Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My first orc encounter...  (Read 1919 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first orc encounter...
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:19 pm »

I was prepared in advance. I raised the drawbridge, and had my marksdwarf take potshots at the orcs who advanced (one squad stayed back). Then I ran out of bolts. I am now low on ammo, bones and wood, with an elite marksdwarf, a mostly dead caravan (free stuff!), and most of an Orc squad dead. Too bad the other squad is here now...
The liason went berserk, there's blood everywhere, I can't fight back, I have no magma, I have little food, no booze, a small 8X8 farm, I'm high in the mountains and can't get to soil easily (I'm trying to avoid the soul for everything but glassmaking, it makes things too easy), my dwarves keep dancing around in my archer tower because of a FELSITE MUG, and there's broken bolts littering the front entrance.
I love you, dig deeper.
But some questions: What happens if the dwarves find my fortress unprofitable to send people to (not to mention deadly)?
Will the slaughter of caravans affect migration? My regular population is fine.
How do I get my dwarves to leave my FORBIDDEN graphite mug alone?
Why aren't the orcs scattering? Do I HAVE to kill the squad leaders, or just most of the siege?
 ???
Profit?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first orc encounter...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:04:49 pm »

Orcs have [NOFEAR], right? They wont run away at all then, if I recall correctly. You have to kill them all. I suggested mandatory kitten purging for all dwarves, let the bodies rot for wonderful bolts. Kitten meat is edible, leather is good for arming recruits for a last-ditch charge, meat will solve your food problem and the fat can be processed into tallow, which can be cooked to help your food problem as well.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:15:57 pm »

My cats fell were either mysteriously struck down or fell into the chasm.
I have tons of dogs and horses, though. I'll try butchering those. I'm glad I brought a breeding pair...

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:18:29 pm »

I think orcs will run, it just takes a lot more to make them run away

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:35:16 pm »

Orcs certainly do run after enough mayhem.  If you, for instance, have one squad in a siege and they come for your delicious tasting dwarves and you kill about 3/4ths they scatter

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:24:53 am »

Are you sure they're going for the mug? If it's actually Forbidden, then no dwarf will even attempt to interact with it, and any dwarves that were going after it at the time of forbidding would instantly cancel their job. They have to be trying to go for something else outside, so look around.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 12:44:48 am »

Yes, people don't seem to understand you can forbid items to prevent the civilian calvary brigade. If only you could forbid live creatures
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 02:47:29 am »

Build a really long corridor covered in support traps that gets out very far from your main entrance.

Build a raising bridge over a one tile channel on your side of the corridor.

Open the corridor to the outside world and let the orcs run for the new opening.

While they die on your support traps, recover all useful materials that should be laying in front of your main entrance.

Raise the bridge that cuts the corridor and let the orcs go back to the main door.

rinse, repeat (You shouldn't need to repeat unless there's a ridiculous amount of orcs or your orc death corridor was too short).

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 10:13:49 am »

If you can build bridges and mechanisms then you have a weapon.  Atomsmashers are super effective against anything smaller than [SIZE:10]
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 10:35:38 am »

Yes, people don't seem to understand you can forbid items to prevent the civilian calvary brigade. If only you could forbid live creatures

Yeah. In fact, in the (o)ptions menu there is an option to forbid items on death. I can't believe more people don't use it.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 11:02:41 am »

Yeah. In fact, in the (o)ptions menu there is an option to forbid items on death. I can't believe more people don't use it.

There is? I love you.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 04:56:53 pm »

I'll need to try that.
I don't want to resort to an atomsmasher, as I can't loot their corpses for weapons and armor. And I couldn't just wall myself in for the whole siege, as the dwarven caravan came, and I had to let them in before I could let the orcs come.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 05:02:26 pm »

Build a really long corridor covered in support traps that gets out very far from your main entrance.

Open the corridor to the outside world and let the orcs run for the new opening.

While they die on your support traps, recover all useful materials that should be laying in front of your main entrance.

By support traps, I'm assuming you mean stonefall traps...that won't help him.  In Dig Deeper, orcs have [trAPAVOID].

Avoid melee with the orcs unless you have no other choice.  With NOFEAR and NOPAIN, they're really hard to stop, and will cut through rookies with nearly no effort. 
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 05:22:45 pm »

Does forbidding an object while a dwarf is actually undertaking a job with that item make them instantly stop? Because I've tried that when I've noticed dwarves striking out into the blue wonder (and screaming What the **** are you DOING?), and they don't stop immediately. They usually finish their path to the item and then turn around. Which by then it's usually too late.

After 8 years of carefully pop cap controlling my fortress...I think I'm about ready to forbid death items. I've got enough crap to sell for the next decade.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 05:59:29 pm »

By support traps, I'm assuming you mean stonefall traps...that won't help him.  In Dig Deeper, orcs have [trAPAVOID].

Avoid melee with the orcs unless you have no other choice.  With NOFEAR and NOPAIN, they're really hard to stop, and will cut through rookies with nearly no effort. 
Actually, no. He's talking about a piece of constructed rock held up by a support surrounded by traps. The orcs attack the support or trigger it to deconstruct, which kills the orcs under the constructed rock and kicks up a dust cloud to knock the orcs unconcious. At least, I think that's how it works.
But they WILL mutilate rookies. They mutilated most of my caravan, leaving ONE wagon to escape (with all those items in tow...)

Pages: [1] 2