Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ridiculous Mechanical Artifacts  (Read 882 times)

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Ridiculous Mechanical Artifacts
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:06:11 pm »

I recall reading this story and it mentioned a mechanical prosthetic limb and I thought that this was absolutely incredible. Wouldn't it be great to make all possessed mechanic inventions remind you why you built a mechanic's workshop in the first place?

Examples:

Bolt Thrower
Description: A weapon that utilizes the Lorentz force to accelerate metallic ammunition.

Ever-spinning Serrated Saw Disc
Description: A permanently-spinning circular saw-on-a-stick.

Philosopher's Centrifuge
Description: Gain Y metal/chemical substance inherent to the rock for every 100 crushed rocks.

Dirigible
Description: A blimp filled with * gas.
Maximum takeoff weight: xxx
Maximum speed: xxx

etc...

Thoughts? Ideas? Hate speech?
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous Mechanical Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:27:54 pm »

Well there are some "Device Artifacts" from my "Artifact Suggestions Redux" topic that should fit in nicely here.

-Gyro: When this device is held it spins at such speed that it becomes impossible for it not to right itself. The Holder becomes incapable of becoming prone for better or worse.
-Super Cooling: A Orb that projects a mysterious ray onto a creature. It appears unharmed but for every action it takes it gets colder and colder until they shatter.
-Ultra-vibrations: A large metallic staff with two prongs that when struck upon an object it creates violent sonic vibrations in the air. Creatures who experience these vibrations lose all sense of balance and suffer nausea. This is capable of knocking out weaker creatures.
-Cuffs: These odd restraints are woven in such a way that any failed attempt to break out of them causes them only to become tighter. This can continue until their hands are crushed into lumps of gore.
-Shock Absorber: This device is a thin plate that absorbs blows. It can then release the energy onto a target. If it however absorbs too much energy it may cause a spontaneous release creating a violent explosion.
Living Water: A being comprised entirely of water. You may send it towards an enemy to fill its lungs with water or you may drink from its being. It replenishes its mass everytime it passes by a stream.
-Infinite Complexity Device: An object containing infinitely complex machinery of such fine detail that it baffles the mind. So much so that those looking at the device risk pure insanity. Those who stave off insanity find a world of technical knowledge at their finger tips.
-Heatsink (SomGuye): This Object can infinitely absorb heat, and does not release any of its own. It must be set to absorb a specific amount of heat and can even freeze the area around it if it is set to maximum.
-Heater (SomGuye): This Object forces the ambient temperature to a number set by the holder. It can be set high enough to boil water or melt rocks but doesn’t offer the owner any protection.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:55:05 pm »

Could be how that power goal about crushing a rock with your mechanical hand is implemented? Either way, bionic Dwarves for the win.  I'm not sure how useful an ever-spinning serrated saw would be, really, anyone that went near it would probably be vivisected, Dwarves included.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:31:47 pm »

While i could see the devices mentioned by JohnieRwilkes, I wouldn't want to see most of the suggestions of Neonivek in my game, i believe that they are far to advanced in technology, unless they were fuelled with magic... Then still only some of them would fit.

I, on the other hand, would like to see steam engines and steam engine vehicles/creations... Imagine having adamantite Steampunk robots, or corkscrew tanks...

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:44:16 pm »

Dwarven Perpetual Motion Machine. It just goes faster, and faster, until eventually, the dwarfs need to destroy it at the expense of the creator, lest it bounce around and cause thermonuclear apocalypse.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.