Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 40D13 Giant Bat PUP dies of old age.  (Read 1928 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40D13 Giant Bat PUP dies of old age.
« on: January 31, 2010, 12:14:41 am »

I just had this happen to a giant bat pup which came with some migrants and I had put into a cage. I think it was suppoused to grow into an adult, but for some reason decided to die of accellerated aging...

I think its some really wierd fluke and I have no explaination for it since I haven't touched the age stuff for Giant Bats.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: 40D13 Giant Bat PUP dies of old age.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 03:51:32 pm »

Do you have a screenshot of the announcement, or a save that reproduces the bug?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 04:43:16 pm »

Most likely you incorrectly modified the giant bat raws, since there's no way you could get one with a migrant - giant bats only spawn in chasms and bottomless pits, and they're always wild and have to be captured and tamed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »

Most likely you incorrectly modified the giant bat raws, since there's no way you could get one with a migrant

Or he might have thrown off the creature index.  smjjames, have you been using any mods that add/remove creatures?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 05:07:50 pm »

I'm using Maydays graphics pack, but I did make it so that the dwarves and humans can trade in animals like the elves do (except I can ask for them) and as a consequence, can have migrants bring various other animals.

For the message itself, it said exactly this: The Giant Bat pup (tame) has died of old age. Its the first time I've ever seen that particular message, not the old age part, but an otherwise baby animal dying of old age.

The fort that I have had that in has gone a couple of years since that event, so I don't see how a save now would help.

If you mean by mods that add/remove creatures like Dig Deeper, no.

@Quietust: It wasn't the giant bat raws that were modified, its the civ entity raws that allow this.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 05:24:24 pm »

Mmkay, probably not the fault of mods then.

Was the bat ever taken out of the cage after you first put it in?  Do you know how many years it had been since the migrants brought it?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 05:57:38 pm »

I know it was a bit after I had that wierd merchant incident (mentioned in the 'Whats going on in your fort? thread. Never did find out what happened) since I used the cage from that and I had a big influx of migrants due to stuff that dropped. It came at the same time as one of the GCS's (I now have a mating pair) and one of the Giant toads, so it was at least a year. My fort is near the end of its fourth year, so the um..... arg! its hard to tell without timestamps. Anyways, I put it into the cage very soon after arrival since I didn't want it to cause lag and I was planning on butchering it once it reached adulthood.

I'll try legends, but I really doubt it will help. I know it came with the whole slew of migrants that I got in the second year and I think it died in the third year.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 06:00:11 pm »

Yeah, I'm out of ideas.  Maybe cages turn into time warps or something.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 06:05:57 pm »

Yeah, I'm out of ideas.  Maybe cages turn into time warps or something.

Cages do prevent corpses from rotting, though they don't prevent creatures from growing up.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 06:11:27 pm »

There were no native giant bats in the chasm I had, just a bunch of giant moles, giant rats, and large rats. I did have another one later during the fourth year which was actually owned (unlike the previous which was a no-name stray), that second one I tweaked the raws to aquatic because I've had FPS issues with flying pets before.

The merchants could have brought one along, but that shouldn't affect anything.

Also, I seem to have had a virgin wild Giant Olm birth, and its the only Giant Olm on the map. Merchant animals seem to be able to send spores right through their cage.

Just checked legends and they are no help.

EDIT: Just realized something, maybe it did get timewarped somehow because I have GCS set to mature in five years and live between 200 and 250 years, but the two that I got as spiderlings (they tagged along with migrants) grew up in a year or so. Also, the Giant Bat pup died right in the cage, in case I hadn't given that info already.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:19:05 pm by smjjames »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 02:03:04 am »

EDIT: Just realized something, maybe it did get timewarped somehow because I have GCS set to mature in five years and live between 200 and 250 years, but the two that I got as spiderlings (they tagged along with migrants) grew up in a year or so.

Nah, those were probably just generated at age 4.

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 10:38:37 pm »

Did you change the age at which Giant Bats grow up too? If so, perhaps the game still spawned it within the old range for Pups but above the new maturation date, and then it never grew up because it already should have been an adult?
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 11:50:46 pm »

Did you change the age at which Giant Bats grow up too? If so, perhaps the game still spawned it within the old range for Pups but above the new maturation date, and then it never grew up because it already should have been an adult?

I already said that I hadn't touched the age stuff for giant bats. The age stuff for GCS has been like that for a while.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »

I know its a double post, but its for good reason.

This same bug kind of happened again. By kind of, I mean its the same circumstances except that it grew up as normal (it came during the first year) and then just now in the third year it died of old age.

I don't know what is going on, but something is funky.

Also, in my current fort, just one naked mole dog managed to live long enough for my DM to arrive and give birth to two pups before dying soon after. Maybe I'll observe this rare opportunity and see what happens, FOR SCIENCE! :)

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 08:14:47 am »

"mirigants and the pets they bring have a randomly generated age'

maybe , maybe , it still a bug that the creature spawned with a very old age , and yet is still a young
Pages: [1] 2