Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to pierce an aquifer  (Read 987 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to pierce an aquifer
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:25:37 am »

Ive never had to pierce an aquifer with a cave collapse but this time I need to . All I have over it is soil so I brought some stone to collapse over it. I build the stone floor over the aquifer and then drop it in but it just deconstructs the floor and becomes stones. How am I supposed to handle this? Thanks for the advice.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to pierce an aquifer
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:29:39 am »

You can only pierce it with natural soil/stone layers. 

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:30:45 am »

That was what I tried first but it didn't work, dropping soil into it proved to be ineffective.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:33:03 am »

Any construction will disassemble as you have witnessed, however any natural soil/rock will not

depending on how big you want the stairwell to be is how big you need to make an area at least larger than 3x3

step 1: Find an area where you can drop natural soil into the aquifer.
2: Go to the level thats just above the aquifer and channel the area you are breaching out making sure you have a 1x1 tile all around the channeled section.
3: Go up a level and dig out the square of soil you are dropping, do this for each level up you want to.
4: Disconnect all but the last tile holding your rectangular prism of soil up.
5: Clear the area
6: Drop the prism
7: ? ? ?
8: Aquifer is now breached, remember to not dig outside of your breaching area.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:37:35 am »

Do I have to drop soil walls or are soil floors good enough? I think I dropped a soil floor.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:43:04 am »

drop a wall.

here are some images to help, all after the breach but still helpful
I dropped 2 Z-levels of soil in because I could, 1 will suffice.

Just above the aquifer, the soil on the interior is where I channeled out the floor to expose the aquifer.

1 floor up, where the floor is located is where I channeled out from around the soil block, the ground inside the soil was not mined out.

2 floors up, the red box dicatates where the soil block existed, the open space above that is where I channeled out the ground to separate it  allowing it to drop.

Aquifer level, do not go past the red line in digging.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:10:21 am »

YOURS IS THE CAVE-IN THAT WILL PEIRCE THE AQUIFIERS!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:51:54 am »

Thanks ive understood how it works however I unfortunately only had 2 layers of soil over a 2 level aquifer. Fortunately I found a magma vent and even though I wanted to keep my base at its original location it seems that wont work out and ill have to move my base a bit to the right and build it around the lava.  I had been hoping that I could drop the obsidian in to avoid moving my base but it wont work, I only managed to pierce 1 level of the aquifer.

Fortunately this time the wild life isnt as dangerous as last time. Skeletal deer and skeletal cougars are nothing compared to skeletal camels.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:54:46 am by psychologicalshock »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 11:01:19 am »

This is why, when I embark on a site with an aquifer, I always make sure at least one tile of the embark is a biome without an aquifer.  This lets me get below the aquifer with ease to obtain stone and minerals.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 12:22:05 pm »

This is why, when I embark on a site with an aquifer, I always make sure at least one tile of the embark is a biome without an aquifer.  This lets me get below the aquifer with ease to obtain stone and minerals.
Unfortunately the site finder only gives one result so usually there isn't much choice I think the flux+vent combo is the only one in my world.  Seems that whenever I ask for such a combo I always get plains.