Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655920 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #870 on: November 18, 2010, 10:28:11 am »

I don't know. To be honest, I think it's 4.0 or something. I haven't been on the M&B mod page for what seems like years.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 18, 2010, 10:36:36 am »

Perhaps you ought to rectify that.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 18, 2010, 02:28:30 pm »

It's not like it really matters. I'll just use a secret trade route that I have with Wercheg. (That is : Collect loot from enemy, stay as close to shore as possible while going Wercheg) The Nords can be usefull.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 18, 2010, 04:45:52 pm »

Hang on, wasn't the point of buying mount and blade early was because you'd get all the later versions for free, or am i thinking of another game
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 18, 2010, 04:53:38 pm »

Hang on, wasn't the point of buying mount and blade early was because you'd get all the later versions for free, or am i thinking of another game

The point was that you'd get the final product at a lower price. Then they came along and released Warband, which, honestly, just feels like a patch or at most an expansion, and I wasn't happy since it felt like my trust had been violated since I did purchase early, but hey, it happens and I ended up getting Warband on steam a bit later for a decent price, so I think all in all, I'm only out about 40 dollars for both versions. Not too unreasonable.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 18, 2010, 04:58:28 pm »

Probably a better spent $40 than a lot of $50 games out there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 18, 2010, 05:31:42 pm »

Probably a better spent $40 than a lot of $50 games out there.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 18, 2010, 07:08:21 pm »

Certainly much better than the $60 black ops.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 18, 2010, 11:32:18 pm »

As a self imposed challenge, in my current game i decided to play as infantry, so i sold my horse immediately and joined the Nord.

I forgot to lower a bit the Campaign AI level from my previous game for which to test i set it to the highest, so it means currently that Swadia the Nords are at war with have their nobles using tons of knights, while yourself are subject to normal training.

And that's how you understand how really powerfull horsemen charges can be in that game, when you're on foot with half a hundred of nords warriors, and you have 20 knights charging you.
Even having ordered your troops to move closer to each other, you're going to suffer (especially if you have set the ally and yourself damage to normal, by default those settings are made to give you a big reduction in the damage you recieve).

But how much fun and impressive being the target of a cavalry charge while you're infantry can be :D

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 19, 2010, 02:45:25 am »

The footman experience can be quite fun.
You could restrict yourself from using shields, as long as you're not being focused by a lot of (cross)bows.

Dismouting knights with a two-handed hammer is fun.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 19, 2010, 12:49:22 pm »

I've tried a few footman characters. Usually they end up going down quickly to sustained archers or even just a few horsemen. Plus, it's harder to catch enemies on the world map. Still, I'd like to try it one day and have it be viable. I just need more practice with ground combat. I've never fought ground outside of tournaments or arenas or the special situations you get into.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 19, 2010, 01:23:17 pm »

I like fighting on the ground way more than on a horse. My only issue is that it's really hard to give proper orders while on foot.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 19, 2010, 01:30:51 pm »

I like fighting on the ground way more than on a horse. My only issue is that it's really hard to give proper orders while on foot.

Even with the backspace command menu?

I feel like the horses just make you so much more powerful. You have so many more options that you don't have on foot. Yesterday came upon a group of 14 deserter archers and I was completely alone. i knew I'd never get close for an actual hit without being hit myself and my attack interrupted. So, I circled with my horse, holding up my shield the whole time. It was close, my horse only had a few hitpoints left, my shield had broken, and I was down to about half of my normal health. Still, they did run out of arrows and started charging me with swords. That's when I took out my crossbow and one by one picked them off as I stayed well out of range on my horse.

I know this is probably a common tactic, but it's just an example of something you couldn't really do on foot. On foot, you'd have roughly as long as your shield lasts, and then you'd be full of holes.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:49:54 pm by sluissa »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 19, 2010, 01:51:00 pm »

Yeah, I don't like it at all, mainly because it doesn't show the terrain (as far as I can remember) and that's one of the most important things.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 20, 2010, 02:45:42 pm »

only 14 archers? Why not just grab a pole arm or long sword and run straight into them?

Works for me.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 310