Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657100 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2265 on: May 18, 2012, 12:43:03 am »

Really the Khergits are an innacurate depiction of Mongols. They weren't the absolute only ones with horse archers, and they most certainly didn't only employ cavalry. In fact, they Vagiers probably would have horse archers as well, if they're supposed to be slavic.
Yeah. The game, just like any other, is just a representation of extremes. We really shouldn't be trying to justify balance decisions based on "that's how it was in history!"

To quote some random person:
"3.  Anyone who uses the word “history” in a comparably definitive way.

This is similar to point one, but in an even more arrogant manner. The person critiquing your work is unlikely to be aware of history’s entire archive of the genre or medium being discussed. If he’s wielding the kind of delusions needed to confidently say something this encompassing, he’s a bad critic."

If the Khergits were to be a historically accurate representation of Mongols, I would have at least expected rocket artillery, fire-projecting mangonels, millions of slaves, and a copious amount of raping and pillaging. And the bubonic plague.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: May 18, 2012, 12:55:44 am »

Also a rather forward-thinking system of political organization, intergration of conquered lands, so on and so forth. You're never going to accurately represent any historical entity, and past a certain point attempting to do so is rather pointless. Historical nations and their fictional parallels tend to be portrayed as Lands of Hats because there is a scale between "Here are some basic concepts to use as the basis for this set of mechanics and stats" and "Here is a completely accurate representation of this entity-sadly, this game is no longer playable and the entire budget has been spent on research", and the latter really isn't a viable option for this medium.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: May 18, 2012, 02:34:55 am »

Let's say that there is a good reason why I always do my raiding in Vaegir territory.

Ah, that brings me back to an old character of mine, Lo'mav.  At first I tried to make him a knight, that failed, so I turned to one-man banditry.  After advancing several levels, and getting his two-handed skill up to the 200s, he was strong enough to take on villages by himself.  I gave him a War Cleaver, The strongest armor and helmet I could find, and boom, clubs, knives and stones were useless against him, unless he was completely surrounded.

I used my little Juggernaut to attack so many Vaegir villages, so many times.  They absolutely hated me, the Vaegirs, but since I was always alone, I could outrun any army they sent at me. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: May 18, 2012, 06:29:37 am »

Really the Khergits are an innacurate depiction of Mongols. They weren't the absolute only ones with horse archers, and they most certainly didn't only employ cavalry. In fact, they Vagiers probably would have horse archers as well, if they're supposed to be slavic.
I think they done it willingly. Each faction has to have an extreme difference from others to be different and each faction suits a different playing strategy. I mean, nords are unaware of the existance of horses or something?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: May 18, 2012, 07:21:25 am »

I think they done it willingly. Each faction has to have an extreme difference from others to be different and each faction suits a different playing strategy. I mean, nords are unaware of the existance of horses or something?

I'm not sure if they went to the extremes.
Kheregits - Everyone has a horse. Extreme.
Nords - A bunch of vikings. Great Footmen Bad archers No cavalary. Extreme.
Those two are the only ones that went to being extreme the rest however...
Vagiers have knights rivaling Swadians and by far the best shooters in the game.
Swadians have their knights.
Rhodoks... what do Rhodoks have anyway? Spears?
Sarranids... good archers... i guess.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: May 18, 2012, 07:24:34 am »

Vagiers in no way have horsemen that rival the Swadians. We just discussed the strengths of each faction like eight posts ago...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:26:39 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: May 18, 2012, 07:48:12 am »

Vagiers in no way have horsemen that rival the Swadians. We just discussed the strengths of each faction like eight posts ago...

They use 2 handed weapons and have faster horses and unlike lances their berdiches can be used after their horse gets KOd.

It's the same thing as with Rhodoks and Nords. One has more defense while the other hits harder.
Self promotion below.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: May 18, 2012, 07:53:22 am »

Rhodoks are damn tanks. Once my hero got an army full of max-level Rhodok troops, it became almost impossible to lose any. I only ever lose a troop if I autoresolve or if I siege a castle now.
I'd imagine if I threw myself at a king or a gathered army, I'd lose a few. :P

Though, I once lost a Sergeant to a looter, of all things...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: May 18, 2012, 08:01:08 am »

They use 2 handed weapons and have faster horses and unlike lances their berdiches can be used after their horse gets KOd.

It's the same thing as with Rhodoks and Nords. One has more defense while the other hits harder.

Vagiers are only slightly faster than Rhodok horsemen because they have a lower riding skill. The Swedian horses are also much more armoured meaning they can do a full charge without losing much in the way of troops. Swedian knights also spawn with a sidearm which when coupled with their shield and armour when dismounted are a hell of a lot more deadly than theVagiers crappy pole axe.
Berdiches are also classed as "unbalanced" in the game so they swing slow and unwieldly on horseback. Plus the AI seems to be able to use lances so much better than two handed weapons on horseback.

That said when used correctly they're not bad. It's just that the Vagiers have such an odd match of strength, archers and light horsemen, it's hard to use them in any decent form of combined arms.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:09:08 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: May 18, 2012, 08:44:17 am »

Swadian knights often have a Morningstar as a sidearm and from my experience with them morningstars are pretty much crap.

And since knights usually just zoom by get a hit in and run away for another pass their weapon being unbalanced usually don't change a lot. Besides berdiches get a bonus against shields and warband AI is actually quite good at using weapons other than lancess. I also love poleaxes (every single one of my characters has one or both) so i'm a bit biased towards them.
Self promotion below.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: May 18, 2012, 08:51:26 am »

I'm not sure if they went to the extremes.
Kheregits - Everyone has a horse. Extreme.
Nords - A bunch of vikings. Great Footmen Bad archers No cavalary. Extreme.
Those two are the only ones that went to being extreme the rest however...
Vagiers have knights rivaling Swadians and by far the best shooters in the game.
Swadians have their knights.
Rhodoks... what do Rhodoks have anyway? Spears?
Sarranids... good archers... i guess.

Eh, it's still a bit extreme. That's why it suits different to every player. Also, that's why that trainer what's-his-face NPC says a perfect army can be achieved if the commander uses different soldiers from each culture. Try doing what that guy said, it works.

We used to only have Swadians and Veagirs. It was just Heavy armor vs Light armor and Bow vs Crossbow.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 18, 2012, 10:52:11 am »

Rhodoks have good crossbowmen. This is shown when you compare Swadian sharpshooters and Rhodok sharpshooters -- they're the same, even their armor is just a different color, but the Rhodok version has 20 more points in crossbows, a good bundle of points in melee skills like power strike, 20 points in strength... Oh, and they have board shields. I'm not sure if the Swadian version even has a melee weapon.

Rhodok sergeants are scary as hell, too. Forget Vaegir knights, Rhodok sergeants will almost match huscarls in deadliness.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: May 18, 2012, 03:23:54 pm »

I'm back playing this game and having fun, even though I'm being a pansy (read: default difficulty, and exit without saving when I get screwed over). At least I'm trying to lead the Nords to victory... that's got to account for something, right? :P

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 18, 2012, 06:11:48 pm »

I generally just solving my problems by having a fuckjillion Huscarls and standing them all atop a hill in a line.

Swadian Knights charge in, get stuck, get hacked to death. Rhodoks, back up over the crest of the hill, advance ten paces when enemies are arriving to release the axe volleys before they close. Khergits...

Fuck Khergits.

Fuck them.

It takes a million years to chase them down even if I don't lose anyone.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 310