Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655775 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #810 on: November 15, 2010, 05:18:11 pm »

Smaller armies are usually faster then larger ones. You should be able to outrun them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 15, 2010, 05:23:12 pm »

Smaller armies are usually faster then larger ones. You should be able to outrun them.

Yeah. It's usually more a case of me not seeing them until it's too late. Or getting cut off by two armies. Like I said, I'm getting better about not getting caught.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 15, 2010, 05:28:14 pm »

O, then look in taverns for an ally called Deshavi, she has good tracking skills which will allow you to see farther and move faster.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 15, 2010, 05:29:10 pm »

I'm sad that I was really good at the original M&B, but I suck in Warband. Attacks have a delay between when you release the mouse button, and when you actually swing the sword. I can never get the timing right anymore.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 15, 2010, 06:48:16 pm »

On the world map, you can press space to stop your party. ctrl+space speeds up time. Makes traveling much faster, but keep in mind that everything speeds up, not just you. Very easy to get ambushed.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 15, 2010, 08:21:50 pm »

I'm about to try Brytenwalda for warband. It looks promising.
Just tried it for the past... I dunno, 2 hours maybe?

I really like it. I recommend it for any warband owner. Main changes I liked:

-Weapons/armor fit the time period/region. Swords are rare, big swords even rarer.
-The map of britain is huge and really full of cities, villages, fortifications
-Ships & pirates YAR
-Battle formations
-Holy fuck the AI is hard. Not only battle ai is hard, but military units use formations, camp, etc.
-Arrows are indeed deadly because they seem to be using realistic speeds, don't expect to survive more than one or two without armor.
-Neat city/village/arena maps.
-You can kill christians just because they are christians>.> (or convert yourself and do the same to pagans)
-Lots of economic options, own land, business, things like that.
-Lots and I mean lots of factions and bandit types.
-Tourney rewards, such as armors, weapons, arrows, etc.
-Looting options, bury/burn your enemies, tend the wounded, or leave the corpses for the vultures.
-Bad Engrish (Not a plus, but... yeah, you will see)
-Hos to enhance your party morale.
-Two different shouts, one to scare your enemies, the other to boost your pasty morale and reroute them.
-Friendly villages/castles/cities will assist you in nearby battles.

And more that I cannot remember right now.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:31:33 pm by Soulwynd »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 15, 2010, 09:05:24 pm »

I'm about to try Brytenwalda for warband. It looks promising.
Just tried it for the past... I dunno, 2 hours maybe?

I really like it. I recommend it for any warband owner. Main changes I liked:

-Weapons/armor fit the time period/region. Swords are rare, big swords even rarer.
-The map of britain is huge and really full of cities, villages, fortifications
-Ships & pirates YAR
-Battle formations
-Holy fuck the AI is hard. Not only battle ai is hard, but military units use formations, camp, etc.
-Arrows are indeed deadly because they seem to be using realistic speeds, don't expect to survive more than one or two without armor.
-Neat city/village/arena maps.
-You can kill christians just because they are christians>.> (or convert yourself and do the same to pagans)
-Lots of economic options, own land, business, things like that.
-Lots and I mean lots of factions and bandit types.
-Tourney rewards, such as armors, weapons, arrows, etc.
-Looting options, bury/burn your enemies, tend the wounded, or leave the corpses for the vultures.
-Bad Engrish (Not a plus, but... yeah, you will see)
-Hos to enhance your party morale.
-Two different shouts, one to scare your enemies, the other to boost your pasty morale and reroute them.
-Friendly villages/castles/cities will assist you in nearby battles.

And more that I cannot remember right now.
Your summary of this mod caused me to flail my arms in excitement. Re-downloading warband and this mod.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 15, 2010, 09:20:01 pm »

Some more I forgot that are funky:

-Shield bashing (Haven't tried yet)
-Realistic after match wounds (I leave it off, your army tends to die a lot if you don't give them a break)
-Crappy weapons will -break- while blocking/attacking. So don't expect to horse charge with a bent spear more than 10 times.
-Troops have random equipment (that becomes less random as they become more elite)
-Tell your troops to wield specific weapons with a single key, blunt, two handed, ranged, one handed, etc.
-Skirmish mode, tell your troops to move away from the enemy whenever they charge (good thing to order your archers to do)
-Build fortifications

And more I'm sure I will remember later.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 16, 2010, 12:07:38 am »

ctrl+space speeds up time.

I didn't know that, I'll have to try it out. Wouldn't you stop as soon as you hit spacebar though?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 16, 2010, 12:18:33 am »

ctrl+space speeds up time.

I didn't know that, I'll have to try it out. Wouldn't you stop as soon as you hit spacebar though?
It seems too good to be true. All the accumulated hours I probably wasted traveling the map...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 16, 2010, 12:41:53 am »

Thanks for the description Soulwynd.  I was ignoring the mod figuring it was just regular M&B with a new map and crappier equipment, but this sounds quite good.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 16, 2010, 01:00:39 am »

Thanks for the description Soulwynd.  I was ignoring the mod figuring it was just regular M&B with a new map and crappier equipment, but this sounds quite good.
I was pleasantly surprised as well. So far all warband mods have been as you described.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 16, 2010, 01:44:50 am »

I gave the aforementioned mod a spin.

First experience? "LOADING. LOADING. OH LORD MORE LOADING OH HEY FINALLY THE MAIN MENU, AND OH CRAP I'VE GOT SOMETHING ON REPEAT LET ME ALT-TAB OUT REAL QUICK TO STOP IT AHA THAT'S DONE. WAIT WHY WON'T IT LET ME TAB BACK IN. GODDOMOT, RESTART"

"OKAY I'M AT THE MENU AGAIN, TIME TO SELECT THE NEW GAME THING. IT IS NOT A GOOD SIGN WHEN THE SCREEN ITSELF TELLS ME TO WAIT FOR AT LEAST THREE MINUTES 'PLEASED'. LOADING. LOADING. EVEN MORE LOADING. OKAY DONE LIKE FOUR MINUTES LATER, FINALLY. HUH THIS NEW BACKGROUND THING IS PRETTY NEAT. OH, OKAY, SO THAT'S WHY TALEWORLDS HAD ALL THE FLUFF BITS FOR YOUR CHOICES SHOWN PIECE BY PIECE INSTEAD OF ALL AT ONCE BECAUSE THIS IS A BIT OF A MESS. THE SLIDERS FOR BACKGROUND CHOICES ARE PRETTY NEAT THOUGH I'LL GIVE THEM THAT."

After my guy, Overbeck, the Anglo-Saxon spearman dude, had been created, I set sail for some 'Angle' town. Immediately, as is grand tradition with Warband, I'm set upon by a dude as I arrive. My reaction follows as such.

"OH WHAT THE HELL WHY DO I HAVE NO WEAPONS OH OJKSDJAKLJ::FLJ MY SKULL IS BEING STABBED IN BY THIS RANDOM MUGGER"

Afterwards, checking inventory, "OH OKAY I ONLY HAVE JAVELINS THAT I CAN'T ACTUALLY WIELD BECAUSE I HAVE NO POWER-THROW POINTS THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING, GREAT"

Bought a spear, went into the tavern, chatted with the keeper of the place, and got a bounty hunt from him. Go to the village he's hiding in, find him and "WHO ARE YOU? ARE YOU FROM THE FBI?!!?!?!?!?"

I know that that feature was from a different mod entirely, but come on, guys! At least change the dialogue to make sure it fits. That historical anachronism aside, my ass promptly got kicked by this professional soldier because my guy's weapon stats are all below 70 and I fail the quest. At this point I reload multiple times, failing every attempt to bring him in, so I just give up and go roaming about the land in search of jobs. And then I get caught by a 19-man strong group of bandits while I'm on my own, which is around the point I go "TO HELL WITH THIS" and cheat like the little bitch I am, knocking them all out and hauling their asses off to the nearest broker.

The music is good, at least, although the fact that one of the first songs I got was apparently taken from a live version of it that ended with clapping and the performer saying the equivalent of "THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT" in a language I could not understand was a bit jarring.

Shading on some of the weapons doesn't exactly seem finished either, what with the spear I had looking as though it was gold-painted ALL THE TIME. I was getting too frustrated to spend much time going around finding some other stuff, so it's probably not representative of the new items as a whole, but it's not helping.

I'll need to spend more time with it to give out a proper judgement, but my opening experience with it was a bit sour. I'm still intrigued by it, though, and I do genuinely want to like it. It just doesn't like me back so far.

Also, wow, I really went on there, didn't I.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 16, 2010, 01:58:31 am »

Tone down the difficulty a bit, I'd say.
Also, you can use Javelins in melee in warband, just press X and they switch mode. The game is actually quite well styled, though the FBI thing is an immersion breaker. They've gone so far as to actually change the poems to appropriate real poem and such. I think they did a very good job in terms of flavor like that.
Overall, I LOVE this mod. There are some things which I don't get, like how to tell which realms are christian and which one aren't. The first thing I did was walk into a castle and insult the abbot standing there, which made me kill on sight to the realm..

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 16, 2010, 02:08:11 am »

Tone down the difficulty a bit, I'd say.
Also, you can use Javelins in melee in warband, just press X and they switch mode. The game is actually quite well styled, though the FBI thing is an immersion breaker. They've gone so far as to actually change the poems to appropriate real poem and such. I think they did a very good job in terms of flavor like that.
Overall, I LOVE this mod. There are some things which I don't get, like how to tell which realms are christian and which one aren't. The first thing I did was walk into a castle and insult the abbot standing there, which made me kill on sight to the realm..

I play with Good AI, maxed out battlesizer and full damage, and combat speed at Normal, and I never had problems with that in Native, where I have a jolly good time of it. The problem with the opening mugger was that I couldn't equip those javelins in the first place since I didn't have any points in power throw, which means that they were also unavailable for regular stabbin' purposes. I realize in hindsight that I could have just kicked the dude to sleep instead of pounding on him ineffectually with my fists, but it didn't occur to me at that time.

Also, that "HEY, YOU, HOLY MAN. KISS MY ASS." making the whole realm hate you is hilarious.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 310