Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Party Revamp  (Read 743 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Party Revamp
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »

Okay, so I rather like the idea of parties, but with the current implementation I generally don't allow them by never designating a meeting area/statue hall. The fact that they can last a whole year is annoying, and they completely grind work to a standstill in the fortress... On top of that, they don't really have any positive effect.

So what if there was a positive effect? Say, you could throw a fortress-wide party after killing a megabeast, or defeating a siege... or just because you feel like it. It would function as a holiday of sorts, maybe a month long instead of a year long one. Dwarves would get a huge happiness boost from having one, and have an increase in productivity after it was over. It could possibly boost the chances of strange moods occurring as well.

Parties could also spread your reputation, giving more high-quaity migrants and less peasants, or increase the amount of goods traders show up with. It would also attract more, larger sieges, though that isn't nessisarily a bad thing.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

groo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Party Revamp
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:34:25 pm »

Don't know about the reputation thing (I've got a mental image of a bunch of goblins going 'hey, the dwarves are throwing a totally kickin' party over in Volumebladders, let's go crash it!') but I like the first lot of ideas a fair bit. The main problem with parties and certain other things in Dwarf Fortress (DRINKING) is that they take an unrealistically long amount of time, so the simplest fix to begin with would be just disallowing single parties from lasting well into the months/seasons/years (?!).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Party Revamp
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:45:43 pm »

There have been many threads exploring the ideas of festivals, holidays, banquets and player-initiated parties:

Time to par-tay!
Call to meeting area
Festivals and holidays- some new ideas
Tea parties
Banquets
Feasts and holidays
Celebrations and Holidays
Feasts!

It would be good if the replies in this thread try to build on those discussions, rather than repeat them.  Also, just for context, here are the relevant dev items:

# Req543, MEETING/CONVERSATION/GAME/PARTY LINKS, (Future): Many social activities in the game should be further organized and consolidated.

# Bloat92, BETTER PARTIES, (Future): Official and commemorative parties. If it is a party for a unit, they can invite friends and family. If it is an official party, it can start from the top nobles and go down. There can be organized feasts and so on.