him. Too little swag and they will desert.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: January 02, 2014, 02:13:03 pm »

It is a well known fact that having swag increases troop morale and their killing ability ten fold. 

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: January 02, 2014, 04:20:11 pm »

since I bought that fancy winged helmet, my troops started killing 20% more enemies.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 310