Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designate: Megaproject  (Read 820 times)

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designate: Megaproject
« on: February 04, 2010, 07:55:03 am »

If you're making a megaproject, say for instance a 20 z-level tall tower built out of obsidian walls, you should be able to designate the wall constructions as a 'megaproject', which mason dwarves have priority in finishing.  Rather than making other walls, they'll focus on making your Armok-impaling tower.  Then, once they're done, Dwarves get a really happy thought, similar on scale to finishing an artifact since.. well, that's what a megaproject is really, a gigantic artifact.   Just thought it would be cool for Dwarves to be happy after making something really gigantic and awesome, there would have to be size limits for a megaproject to be designated or make happiness proportional to the size, to stop people from being able to farm it to stop tantrums.  The designating thing is just so the game knows what is and is not a megaproject.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designate: Megaproject
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:27:17 am »

Megaprojects aren't really an official part of the game. They're what the players came up with to pass the time in between goblin seiges and game updates.

It WOULD be really nice to have a way to designate the importance of getting something built beyond the 'first in, last out' build queue though.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:41:45 pm »

I don't think that megaproject deignations should get a happy thought, or rather they shouldn't get a larger happy thought than normal otherwise hundreds of 1 tile megaprojects could become the norm in regards to keeping morale up.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 01:01:38 pm »

I assume with the new burrow system you could assign some masons to work exclusively on your megaprojects.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:12:24 pm »

Megaprojects aren't really an official part of the game. They're what the players came up with to pass the time in between goblin seiges and game updates.

They should be though.  At least in the sense that the game recognizes mammoth sized constructions in some way.  Right now building a 40 z level high tower using 40,000 blocks means...

You built 40,000 wall segments.

The game should have a way of either recognizing the structure as important or allow the player the ability to tell the game that it is important, and on some level name it.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 04:39:37 pm »

I don't think that megaproject deignations should get a happy thought, or rather they shouldn't get a larger happy thought than normal otherwise hundreds of 1 tile megaprojects could become the norm in regards to keeping morale up.

I did mention this, there should be a limiting factor on how small the designations should be.  500 walls, minimum? Unless you build right on a stone stockpile, that will probably take longer than making your masons some nice things and engraving their rooms.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 08:01:30 pm »

Ypu already get a bonus: arcitectural welth.

I agree that you should be able to name a structure, but there are many things that need to come before that. Put it low on the bloat list.

What we need more, as mentioned, is a way to control priorities.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:37 pm »

A "Mark as priority" function would be very useful, yes.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:33:24 am »

Capntastic:   DoctorZ asks; 'Will the game be smart enough to determine that the building is shaped - like a tower or a pyramid - will it award you points for style? His example is a room with a pillar in it engraved, would it bump the quality up if you have a high ceiling with paintings and stuff on it; would that be interesting for the game, will it be able to determine those details?'

Toady:   I'd like to further point out that DoctorZ said that 'I'd love you forever if you asked/answered this question' so I think that that means Capntastic right now is loved forever. I still have to do my part to be loved forever, so I've got to answer the question. So the idea with this is that there have been a number of topics where people are like 'I want my tower to be recognised as the tower of something' or 'I want my pyramid to be recognised as the pyramid of something'. That pretty much would have to be user defined; you define an area, you give it a name, and you make sure that that system can't be gamed too much as far as bonuses and so on. But when it comes to smaller things like what you're talking about, a central pillar and things like that, the game can start to pick those out on its own. I don't have a lot of specific plans, but it would be worth discussing. Right now the system picks out engravings isolated, it picks out floor detailing isolated, it picks out the room size and so on, so it goes really just step by step through every tile but things like a central pillar ... it knows where the centre of a room is, it knows that a pillar doesn't have anything else touching it, so doing things like locating a central pillar would be trivial, it's just a matter of building up a list of things that dwarves care about and different groups could like different things; that would certainly be an interesting direction to explore.

Capntastic:   I just want to know if I'll be able to have an elf totem really tie a room together.

Toady:   I think anyone appreciates the skull when it's centrally placed, or a little higher up maybe, and you'd put some dye on the teeth, make them all red ... I don't know if they have sharp teeth, I haven't really thought about what an elf's teeth look like. Do they have sharp teeth, or do they just chew and chew and chew?