Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657383 times)

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2820 on: February 15, 2013, 05:07:32 pm »

So... I've worked for Ravenstern for a while... built up high relations with more people... have over 80 right to rule and honor... but now I'm realizing that you can't renounce your oath without giving up all your fiefs!  I'm tempted to empty the garrisons for all the castles/towns I own, renounce, and then capture them all effortlessly.  But I would have a hell of a time trying to defend them while I rebuild the garrisons.  Not sure what to do.

Now, see, what you've gotta do there is capture more territory for Ravenstern and keep asking for it to be awarded to you. When the king inevitably tells you no, you can rebel AND keep all your fiefs.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:06 pm »

So... I've worked for Ravenstern for a while... built up high relations with more people... have over 80 right to rule and honor... but now I'm realizing that you can't renounce your oath without giving up all your fiefs!  I'm tempted to empty the garrisons for all the castles/towns I own, renounce, and then capture them all effortlessly.  But I would have a hell of a time trying to defend them while I rebuild the garrisons.  Not sure what to do.

Now, see, what you've gotta do there is capture more territory for Ravenstern and keep asking for it to be awarded to you. When the king inevitably tells you no, you can rebel AND keep all your fiefs.

Ok, good to know :D

I hadn't tried that yet, and wasn't sure if it worked that way.  I've never played this far into the game before.  I have one city, two castles, and three villages.  Only problem is they're rather spread out.  I need to do something soon, because Ravenstern is getting huge.  Don't want them to be impossible to fight when I go independent again.

I suppose that even using that method, I'll lose a village if it's attached to a castle that I don't own :(
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: February 15, 2013, 10:00:31 pm »

Chiming in on shields and sieges... I've never been able to go about my business contently without having a nice, thick wall of life insurance on my back to pull out when things get fuzzy or even just protect my behind. Typically, I play a Khergit-centric character that favors one-handed polearms and the short bow. Extra arrows would be nice, but after so much leveling, I find that it is generally more efficient to invest in a warhorse and skewer/trample my foes. Vaegirs and Sarranids are especially satisfying targets when you can catch them outside of their fancy castles.

As for melee, I tend to switch between polearms and two-handers. The former are great for keep distance and can be versatile (especially on siege lines) but tend to be utter crap when the AI realizes it can "click" attack infinitely faster than the player and decides to rush you. For those occasions, I prefer a hefty War Cleaver. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: February 16, 2013, 12:06:22 am »

For large (1000+ men) sieges, I normally have a good bow and two slots of ammo along with a good claymore. The kind you can switch between one handed and two handed.

Mostly just to act cool really. But what I normally do is ask all my heavy footmen to stand in front with shields drawn. Get them to absorb as much arrows as possible (which is generally a massive amount) while my own archers and myself stand behind them and shoot down as many enemies as possible. After awhile of this I ask the shield guys to march up the ladders first. Then I follow behind. Then I get the two handers and knights behind me and keep the archers below providing covering fire. When we get close to the top, I either kick my men off the ladder or jump over their heads so I can get immediately behind all the enemies.

Following this, the AI will all turn around and try and kill me, at which point I run around or something and get them to chase me. The two handers and knights behind me will cleave their way through them from the rear while the AI derps with me. Once there's enough room cleared out. I call the archers up and station them alongside walls overlooking the enemy spawn points and after that it's mostly just cleaning house.

This is all nigh impossible with unmodded games though and Floris has a slightly better system than Pendor. Pendor is still good though.

Though for smaller sieges I just ask everyone to charge. It's the ones with neverending reinforcements that require this kind of finesse.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: February 16, 2013, 12:31:00 am »

Depends on what weapons the mounted units have.  I wouldn't send lancers on foot into a siege.

Did you know that when you send the Lance units, or rather units that can have a lance, into a siege they generate with different weapons?

Yeah they won't spawn with Lances and will have sword and shields or Maces and shields.

Yeah... Mounteds are a little powerful.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: February 16, 2013, 03:09:48 am »

Lancers pretty much always spawn with a backup weapon, even in field battles, most units have at least 2 weapons.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: February 16, 2013, 03:27:00 am »

Might just be something unique to Prophesy of Pendor that I saw someone mention, then.  Hero Adventurers spawn with a random weapon in every battle, and supposedly they will sometimes take a lance to a siege and try to use it.

I still wouldn't use high value mounted units as fodder to push the ladder.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: February 16, 2013, 04:15:49 am »

Ahhh, pendor, yeah, ive seen that too, though 90% of you adventurers will still have a 1h and a shield, so they still kick alot of ass, that said, my order for ladder storming is always infantry, cavalry, archers.  I think of cavalry as medium infantry if they are unhorsed.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: February 16, 2013, 04:50:09 am »

About the sieges, i weakly remember in Native there's a specific castle, i think it's in the Rhodoks territory but close to the Sarranids, that is an impressive death trap.

There's no ladder or siege tower, the entrance is through a hole in the wall.
And it's where your troops will be slaughtered if you don't have enough archers/crossbowmen in your side :
once you go through the hole, you're in a large open space surrounded by walls, with one stair at some distance, the only stair, and the only way to go deeper into the castle to continue fighting.
And on the walls surrounding this empty space you have lots of crossbowmen/archers dealing death from above.

The castle/walls access stairs are not close and you have to cross this large open space while arrows/bolts are raining on you from the 4 walls surrounding you (so if you have no archers/crossbowmen to fight back, say goodbye to your troops)

But after heavy casualties if you manage to conquer it and get awarded with its ownership, oh the fun of applying the same death trap to the AI that will come to besiege you :D

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: February 16, 2013, 06:06:13 am »

Consequently, Rhodok armies are well equipped for that hellhole.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: February 16, 2013, 12:38:56 pm »

Almerra? At least, that's what is sounds like in the original M&B. I hate that castle.
Trying to hold back and try shoot them with ranged troops doesn't work because A) Rhodoks have big, high-HP shields, and B), they shoot you in the back. Charging right up doesn't work either, because A) dozens of spears to the face, and B), they shoot you in the back.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: February 16, 2013, 12:59:32 pm »

So a massive force of 1500 Sarleon came to take Avendor from me.  Ravenstern came to help, but there was a demon army in the way.  I helped them take down the 900 strong demon army.  Then we took on the 1500 Sarleons.  It was a vicious battle and I lost many high value troops.  But because I got knocked out and had to do much of it auto, we got tons of captives.  Because we were right outside Avendor, I guess everybody just dumped there captives there.  I made almost 100k selling them all.  Went and bought myself the best Noldor horse.  I wasn't prepared for how fast 52 speed is.  That horse is awesome.

Bounced back and took Marleons.  Renounced my oath when it wasn't given to me.  Now I am once again King of Pendor with 2 cities, 2 castles, and several villages.  But no vassals yet.  Ravenstern is trying to take their lands back from me, but I've been holding them off single-handedly.  One random lifesaver was a Jatu mercenary company of about 100 troops offering to work for me for 10k.  I can field 200 troops now.  Been whittling down Ravenstern.  They have one last big force riding towards Avendor now.  If I can defeat it, I bet they'll back off for a while.  Maybe I'll be able to recruit some friends.  Also about to buy an amazing 1/2 hand Noldor sword from Quigfen, which will be the only melee weapon I ever need.  Then I only need to save up about 200K and 4 more strength to get the best Noldor armor, and I'll be truly monstrous.  That's going to be a while, but it will be so sweet.

Well shit.  King Gregory has about 150 knights with him...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:13:47 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: February 16, 2013, 01:22:44 pm »

I kinda feel that my progress in PoP stopped so i would like some suggestions.
I'm playing an Int char and can currently field 90~ troops, mostly rangers and Saerlon halberdiers but recently recruited adventurers. Mercenary status, but considering joining Ravenstern.
To progress I think i need gems, but to get that i need to whittle the special armies down by pulling lots of lords on them. managed to do that to Eyegrim before i read that he can't be captured so no gem.
To befriend the noldor I would need to beat a 280 strong army, which steamrolls me.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: February 16, 2013, 01:36:31 pm »

About the sieges, i weakly remember in Native there's a specific castle, i think it's in the Rhodoks territory but close to the Sarranids, that is an impressive death trap.

There's no ladder or siege tower, the entrance is through a hole in the wall.
And it's where your troops will be slaughtered if you don't have enough archers/crossbowmen in your side :
once you go through the hole, you're in a large open space surrounded by walls, with one stair at some distance, the only stair, and the only way to go deeper into the castle to continue fighting.
And on the walls surrounding this empty space you have lots of crossbowmen/archers dealing death from above.

The castle/walls access stairs are not close and you have to cross this large open space while arrows/bolts are raining on you from the 4 walls surrounding you (so if you have no archers/crossbowmen to fight back, say goodbye to your troops)

But after heavy casualties if you manage to conquer it and get awarded with its ownership, oh the fun of applying the same death trap to the AI that will come to besiege you :D

Sounds like Almerra castle. That place is indeed madness. Humorous though, when you go to retake it as Rhodoks from a bunch of the Sultan's boys. God, they pretty much exist to be cut like hay and build your confidence against Swadia. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: February 16, 2013, 02:20:11 pm »

Screw everyone, Nords are the best when supported by a few Khergits. Armour doesn't matter when you're doing upwards of 50 damage a swing.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 310