Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My first orc encounter...  (Read 1917 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first orc encounter...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 06:09:33 pm »

Orcs really aren't that bad in melee, you just need good armor, weapons, and training. I've faced them with iron-clad champions before without losses, it's only crossbows and bows you have to watch out for.

But some questions: What happens if the dwarves find my fortress unprofitable to send people to (not to mention deadly)?
Will the slaughter of caravans affect migration? My regular population is fine.
How do I get my dwarves to leave my FORBIDDEN graphite mug alone?
Why aren't the orcs scattering? Do I HAVE to kill the squad leaders, or just most of the siege?
 ???
Profit?
1. Then you won't get many migrants for a while.
2. The dwarves will base your current wealth on what they knew from the previous caravan. If this is your second caravan or so you're fine. If it's your first, expect to be stuck with the starting 7 for a while.
3. They should be already. The only time I've seen dwarves interact with a forbidden object is if they're already holding it before you forbid it, otherwise they should instantly switch to "NO JOB" until a task selects them.
4. Most of the siege. Orcs have [NOFEAR] which keeps them from running when the squad leader is killed, but normal losses will make them retreat. If you have magma, go ahead and use some cheap metals to make metal bolts. Orcinite steel will make up for the loss of a few bars of copper/cobalt/whatever.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 06:56:39 pm »

Actually, it's my second autumn. I spent the last in-game year or so getting a water system set up. I can't find magma, either, and if I remember from the embark screen it's far from my site (next to the UG river).
What if ONE wagon escapes? Will I get a normal amount of migrants? I'm talking about the whole death trap thing that turns migrants off to joining my fort.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 10:20:39 pm »

I always set forbid-items-on-death. I then go back after the battle is all done and everything is safe again and unforbid.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.
Pages: 1 [2]